geekhack Marketplace > Great Finds

Not-So-Great Finds

<< < (3/91) > >>

mrduul:
That is about right, this beamspring is unique with the IBM badge and the top compartment. never seen one like this actually.

Needs it paint stripped and a good powder coat

ander:
Interestingly, the same seller has just listed another just like it—but this time he's painted it first. Could it be the same board? Or maybe he had more than one in similar condition? And is it anyone here?

SneakyRobb:

--- Quote from: ander on Thu, 10 August 2017, 18:18:11 ---Interestingly, the same seller has just listed another just like it—but this time he's painted it first. Could it be the same board? Or maybe he had more than one in similar condition? And is it anyone here?

--- End quote ---

Very strange. It could be the same. Regardless  I would prefer them to not repaint it. The colour is off. It would have been better to sell as is. I'd rather bare metal than an imitation which they say could easily scratch or chip

With that much rust I would be somewhat concerned about the interior condition of this board.  Seller says it works, but even dust can affect these. That much rust without the shield on is pretty sad. They went to the trouble to remove the keycaps and clean them but not the rust? Also painting the case though? Why not a quick rinse of the upper metal frame and sealing? Very odd.

I don't think it's malicious, but this is odd. It's clearly a real BS, but why did they do this to it...?  I'd personally wait for the next beamspring to come up.

ander:
Now here's a rare find: Someone took one of Unicomp's surplus blue-logo industrial cases (which were never, to my knowledge, used for any actual Model M's), filled it with parts from another M, stuck the other M's plate label on the back of the case (which would've been blank), and is offering it on eBay as a "refurbished, modified" M for a BIN of "only" $289 shipped:

"Refurbished & Modified IBM Model M Keyboard w/1 year warranty"

To be fair, they did do a very nice job refinishing the plate:

...though that seems like a lot of work for nothing, as it normally wouldn't be visible. And they're included a Soarer's cable, since most people have portables without PS/2 connections these days.

rowdy:

--- Quote from: ander on Thu, 17 August 2017, 16:32:15 ---Now here's a rare find: Someone took one of Unicomp's surplus blue-logo industrial cases (which were never, to my knowledge, used for any actual Model M's), filled it with parts from another M, stuck the other M's plate label on the back of the case (which would've been blank), and is offering it on eBay as a "refurbished, modified" M for a BIN of "only" $289 shipped:

"Refurbished & Modified IBM Model M Keyboard w/1 year warranty"

Show Image

Show Image

To be fair, they did do a very nice job refinishing the plate:

Show Image

...though that seems like a lot of work for nothing, as it normally wouldn't be visible. And they're included a Soarer's cable, since most people have portables without PS/2 connections these days.

--- End quote ---

AND they replaced the green LEDs with blue - don't forget that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version