Author Topic: Ceramic mouse feet(skates)?  (Read 27296 times)

Offline Lanx

Ceramic mouse feet(skates)?
« on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 04:52:43 »
I can't seem to find em, for reference, i'm looking for feet/skates made out of ceramic, these ceramic feet are superior in glide. I've of course tried oem/teflon/ptfe, all that, nothing beats ceramic, but i can't find any.

I know there are some mice that come w/ ceramic feet/skates, there's this one
sentey pro

which i'm probably going to get, just to slice off the mice feet, and other brands (that ppl say suck) like sharktoon.

Offline Connly33

Re: Ceramic mouse feet(skates)?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 05:02:18 »
Id be really interested if anyone finds anything, i like playing around with mousepad surfaces, and my current favorite is semi smooth aluminium mouse pads, even though they tend to eat teflon mouse feet, i wonder what ceramic pads on an aluminum surface would be like, or maybe a microfiber type surface. 

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 05:08:49 »
mmm it seems like a good idea until it chips
hahahahhaa

Offline Connly33

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 05:23:58 »
It's funny that the only mice that offer the choice between teflon and ceramic feet are the cheaper brands that aim more for asian markets.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 10:45:48 »
they actually make an entire mouse from porcelain..  but no go on the mouse skates.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 11:17:50 »
Ceramic feetnon a mouse will tear up any.mousing surface.  If you want the ultimate reduction in friction and the closest coefficient of friction between dynamic and static, I can build you aouse pad to your dimensions of choice, and have a ceramic coating applied.  I can put you in touch with someone that already has one.  It is the last mouse pad he will ever own.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 11:31:47 »

Ceramic feetnon a mouse will tear up any.mousing surface.  If you want the ultimate reduction in friction and the closest coefficient of friction between dynamic and static, I can build you aouse pad to your dimensions of choice, and have a ceramic coating applied.  I can put you in touch with someone that already has one.  It is the last mouse pad he will ever own.

Is this the Cerakote over aluminum mouse pad? Cause I've been seriously considering the same.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 11:40:46 »

Is this the Cerakote over aluminum mouse pad? Cause I've been seriously considering the same.
Yes, Mstarr has one.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Lanx

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 12:10:49 »
I modded my spare death adder cuz i have no idea where my main is (i have spares), and i noticed i only have 3 more ceramic feet left, so i wanted spares. I've had these for 10years?, currently i use the aluminum pad by steelseries (discontinued) and it glides like air hockey.

I also have the discontinued icemat frosted glass glass mouse pads, but the aluminum is like 1% better.

I think i'll have to buy 2 of those sentey mice and just store em, for when i need ceramic feet. (i have no idea how good or bad the sentey mice are, i don't care i just want the feet)

If you think this is silly, think about Model M prices, a few years ago you could get em for 10/20bucks free shipping on ebay, either working or parts only (didn't matter really), now it's 50ish.

My next option is hot glue glass onto the mouse, i was thinking about it and the little glass squares you put on microscope slides would fit fine, i ordered a 100 (thats what they come in) and gonna see how this works out.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:39:02 »
Ceramic feetnon a mouse will tear up any.mousing surface.  If you want the ultimate reduction in friction and the closest coefficient of friction between dynamic and static, I can build you a mouse pad to your dimensions of choice, and have a ceramic coating applied.  I can put you in touch with someone that already has one.  It is the last mouse pad he will ever own.

Seeing you talk about it a few times i'm fairly interested, how much would a smaller pad cost, something around 1ft x 1ft

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:43:36 »
Ceramic feetnon a mouse will tear up any.mousing surface.  If you want the ultimate reduction in friction and the closest coefficient of friction between dynamic and static, I can build you a mouse pad to your dimensions of choice, and have a ceramic coating applied.  I can put you in touch with someone that already has one.  It is the last mouse pad he will ever own.

Seeing you talk about it a few times i'm fairly interested, how much would a smaller pad cost, something around 1ft x 1ft

Probably in the ball park of $75.  But this is going off the same per square inch rate as the one I did for mstarr.  I think that number I came up with is probably under a minimum cost.  I could check with them though. 

Offline Connly33

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:48:29 »

Probably in the ball park of $75.  But this is going off the same per square inch rate as the one I did for mstarr.  I think that number I came up with is probably under a minimum cost.  I could check with them though.

