Author Topic: OTTAWA, ON - October 2017 Meetup  (Read 38855 times)

Offline Altis

OTTAWA, ON - October 2017 Meetup
« on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 14:38:21 »
UPDATED: This thread is now about the October 21, 2017 meetup. See posts at the end.

There has been some interest in an Ottawa-area meetup (Ontario, Canada).

I'm thinking a weekend or evening in February would work best.

Location to be determined.

Let's figure out who might be interested and what date/time works best.

People may be interested in coming up from Montreal, too, so some kind of carpooling arrangement could be made if that's the case.

I can bring boards from what's in my signature, if there are any special requests.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 September 2017, 15:44:01 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline clappingcactus

Re: OTTAWA, ON - Feb 2017 Meetup
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 16:34:25 »
I'll be bringing my VE.A and can help drive people.

We can also use it as an opportunity to decide how carpooling/travel could work for the Toronto meet-up on February 18th, which I'm helping organize some parts of as well!

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 16:53:14 »
Damn, wishing I had sprung for the enhanced license now. Only an 8 hour drive for me.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:30:18 »
Why don't we do February the 4th? It's two weeks out from the Toronto meetup so people don't get overwhelmed with constant keyboard related events?

Damn, wishing I had sprung for the enhanced license now. Only an 8 hour drive for me.

Start standing att he DMV now!!
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2017, 17:32:41 by clappingcactus »

Offline Altis

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 18:48:10 »
Why don't we do February the 4th? It's two weeks out from the Toronto meetup so people don't get overwhelmed with constant keyboard related events?

Hmm.. well, depending on how many people are interested, perhaps we'd be better off just carpooling down to Toronto for that meetup instead.

I suppose this is a bit of an interest check.  :cool:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 15:03:40 »
Hey guys, I'm also in Ottawa and am interested in the idea of a meetup! My colleague, who's also a mechanical keyboard enthusiast, said he'd be interested as well.

I have two very little kids at home, so things are busy these days and I don't make it out to too many social events. But if you guys go ahead and plan something, definitely keep me in the loop, and I'll do my best to make it out.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 18:35:03 »
Hey guys, I'm also in Ottawa and am interested in the idea of a meetup! My colleague, who's also a mechanical keyboard enthusiast, said he'd be interested as well.

I have two very little kids at home, so things are busy these days and I don't make it out to too many social events. But if you guys go ahead and plan something, definitely keep me in the loop, and I'll do my best to make it out.

Is there a particular day of the week that works best for you? I understand being a parent is a full time job but the rest of us are all pretty schedule-wise flexible, so you can really recommend what works for you and we'll work around that!

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 11:04:35 »
Is there a particular day of the week that works best for you? I understand being a parent is a full time job but the rest of us are all pretty schedule-wise flexible, so you can really recommend what works for you and we'll work around that!

That's really good of you to accommodate! Generally, evenings after the kids have gone to bed (usually after about 8:30pm) are best. But these days, it's hard to commit to much in the way of social plans no matter when they are. I'd encourage you guys to plan something that's convenient for you. I'll probably have to make a last minute decision either way. If I end up not making it to this one, hopefully I'd make it to the next one :)

I think my colleague is a little more flexible, and he also mentioned he's got a buddy from Kingston who might come up if there's an Ottawa get-together. I'll try to get those guys on here so they can weigh in as well!

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 08:11:25 »
In which case since there's at least one person in this thread that cannot make it to Toronto (and colleagues), we should try and have an Ottawa thing. Middle of the week probably a better idea than weekend so people can spend their free time with their families. How about the first Thursday of February from 730-930pm?

Offline kamek

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 14:41:34 »
I'm jmdaly's colleague that he spoke of. Thursday, February 2nd works for me.

Offline Altis

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 15:15:19 »
In which case since there's at least one person in this thread that cannot make it to Toronto (and colleagues), we should try and have an Ottawa thing. Middle of the week probably a better idea than weekend so people can spend their free time with their families. How about the first Thursday of February from 730-930pm?

Works for me. We need to figure out where to meet.

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 11:17:41 »
Tp4.. Canadian Females Compatibility +++

(Attachment Link)

TP, you're not from ottawa are you :thinking:

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 09:01:16 »
It's looking good that I'll be able to make it out at least for part of the meet-up. Have you guys thought of a location at all? Depending on what part of town everyone's in, one thought I had was Pub Italia on Preston St. It's got a great beer selection, and it's never too loud.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 15:31:51 »
Agreed about Pub Italia, they even have the nice spots on the back-side of the restaurant that are really private.

