geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Midas DSA (Looking for renders/GB partner)

(1/9) > >>

JDragon:
10/12/2016 Update - looking for someone that can help me with renders, as well as an experienced GB lead

Please fill out my feedback-gathering Google Form! https://goo.gl/forms/LRLySQHOLcWtqUzH3

Midas DSA: "A Touch of Gold"

First interest check, bear with me and please let me know if there's anything I'm missing or doing wrong. Very, very open to suggestions.

My goal with this keycap set is to make a simple, elegant set in the timeless black and gold colorway. The set will be in SP doubleshot DSA profile, using ABS color codes NN and YG. (All colors from: http://pimpmykeyboard.com/colors/)

The base kit is meant to support standard ANSI 60% and TKL layouts. It also includes a 1.75u Shift and 1u Fn to support the popular split right shift layout, as well as a stepped caps lock. Scooped/non-scooped F and J keys are included. The base colorway is simple gold on black (with a gold spacebar and Esc), as I feel that this is the least gaudy color scheme. All modifier legends will be in all caps per SP's usual DSA lettering.

The numpad kit is fairly standard.

The adapter kit is meant to support some of the more common layouts. The key sizes go, by row, 1u, 1.25u, 1.5u, 1.75u and 7u.

New to this iteration - I've split out the ISO kit into a separate kit. Standard UK ISO keys included - I'm not an ISO user so please let me know if there are any changes to be made here.

Additional homing keys to support additional layouts.

Here's a 40% kit.

And an Ergodox kit.

A blank kit, with VE.A spacebars and some other filler keys.

Finally, we have two alternate color kits available. The first adds golden alphas + function keys for a brighter experience.

The second is a gray modifier kit. (I only work in black... and sometimes very, very dark gray.) Color code here is GB.

Finally, a picture of the actual color chips:

IMO, YG and NN look like the best candidates for a black/gold look, but please let me know if you feel otherwise. An album with all the relevant SP color chips is here: http://imgur.com/a/YFu3z

Things to be worked on:

1. Novelties
2. SP Price Check

Please let me know your thoughts, thank you!

EDIT: Suggestions to be implemented:

1. Gold enter key and gold arrow keys as suggested by /r/hervuli Done!
2. Split out ISO kit, add remaining UK ISO keys as pointed out by /u/awjc Done!
3. Deus Ex-related novelty as suggested by /u/swimming-bird and many others - 2 1.25u triangle keys, 2 1u triangle keys 
4. Alternate modifier kit - dark gray as suggested by /u/Sitiak_  Done!
5. Switch stepped caps lock into the base kit as suggested by /u/PlainEminem Done!

Novelty Idea Ground:
1. Deus Ex Golden Triangle - no issues with this one, will definitely be in a potential novelty kit
2. Hand of Midas from DotA
3. Giant dollar sign
4. Bag of coins

Shados:
I've been wanting a gold on black set, so I'm interested. You might wanna consider a black on gold alternate modifier set in addition to the alternate alpha set.

xondat:
I think gold is supposed to shine, and these won't so it'll be hard to look good in my opinion.

How come you have a gold backspace in the alt set?

JDragon:

--- Quote from: xondat on Wed, 07 September 2016, 18:18:57 ---I think gold is supposed to shine, and these won't so it'll be hard to look good in my opinion.

How come you have a gold backspace in the alt set?

--- End quote ---

Oops, that backspace isn't supposed to be in there. I was originally doing a full black on gold alternate kit and forgot to take that out.

It's ABS, so you can add your own shine. :P

In all seriousness though, I think non-shiny gold is fine as legends or accents (hence why the base kit is all gold on black). I feel like the contrast helps offset the lack of shininess.

--- Quote from: Shados on Wed, 07 September 2016, 18:17:36 ---I've been wanting a gold on black set, so I'm interested. You might wanna consider a black on gold alternate modifier set in addition to the alternate alpha set.

--- End quote ---

I was originally planning on that but didn't like the way it looked in KLE. Might be a good kit to have also if enough people are interested.

Vigrith:
As an avid Whitefox fan and user I appreciate the addition of the 1.75u!

I like this a lot, black on gold is a nice colour scheme that I've yet to get my hands on when it comes to key sets. Regarding shine I really don't mind, I actually think it looks best this way with a more muted colour feel to it, it's attractive whilst remaining discreet. Would match my QP1R quite nicely.

PS: I'd really like the gold alphas alt kit too, looks sassy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version