Author Topic: Does anyone have any experience with the CH DT225 trackball?  (Read 7097 times)

Offline Ranma13

Does anyone have any experience with the CH DT225 trackball?
« on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 02:45:11 »

http://www.trackballworld.com/chproducts.html

If so, can you give some impressions? Most notably, whether it's worth the $230 and how it compares to other trackballs such as the CST LaserTrac. Also, is there a significant difference between the USB and PS/2 versions? Thanks!
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87U variable-weight, Filco Majestouch Brown Cherry Otaku, Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate
Mice (trackball): CH DT225, IBM L40, CST LaserTRAC, Kensington Orbit
Mice (regular): Logitech G9, Steelseries Xai, Roccat Kova, Razer Orochi

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 05:11:39 »
They're meant to be very well built. I'm not sure whether they are sufficiently better compared with the CST to justify the price. You'd have to ask Ripster or the like.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 07:21:54 »
I got one of those off of ebay awhile ago. It was way cheap too. It is a well made trackball but I don't think it is worth $230.
I ended up selling mine to a fellow geekhacker. I wasn't able to map the top two buttons to my liking.
You want a nice 4 button mouse? Get a kensington expert or slimblade.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 07:23:45 »
I bought BigPook's DT225. I use it with a round rock, and have rarely been back to my mouse. I think it's a great trackball, if just slightly slow in tracking speed.

I think it's one of the only trackballs that actually has steel rollers, too.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 07:33:43 »
Quote from: bigpook;142545
I got one of those off of ebay awhile ago. It was way cheap too. It is a well made trackball but I don't think it is worth $230.
I ended up selling mine to a fellow geekhacker. I wasn't able to map the top two buttons to my liking.

+1 for the Kensington.

Probably not as well built, but you get a scroll wheel and wrist rest too.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 07:37:48 »
LOL, what are the chances that someone would ask a question about the trackball that like half of the site picked up off of eBay on a tip.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 08:23:57 »
I should add that its not that the DT225 is a bad mouse. I just don't think its worth 230 dollars.

NIB for 20 bucks shipped on ebay would be a much better price. I don't think they are available anymore though.

Offline Ranma13

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 13:20:04 »
Quote from: bigpook;142545

Doesn't the Slimblade have trouble remapping the top 2 keys?

Quote from: ch_123;142549
LOL, what are the chances that someone would ask a question about the trackball that like half of the site picked up off of eBay on a tip.

Heh actually, that's exactly why I asked. I'm interested in it (though I'm slightly put off that it's PS/2 only).

I have a Kensington Expert on order right now, but the reviews on Amazon said that the ball movement is not as smooth as it could be because it doesn't use steel rollers.

The LaserTRAC is another one I'm considering, but that one guy on Geekhack said that the angle is bad for his wrist and judging by the pictures, it does look that way.
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87U variable-weight, Filco Majestouch Brown Cherry Otaku, Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 13:24:30 »
Very cool but no scroll.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Ranma13

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 13:48:20 »
Hmm, you're right. I guess that limits it to the LaserTRAC then. I'm looking for something with a scroll wheel/ring, with 4 programmable buttons preferred.

By the way, has anybody managed to find the 'extension' buttons that can plug into the back of the LaserTRAC?

Offline Ranma13

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 14:24:56 »
Yeah, I saw your post on that. Unfortunately I was hoping for something a little more user-friendly, as I don't have woodworking skills.

Offline Ranma13

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 14:34:13 »
Maybe you can turn it into a business. I know I'd be willing to buy one if it was decently modded.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 15:02:10 »
the slimblade works fine under linux. all 4 buttons work. I think you need to be running the latest kernel though.

The ball on the kensington expert is very smooth. It doesn't use metal rollers which I suppose would be more durable; but not as smooth as the  'ruby pointers' that the expert uses.

I had the lasertrak which IS a nice trackball, but not for me. It killed my elbow.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 22:08:00 »
Quote from: Ranma13;142630
Doesn't the Slimblade have trouble remapping the top 2 keys?

A little bit if you use Windows (Linux is fine, dunno about Mac).

For Windows (tested in Windows 7 64-bit and WinXP) you can use the hacked version of the software here. See this thread for details on the japanese.

To use it. Just install the version of the Kensington software v1.00. Copy the two exe's from the website (SBT4ButtonPatch100.zip) to the software installation directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\Kensington\SlimBlade Trackball). Then run SBT4ButtonPatch.exe. Restart the software, then use SBTConfigurator.exe to change the top two buttons.

I only really needed the Middle Click, so I haven't really discovered what X1 and X2 are for (maybe when work slows down a bit).

Overall, I'm really liking the Slimblade. I really like the scrolling mechanism.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 23:16:19 »
My DT225 sticks a bit.

However, I'm frustrated by a want of buttons.  The competition is a Logitech G5 (4 buttons + wheel) Rigged as 3-button, you can cope with Marble Mouse Scroll, but it's incompatible with IE8.  http://simans.net/marble/
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Ranma13

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 December 2009, 00:09:42 »
Damn, wish I knew about the hacked drivers before I bought the LaserTRAC this afternoon!

...Oh well. I'll probably end up ordering a Slimblade anyway.

And I'm still trying to win two eBay auctions for a Trackpoint L40 and DT225...

Curse you Geekhack!

And I haven't even received my two keyboards yet, but I'm considering getting a Filco Blue Cherry...