I'll call them tonight and see if I can make a reservation. I'll ask for 7 for now (I might bring a friend).

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 21:27:21 »
Agreed about Pub Italia, they even have the nice spots on the back-side of the restaurant that are really private.

I'll call them tonight and see if I can make a reservation. I'll ask for 7 for now (I might bring a friend).

Sounds great! I'll aim to be there by about 8:30pm (after the kids are in bed :) )

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 17:18:45 »
Alright reservation for 7 people starting at 7:30 under the name John Girgis at their "confessional" table has been made. See you all there. :)

Offline Altis

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 23:10:54 »
Should work for me.

Any special requests for boards?

Might be a bit strange bringing them in to a pub :p

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 07:54:21 »

If you're up for bringing your HHKB out, I've been wanting to try out a Topre board for a while now.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 08:06:02 »
Should work for me.

I'll be sure to bring a 'Spill hazard' sign. :P

I'd still like to try the Monterey Blue Alps. But if that becomes to much to carry, you can just bring the HHKB. My friend is bringing his novatouch so you'll be able to compare, jmdaly!

And I forget who (either altis or kiwi), but someone said they'd like to try vintage blacks, so I've swapped around my VE.A from MOD-H's to Vintage Blacks.

Offline s0nia

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 11:24:32 »
So what day is this happening exactly? I may be able to drive down from Montreal if it's during the weekend.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 12:59:26 »
So what day is this happening exactly? I may be able to drive down from Montreal if it's during the weekend.

Sorry s0nia, it's happening two nights from now on Thursday. :(

Offline kamek

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 12:31:55 »
I'm rather new to the hobby so I'm just hoping to try out as many boards / keycaps / switches as I can, and ask questions. I want to figure out what I like.

Offline BabrahamDinkin

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 14:39:01 »
Hi guys,

I'll do my best to be there. I have a WhiteFox that is still un-built with 65gr Zealios - I guess now I have an intense excuse to actually build it! I'll also try and bring some cool artisans (a couple otterophiles, a Fugu, a bunch of SUK Snappers, some KeyForge caps) and keysets or something. Hopefully GMK Hydro will be here by then. Also have a switch tester with some Cherrys and Gaterons.

I'll check if my roommate is available too, as he is quite into it as well. I also have a DCS set, an SA set, a GMK/Cherry set, and a flat OEM set (just the silly typewriter caps) if people have interest in trying different profiles out?

So is there an exact date for this? Is it February 9th or February 16th?

Damn. Looks like it's tomorrow. Not sure I can do it. Have fun though guys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2017, 14:42:44 by BabrahamDinkin »

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 16:15:20 »
Hi guys,

I'll do my best to be there. I have a WhiteFox that is still un-built with 65gr Zealios - I guess now I have an intense excuse to actually build it! I'll also try and bring some cool artisans (a couple otterophiles, a Fugu, a bunch of SUK Snappers, some KeyForge caps) and keysets or something. Hopefully GMK Hydro will be here by then. Also have a switch tester with some Cherrys and Gaterons.

I'll check if my roommate is available too, as he is quite into it as well. I also have a DCS set, an SA set, a GMK/Cherry set, and a flat OEM set (just the silly typewriter caps) if people have interest in trying different profiles out?

Come out anyway? :)

You don't have to bring anything, just the hangout and discussion themselves could be way cool.

I'm rather new to the hobby so I'm just hoping to try out as many boards / keycaps / switches as I can, and ask questions. I want to figure out what I like.

I think the correct answer will be 'Topre' :P But please join! The reservation is for 7 but the table seats more! I was quoted 8, and not all of us are going to be there the whole time, so feel free to show up and try things out!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 17:52:44 »
Totally didn't realize this was tomorrow, I should be able to make it though.
I have a midterm in the morning and an assignment I can knock out tonight to make time for it tomorrow. I'll try to be there around 7:30-8ish depending on transit.

I will bring my alps clueboard, hhkb and maybe my tkl. I'll also try to bring my camera to take some pics :)

Should work for me.

I've never tried 55g topre, would like to if possible but if the RF is too big I wouldn't mind trying out your rf 23u  :)

Offline BabrahamDinkin

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 14:39:43 »
Hi guys,

Come out anyway? :)

You don't have to bring anything, just the hangout and discussion themselves could be way cool.

I think the correct answer will be 'Topre' :P But please join! The reservation is for 7 but the table seats more! I was quoted 8, and not all of us are going to be there the whole time, so feel free to show up and try things out!

