Author Topic: Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard for 2018 macbook pro  (Read 1372 times)

Offline ebridge2

Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard for 2018 macbook pro
« on: Fri, 11 January 2019, 20:34:47 »
As the title suggests, I recently bought a macbook pro 2018. I am looking for the best possible mechanical keyboard (cherry blue or brown switches) that can be used via bluetooth for under 200. As I currently own a Majestouch and LOVe it for my desktop (Linux), I am wondering how the Majestouch convertible 2 works via bluetooth for on-the-go programming with a Macbook pro. I have read a few forums with people using Majestouch Convertible 2 with either previous versions of the Macbook Pro, or generally commenting that the Filco line of keyboards are fine with mac as long as you go with a suitable keyboard remapper (Karabiner seems most popular). With that said, I have no doubt the keyboards will "work" with macbooks with a wire, but I am still skeptical with the keyboards working with the latest generation macbook pros via bluetooth, which is a hard requirement for me.

Does anybody have any personal experience/can point to a link of getting this keyboard working via bluetooth with a 2018 macbook pro, or could point to a preferred alternative if one exists? My sole requirements are, in order of preference:
1) Bluetooth
2) Built like a tank
3) under $200
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2019, 20:36:39 by ebridge2 »

Offline mattlach

Re: Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard for 2018 macbook pro
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 16:08:42 »
My first thought is, why not just plug it in via USB?   Why the focus on bluetooth?   I don't understand why anyone would use wireless tech, when wires are so much more reliable. 

Anyway, there might be Bluetooth enabled mechanical boards.  I have no idea, I've never researched it, as I have never even considered going wireless for my keyboard and mouse, but I have seen that there are adapters out there you can buy that will turn any USB keyboard into a Bluetooth wireless keyboard.  (Not sure how they keep them powered, but there must be a battery or something).

Seriously though.  I don't understand why anyone would sabotage a highly reliable wired keyboard, by going Bluetooth. It's such a downgrade.   I don't care what it is, anything wired is always better, higher performing and more reliable than anything wireless.  Doesn't matter if it is networking, input devices, charging (for power), display sharing, music, you name it.  Wired is always better, unless you ABSOLUTELY need mobility.
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 17:24:49 »
Bolt modded Model M with the Bluetooth replacement controller?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 17:34:15 »
I use an HHKB BT with my 2018 MacBook Pro and I LOVE it!

Offline mac2

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 22:28:35 »
I love my Anne Pro 2, which can be used with Bluetooth or USB C connection. It works on Windows and Mac and even iOS and Android.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk