Author Topic: Custom TKL or 90% keyboard parts  (Read 4064 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Custom TKL or 90% keyboard parts
« on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 16:57:33 »
I just sold some stuff and came up with a good budget for building a proper custom board.

Ideally, I would like to build a 90% board but I can't for the life of me find a 90% case. The Phantom PCB seems like it'd be perfect for this project, as it's readily available and works well with AVR.

What I mean by 90%, assuming that's the correct term is:

TKL, but with the space between the arrows and pg up down del ins, etc. filled in with an additional 5 keys. Traditionally it would be a number pad, which I would like to have available via a function key.

I love the Tex TKL cases but again, I can't find one with an entirely bored out right side.

Can anyone help me out here? I have a lot of experience modding keyboards, lubing, soldering, spring swaps, etc. so that won't be an issue.

This is a picture of what I'm looking to do.
Also, is there a better option for PCB's? I know that the Phantom is popular and for good reason.

Thanks
Bryan

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Custom TKL or 90% keyboard parts
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 17:00:22 »
Have you looked at the Lightsaver? I think it's a great looking and functional MTK board

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 17:29:42 »
Have you looked at the Lightsaver? I think it's a great looking and functional MTK board

You've got a couple of options on the market. Off-the-shelf there's the CM Quickfire TK and Masterkeys Pro M. They both pretty much have the exact layout you want.

If you're set on going custom, You could either hand-wire the keyboard using a plate generated by Swills' tool or get a 96% kit (there's a few that exist on the market, mainly RS96/ZZ96/AMJ96). As another commenter pointed out, Lightsaver is certainly an option, but good luck getting your hands on one.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 17:45:13 »

http://winkeyless.kr/product/b-mini-ex-x2-pcb/

I have a feeling this is the closest you'll get without a commission or hand wiring.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 17:59:40 »
Show Image

Show Image

I have a feeling this is the closest you'll get without a commission or hand wiring.

Ah man. I imagine those acrylic cases feel pretty cheap yea?

I know SPRiT says he makes acrylic cases of all different sizes. Maybe I should try him.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 18:09:01 »
Show Image

Show Image

Ah man. I imagine those acrylic cases feel pretty cheap yea?

I know SPRiT says he makes acrylic cases of all different sizes. Maybe I should try him.
The cases are some of the communities favorite. They aren't flimsy whatsoever, probably the best of acrylic cases.

I also wouldn't support sprit, considering he still has lots of outstanding customers and since his return hasn't provided any evidence of him shipping things.

If you get the PCB sorted, I could probably get a couple plates machined/anodized and have the layout with a GON style case but probably after I finish my first GB.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 20:16:40 »
Show Image

Show Image

Ooooh I completely forgot about WKL, good spot!

P/S xondat: I saw your 60% group buy, lovely design! It sounds like you've got quite a bit of experience with prototyping, do you have your own CNC?
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 August 2016, 20:24:57 by duynguyenle »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 20:31:08 »
P/S xondat: I saw your 60% group buy, lovely design! It sounds like you've got quite a bit of experience with prototyping, do you have your own CNC?
I don't have my own CNC. I just enjoy creating and will basically take any opportunity to :)) It's why I have like 5 different projects I'm working on, keeps me busy.

Offline Data

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 07:45:14 »
I just sold some stuff and came up with a good budget for building a proper custom board.

Ideally, I would like to build a 90% board but I can't for the life of me find a 90% case. The Phantom PCB seems like it'd be perfect for this project, as it's readily available and works well with AVR.

TKL, but with the space between the arrows and pg up down del ins, etc. filled in with an additional 5 keys. Traditionally it would be a number pad, which I would like to have available via a function key.

I love the Tex TKL cases but again, I can't find one with an entirely bored out right side.

Can anyone help me out here? I have a lot of experience modding keyboards, lubing, soldering, spring swaps, etc. so that won't be an issue.

Show Image

Also, is there a better option for PCB's? I know that the Phantom is popular and for good reason.

Thanks
Bryan

You might want to rethink this.  The Phantom PCB only has 3 columns to the right of the main cluster.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 09:36:49 »

Show Image

Thanks
Bryan

You might want to rethink this.  The Phantom PCB only has 3 columns to the right of the main cluster.

Perfect. Thats what I essentially want; I don't plan on using a number cluster.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 14:12:17 »
I don't have my own CNC. I just enjoy creating and will basically take any opportunity to :)) It's why I have like 5 different projects I'm working on, keeps me busy.

That's cool man, I've got a couple of ideas floating around. Mind if I PM you sometime with a billion questions? I'd like to pick your brain and find out more about your process  ;D

Offline Data

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 14:22:50 »

Show Image

Thanks
Bryan

Perfect. Thats what I essentially want; I don't plan on using a number cluster.

OK, so really not like the picture at all then?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 14:30:52 »

That's cool man, I've got a couple of ideas floating around. Mind if I PM you sometime with a billion questions? I'd like to pick your brain and find out more about your process  ;D
Go for it :))