I can't unfortunately. My roomie works evenings so he has to request nights off in advance, and I have plans with some friends and the gf. :( Hope you guys have a ton of fun, definitely disappointed that I missed this opportunity.

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 15:08:42 »
Hey everyone, I'm looking forward to meeting up tonight. I'm thinking I'll be there a little later - maybe between 8:30pm and 8:40pm, once the kids are down.

Offline Altis

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 16:12:53 »
I'm stuck at work out of town. I'm not sure yet when I'll be back but I'll update you guys.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 16:15:32 »
Someone should have bumped the last Montreal meetup thread  :( 

Enjoy, hope it's a good one :thumb:

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 17:04:52 »
I should make it at right about the right time with my friend.

We'll be patient. See you all when I see you.

I can't unfortunately. My roomie works evenings so he has to request nights off in advance, and I have plans with some friends and the gf. :( Hope you guys have a ton of fun, definitely disappointed that I missed this opportunity.

I'm sure this won't be the last time we all hang!

Someone should have bumped the last Montreal meetup thread  :( 

Enjoy, hope it's a good one :thumb:

Will do next time! Sorry it slipped my mind this time, but it kind of snowballed from three people meeting to a few more!

That said: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5n94hh/meet_up_toronto_ontario_mechanical_keyboard/?st=iyozodab&sh=20b2dc47

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 18:59:41 »
Waiting for you guys to show up is like waiting for a group buy to ship. Constant delays!!

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 21:58:51 »
You were all really cool people and I'm glad we all had a wonderful night hanging out together! My post up there was a joke I promise and I can't wait until our next meeting when we will all have built new things!

Offline Altis

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 02 February 2017, 23:15:49 »
Just got back from work now (ended up in Kingston). Really bummed I missed out. :(

Next meet I'll do a little give-away... maybe 65g Zealios switches, or keycaps.

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 08:54:33 »
Hey guys, just wanted to say it was great to get together last night and I really enjoyed meeting everyone! Thanks to clappingcactus for organizing. Will look forward to the next one!

Offline HP_Jornada

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 09:49:20 »
I'm sorry I missed this!
I'll be watching for the next meetup. I have some new toys to share too.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 13:58:05 »
So, do we want to try and stage another one of these to see what everyone has been working on (and include the people who missed out last time)? :)

Offline Altis

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 21:25:45 »
So, do we want to try and stage another one of these to see what everyone has been working on (and include the people who missed out last time)? :)

Sure, let's figure out a time and place and we'll have a meetup.

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 09:27:26 »
I'm definitely up for another meetup! My collection has grown a fair bit since the last one :)

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 09:35:31 »
Let's say mid-October? This gives us enough time to get the word out and make sure that if someone wanted to come down from Montreal they wouldn't have any conflicting exams or such at the time?

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 10:51:45 »
Mid-October sounds good to me! I'm busy the evening of Oct. 13th, but otherwise am open from then on.

Offline Altis

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 17:04:51 »
Mid-October sounds good to me! I'm busy the evening of Oct. 13th, but otherwise am open from then on.

The week of October 23-27 is reading week in Ottawa.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 21:45:43 »
How about October 20th? That way if someone is traveling they don't miss out? Or the 21st if we expect people from MTL to try and make it?

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 08:13:00 »
Both October 20th and the 21st work for me. I mentioned it to kamek, who came out last time, and he's interested as well.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 09:10:57 »
I can make time for just about any day.  I might have some stuff to show off by October too!
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline Altis

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 14:39:15 »
Let's plan for October 20th.

I can see if we can use a space at Carleton if there are many of us.

Offline jmdaly

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 08:51:27 »

That date works well for me, and finding a spot at Carleton is a great idea.

Should we post over on /r/mechanicalkeyboards on reddit to see if there might be some more Ottawa people over there who would be interested in joining?

Offline Altis

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 10:26:24 »

That date works well for me, and finding a spot at Carleton is a great idea.

Should we post over on /r/mechanicalkeyboards on reddit to see if there might be some more Ottawa people over there who would be interested in joining?

Feel free. I don't use Reddit so someone else will have to.  :cool:

Offline jmdaly

Offline Altis

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 09:17:44 »
Feel free. I don't use Reddit so someone else will have to.  :cool:

Cool, the post is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6zw76n/news_ottawa_canada_meetup_on_or_around_october/?st=j7jbh2ua&sh=cacc34d9

Should we change the tentative date to October 21, the Saturday?

Might make it easier for anyone to travel from out of town, based on the Reddit post.