geekhack Community > Keyboards

Zealios V2 - opinions

<< < (6/7) > >>

Blasku:
Hi!
Decided to register because of the last post: as a new owner of a Zealio V2 67g keeb I built myself, i'd like to respectfully disagree and state that
it doesn't really...

What you must understand that this is how the V2 is different. Truth be told, I was also (unpleasantly) surprised how the new Zealio isn't an Ergo Clear variant anymore. Which is what I originally expected.

Maybe I'm just new to the world of very tactile switches, but the V2 is in fact so tactile that I think it would be unusable for anything else than typing text if it weren't for the lower actuation point. Imagine having to overcome that (otherwise very nice and rounded) bump each and every time you press an arrow key for browsing a webpage. Your fingers would get sore after hours of that.
But if you first overcome that bump, then you can repeatedly activate the switch by utilizing the lower actuation point without having to fully release the key.

Sadly, the actuation is so low, that there's hardly any travel left before bottoming out. So if I try to touch type like on my MX Clears or spring-modded Browns, a lot of keys don't even register! This switch forces you to bottom out. Which feels great because of the satisfying clack, but I wouldn't consider Zealio V2 any good for gaming because of this. MX Browns are much better for that in my opinion.

Gati:
After spending not a whole lot of time with them, I can say that I prefer zealios v1 over the v2. I like the gradual lead up to the somewhat snappy experience of the v1, and in comparison the v2 feels like ‘if a zealio grew a tumor’. The experience takes away from actual typing and instead focuses on extreme tactility.

To me, it’s not pleasant and almost the entirety of the key press is just overcoming the bump, even at the lightest weighting (62g), it feels more fatiguing to type on than 67g v1s (maybe I have some nerve damage, but it’s more fatiguing than an 80g linear). I want to think that this is the result of the Holy Panda mania, that Zeal fell into the hype of ‘more tactility=better’ and that he didn’t consider the ‘why?’ of it

Personally, I hope he offers the v1s again; I’d certainly buy some.

pixelpusher:

--- Quote from: Gati on Fri, 11 January 2019, 07:52:03 ---After spending not a whole lot of time with them, I can say that I prefer zealios v1 over the v2. I like the gradual lead up to the somewhat snappy experience of the v1, and in comparison the v2 feels like ‘if a zealio grew a tumor’. The experience takes away from actual typing and instead focuses on extreme tactility.

To me, it’s not pleasant and almost the entirety of the key press is just overcoming the bump, even at the lightest weighting (62g), it feels more fatiguing to type on than 67g v1s (maybe I have some nerve damage, but it’s more fatiguing than an 80g linear). I want to think that this is the result of the Holy Panda mania, that Zeal fell into the hype of ‘more tactility=better’ and that he didn’t consider the ‘why?’ of it

Personally, I hope he offers the v1s again; I’d certainly buy some.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  I hope v1 makes a comeback at some point.  My 67g v1s are still my favorite switch to this day.  I do think lubing the v2 (67g) with tribosys 3204 makes it better.  Sill a bit too snappy, but it takes some of the harshness out of the bump.  I think this design is probably better on the zilents b/c the harsh bump is cushioned on the bottoming out. 

Hypersphere:
I ordered a sample pack of Zeal switches to compare various v2 models with the v1 67g Zilents in my Tokyo60. The tactility in the v2 switches is certainly more pronounced than in the v1 switches, but I cannot decide which I prefer. Both types of switch could benefit from additional lubing.

However, at $1.00 per switch for v2 Zilents, I would prefer to buy a silenced Topre-switch keyboard, which provides silent operation and good tactility without spring/slider noise/friction.

dennis97519:
So that's why it feels so different from cherry mx clear...

The tactile bump feels too sharp to me, to the point that the switch feels stiff.

There also isn't much travel left after the bump.

I took apart the switch, the stem profile is very similar to cherry MX clear, but the leaf has a much larger radius in the bump than MX clear

I couldn't find any place still selling V1s either...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version