Author Topic: NIB Apple Design Keyboard (black)  (Read 1989 times)

Offline 1391406

NIB Apple Design Keyboard (black)
« on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 09:51:30 »
I don't recall ever seeing an Apple Design Keyboard that looks like this. I'm not about to pay $300+ BIN for an NIB version, but I'm assuming the color is rare:

Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Turbo Slaab

Re: NIB Apple Design Keyboard (black)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 09:54:50 »
That font is hideous. One more reason to hate apple. :))
Looking for CC's!

Offline 1391406

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 09:56:24 »
Same font as the Apple Extended's.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 10:09:20 »
This is not definitive, but the Apple Design Keyboards that I have found with detachable cords have Alps-compatible PBT caps and the ones with fixed cords do not.

I do not see a note about how this one connects.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 13:12:06 »
Yeah, these weren't all that loved.  Wikipedia confirms:

This was the first major redesign of the Apple keyboard, featuring more fluid, curving lines to match the look of the new Apple product style. It was an unpopular replacement for the Apple Extended Keyboard II in 1994. Significantly lighter than its predecessors, it had a much softer and quieter key interface that was unpopular with many typists. It also included only one ADB port for mice or other pointing devices, concealed on the underside, with the keyboard's cable permanently attached.[9] The Extended II had an ADB port on either side of the keyboard, allowing the keyboard cable or mouse to be attached to the side preferred by the user. This keyboard was also produced in black using the same model number (like the Apple Keyboard II before it), for inclusion with the black Performa 5420 released primarily in Europe, and the black Power Macintosh 5500 released in Asia.

Hard to beat the Extended II if you're talking about Apple Alps keyboards.

Edit: But... I do like the color! That is rare.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 13:15:05 by aggiejy »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 16:35:24 »
The color is legit.  I recall the keyboard, and I think there was a product to match, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.

I do remember it was a bold statement of non-beige.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Apple Computer, Inc. 1989 - 1997
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case