Author Topic: 60% Ortholinear w/ Trackpoint  (Read 5673 times)

Offline musclecups

60% Ortholinear w/ Trackpoint
« on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 22:17:18 »
Hey guys, I'm shopping around this idea for what may be my ideal layout.

129345-0

Guiding principles for design:
  • I love my Thinkpad's Trackpoint. Often in my workflow, I can move the cursor and submit the necessary command before my hand could have made it to my mouse.
  • Ortholinear boards are all the rage.  I'd like to try one.
  • Custom keycaps should fit as much as possible.
  • Smaller boards are cheaper and more portable.
  • Semi-split layout will reduce wrist strain
  • Fully programmable boards are the most useful.

Design decisions:
  • Integrated Trackpoint
  • Ortholinear Grid layout
  • All the keys in white come from a standard 60% kit. The greens are extra.
  • Basically a 60% board
  • One key width of split allows for further hand spacing AND Trackpoint integration.  No need to cut any keycaps to accommodate the trackpoint.
  • I'm pretty sure that using a Trackpoint with a Teensy running TMK firmware is well documented.

note: The key marked "clit mouse" is not a key at all, but where the trackpoint will be mounted. I didn't see the right way to insert one on the editor.

The downsides:

Looks funky
    Not symmetrical
    A few non-standard keycaps

I'm fairly new to the scene, so there may already exist a keyboard just like this one.  If not, let me know how I can make this one better.

Here is the layout, if you'd care to tinker.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/##@@_a:6%3B&=Esc&_x:0.25&a:4%3B&=~%0A%60&=!%0A1&=%2F@%0A2&=%23%0A3&=$%0A4&=%25%0A5&_c=%2367bf7a&a:6&h:2%3B&=Fn&_c=%23cccccc&a:4%3B&=^%0A6&=%2F&%0A7&=*%0A8&=%28%0A9&=%29%0A0&=%2F_%0A-&=+%0A%2F=&_w:2%3B&=Delete%3B&@_x:0.75&w:1.5%3B&=Tab&=Q&=W&=E&=R&=T&_x:1%3B&=Y&=U&=I&=O&=P&={%0A[&=}%0A]&_w:1.5%3B&=|%0A\%3B&@_x:0.5&w:1.75%3B&=Caps%20Lock&=A&=S&=D&=F&=G&_c=%2367bf7a%3B&=middle%0Aclick&_c=%23cccccc%3B&=H&=J&=K&=L&=%2F:%0A%2F%3B&=%22%0A%27&_w:2.25%3B&=Enter%3B&@_w:2.25%3B&=Shift&=Z&=X&=C&=V&=B&_c=%23eb1515&t=%23decaca%3B&=Clit%0AMouse&_c=%23cccccc&t=%23000000%3B&=N&=M&=%3C%0A,&=%3E%0A.&=%3F%0A%2F%2F&_w:2.75%3B&=Shift%3B&@_w:1.25%3B&=Ctrl&_w:1.25%3B&=Super&_w:1.25%3B&=Alt&_c=%2367bf7a%3B&=Meta&_w:2.5%3B&=Backspace&=Hyper&_w:2.75%3B&=Space&_c=%23cccccc&w:1.25%3B&=Alt&_w:1.25%3B&=Win&_w:1.25%3B&=Menu&_w:1.25%3B&=Ctrl%3B&@_x:6.75&c=%2367bf7a%3B&=Left%0AClick&=Right%0AClick

**sorry, not sure how to make that look better - the url doesn't fit in the tag**

Also, here's a slight alteration with the mouse keys tucked in, so as to keep the board to 5 rows.

129347-1

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: 60% Ortholinear w/ Trackpoint
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 08:09:26 »
There are already so many similar (but not exactly identical) boards in the market.

If you want to make a real difference, build a board with split layout that maybe you can connect back together when you need to.

The reality is that most of us never use the mouse with both hands. Figure out which hand prefers the mouse and put it on that side of the keyboard.

That function key is also located out of the way. Unless you don't expect to use the function layer very much, it is located precisely where both hands have most difficulty reaching. See why the shift, alt, ctrl keys are located on the lower rows? Because it is easier to trigger function layers on the lower rows using thumb or little finger, and letting the three longer fingers actuate the other keys.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline musclecups

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 17:53:12 »
I suppose the reason it's in the middle is because my thinkpad's trackpoint is in the middle.  I'm guessing to accommodate both right and left handedness.

I wouldn't want to use any finger but my index to trackpoint with, and I always keep my index fingers right near the middle of the board.  I think that's really the only place to put a trackpoint, otherwise, you're just as well off using a mouse.

I got some suggestions on some other forums, and here are some changes people thought were positive.129482-0

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 20:13:40 »
I suppose the reason it's in the middle is because my thinkpad's trackpoint is in the middle.  I'm guessing to accommodate both right and left handedness.

I wouldn't want to use any finger but my index to trackpoint with, and I always keep my index fingers right near the middle of the board.  I think that's really the only place to put a trackpoint, otherwise, you're just as well off using a mouse.

I got some suggestions on some other forums, and here are some changes people thought were positive. (Attachment Link)

If you're making lshift 1u, why not the caps lock and tab as well? That will reduce keyboard size.

On the right side, I see rshift and fn are both 1u. That is not so wise. My experience on using ISO and JIS keyboards where the rshift has been split into 2 keys is that you can't put two layer keys next to each other. Very hard to avoid triggering the wrong one.

Also if you are building your own board instead of relying on a commercial maker, I suggest a trackball rather than a trackpoint. Trackpoints often break. And avoid a teeny weeny trackball which is damn hard to use in practice. Having used many trackballs before I believe the minimum usable size is the Kensington Orbit wireless. The ball and assembly inside should be about 1 inch across.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline musclecups

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 21:56:35 »
I'm leaving those keys standard size so the keycaps will be more easily customized.  In the picture only the green ones need to be sourced (excluding home/end). 

I'm really quite attached to the trackpoint.  For me, it's quicker and requires less movement than a roller ball.