Author Topic: Ergodox with Matias key switches?  (Read 4805 times)

Offline scissorfingers

Ergodox with Matias key switches?
« on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 18:35:12 »
I've heard of people doing this, but does anybody have any details of what was involved?

Matias do a quiet low force (35 g) switch which sounds perfect for me.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Ergodox with Matias key switches?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 19:15:13 »
 A different plate. One person bought aluminum plates during one of the GBs I ran, then used a dremel tool on all the correct edges to widen the holes until the matched.

Once she posted the picture of the completed keyboard, she said "Don't do that. That was dumb." Or something similar.

Some DXFs are floating around, but someone commented that the stab holes would technically need to move a fraction of an inch to match the new, accidental switch location.

Oh and this advice is for the traditional, Teensy operated ergodox. It might work with the infinity boards too but you'd want to make sure the electrical paths are separated the same way, since technically the fluke relies on an engineering choice not at all related to cherry MX switch holes.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 20:37:58 »
The Infinity ErgoDox was designed intentionally to support both Cherry MX and Alps/Matias switches from the start - not as a fluke.
It was designed different from the original, with a different microcontroller, firmware, interconnect cable and case. You can't use any regular ErgoDox case for the Infinity ErgoDox.

The official site is https://input.club/devices/infinity-ergodox/ but I think they have been sold only on Massdrop.
There are several threads about it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 September 2016, 20:42:53 by Findecanor »

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 21:59:58 »
Try purchasing a matias set and soldering them as cherry switches, or just taking apart a matias board. Matias switches should be supported.
hi.