geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Wood Filco TKL / Phantom case

<< < (2/18) > >>

Heliosphere:
That is incredibly gorgeous! But as a student, this is out of my spending capacity for a case. I'll take one in a few years, maybe. :)

Elrick:

--- Quote from: tubby on Sat, 14 June 2014, 03:25:08 ---But... for now, I'm trying to gauge interest on how many would be interested in a $250-280 wood TKL case - tentatively, material would be Indian Rosewood.
(Pricing excludes plate, metal finish, shipping/Paypal fees - shipping will be from Indonesia, preferably by EMS)

--- End quote ---

I like the fact you are doing it in Indonesia because I'm located deep south in the city of Perth, Western Australia hence the postal cost should be next to nothing  8) .

pasph:
Interested as a Filco case.

pexon:
Oh god, Oh god, Oh god, Oh god, Oh god, Oh god. That is STUNNING.

I'm selling my TKL soon, but seeing this makes me want to keep it  :(

tubby:

--- Quote from: bueller on Sat, 14 June 2014, 03:30:17 ---Probably out of my price range at the moment but if I had the money I'd totally be in, absolutely beautiful work.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Heliosphere on Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:31:12 ---That is incredibly gorgeous! But as a student, this is out of my spending capacity for a case. I'll take one in a few years, maybe. :)

--- End quote ---
If there is sufficient demand, I might be making this (and several other wooden products) for some time, and might even set up a thread in the 'artisan services' subsection.
Should that happen, you guys can contact me anytime when you need one ;)

--- Quote from: Beca on Sat, 14 June 2014, 03:31:10 ---Well, that is gorgeous. Really nice keycaps as well, wow.

--- End quote ---
Thank you for the kind words, Beca.

--- Quote from: LechnerDE on Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:12:39 ---The ebony case is absolutely beautiful!

Does the steelplate allow switch top removal without desoldering? I'd be interested in an ANSI 1.5 layout.

I prefer my keyboards flat on the table. Is there an option to get a bottom part that is not angled?

--- End quote ---
Yes, the stainless steel plate has the notches to allow switch top removal without disordering.
However, well have to collect enough orders of the same layout to make pricing reasonable. Seeing ANSI150 is a popular one, we could very well make it our default plate layout ;)

The current design is angled at about 5 with its adjustable feet folded in.  About 10 when raised.
Technically its very much possible to make the bottom part flat.  Would actually even reduce production time and cost =)
However, if it is ok with you, Id like to wait for a few more days to see the interests in this. If it ended up to be less than a handful, I can try to arrange to make each order a custom order =)
But your liking for the Ebony case may be a difficult one to please

--- Quote from: Elrick on Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:30:08 ---I'm in this if you decide to proceed with it because there is no other case design which even comes close to yours  :thumb: .

Just make sure that the material you are cutting and fashioning the case from is 100% seasoned wood.  The final top coat has to be a 2-part clear finish because that is the ABSOLUTE hardest clear coat to apply on any wood finish.

If you really are interested in using the best materials in realizing this keyboard then sign me up.

--- End quote ---
Thank you for the compliment, Elrick.
Unfortunately, Im not certain of the moisture content in the wood used for the prototypes and that includes the Ebony wood.
It is, however, in my best interest to get the best materials to get this going, but sadly getting my hands on Ebony wood wasn't easy, moreover one which has already been kiln dried. And kiln drying a small amount of them would not be feasible.
But should Indian Rosewood be the final choice of material, I'll definitely try to get them already seasoned well.

As for the finishing, I could have it coated in polyurethane, which should provide a hardened finish and are quite resistant to scratches.
But I am open to suggestions and will try my best to get it fulfilled =)

Actually, once I get the Ebony case completed, I am planning to offer it to one lucky (or unlucky?) individual at an "introductory" price for review, before producing more of them for sale.
You seem to know how you like your wood, and could make one good candidate, Elrick :)

--- Quote from: Elrick on Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:33:07 ---I like the fact you are doing it in Indonesia because I'm located deep south in the city of Perth, Western Australia hence the postal cost should be next to nothing  8) .

--- End quote ---
Yeah, Indonesia is the very next country above you. And being in Perth makes us even closer :thumb:

--- Quote from: pasph on Sat, 14 June 2014, 05:22:25 ---Interested as a Filco case.

--- End quote ---
Thank you for your interest, pasph :thumb:

--- Quote from: pexon on Sat, 14 June 2014, 05:26:27 ---Oh god, Oh god, Oh god, Oh god, Oh god, Oh god. That is STUNNING.

I'm selling my TKL soon, but seeing this makes me want to keep it  :(

--- End quote ---
Keeping a TKL shouldn't take up too much space in your collection, pexon ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version