It would probably be a little while, id have to figure out the dimensions that would work for my next desk when i get it. But um deffinitly going to consider it.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:50:21 »

It would probably be a little while, id have to figure out the dimensions that would work for my next desk when i get it. But um deffinitly going to consider it.

Sounds good, just let me know and we can talk specifics.  Though I suggest getting in touch with mstarr regarding mouse feet/skates for a ceramic pad.  Granted he does have the prototype, and we have a good feeling on changes for the next one, but still a possibility with a couple of the shortcomings.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 16:24:38 »
Yes, Mstarr has one.

yeah i remember those pictures, that thing looked great. picked a real nice green / blue ish color : )
i fear it might be a bit too risky/expensive for me, however..

but out of curiousity,
what ever made you think to apply cerakote to a mousemat? or was it Mstarr who suggested it?
how did you cut the aluminum, and smooth out the edges?
and out of interest, would you be able to put some shape into the aluminum, or would it be rectangular?

Sounds good, just let me know and we can talk specifics.  Though I suggest getting in touch with mstarr regarding mouse feet/skates for a ceramic pad.  Granted he does have the prototype, and we have a good feeling on changes for the next one, but still a possibility with a couple of the shortcomings.

changes? shortcomings?
what do you guys feel that could be improved?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 16:30:10 »
Yes, Mstarr has one.

yeah i remember those pictures, that thing looked great. picked a real nice green / blue ish color : )
i fear it might be a bit too risky/expensive for me, however..

but out of curiousity,
what ever made you think to apply cerakote to a mousemat? or was it Mstarr who suggested it?
how did you cut the aluminum, and smooth out the edges?
and out of interest, would you be able to put some shape into the aluminum, or would it be rectangular?

changes? shortcomings?
what do you guys feel that could be improved?

The cerakote was my idea.  They use it on tight tolerance parts in guns that require low friction, high abrasion resistance, and high corrosion resistance.  It can be applied with a film thickness of ~.001".  I just cut and rounded the edges with a 4" angle grinder and then some hand work to smooth out scratches from the grinder.  Nothing new as I do that sort of thing at work all the time but with steel.  I could put shape in it, but I am not the best at drawing, so simple circles and straight lines is best. 

As far as short comings, we feel it is mostly due to the color choice, and the texture.  The color was Robins Egg blue and only his best mice will track on it.  I think it is just a function of the wavelength of light that gets emitted and being absorbed instead of reflected.  Or it could just be to much texture which is scattering the light to much to reliable sense.  So I will be talking with the paint shop on how to get a much smoother surface finish.  The rough texture also has the effect of wearing out mouse feet very quick.  I believe mstarr has switched to felt feet.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 17:16:47 »
I can't seem to find em, for reference, i'm looking for feet/skates made out of ceramic, these ceramic feet are superior in glide. I've of course tried oem/teflon/ptfe, all that, nothing beats ceramic, but i can't find any.

I know there are some mice that come w/ ceramic feet/skates, there's this one
sentey pro

which i'm probably going to get, just to slice off the mice feet, and other brands (that ppl say suck) like sharktoon.

I have one of those Sentey Revolution Pro mice.  The ceramic feet stick on certain surfaces, and debris on a mousepad will grind the mouse to a halt.  Cat hair has made my mouse skip.  It is no Logitech G502.  Cerakote coating to me sounds like a much better option. Maybe a design that pushes debris rather than rolling over the debris.  Dust happens.  Good way to keep your hands cool when the weather starts to heat up.  :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:08:16 by csmertx »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 17:47:22 »
As far as short comings, we feel it is mostly due to the color choice, and the texture.  The color was Robins Egg blue and only his best mice will track on it.  I think it is just a function of the wavelength of light that gets emitted and being absorbed instead of reflected.  Or it could just be to much texture which is scattering the light to much to reliable sense.  So I will be talking with the paint shop on how to get a much smoother surface finish.  The rough texture also has the effect of wearing out mouse feet very quick.  I believe mstarr has switched to felt feet.

i think the reason that black cloth has always been so popular, is because it doesn't specularly reflect light (which can 'confuse' the sensor) and because it has more than enough texture for the sensor to work with.

my understanding is that you actually do not want a reflective surface, for LED sensors to work properly.
so have you considered that it might actually be too reflective..?
because this is exactly the issue that my LED mice have with my aluminum pad. (at least, i assume it is.)

and when you say 'too much texture', could it be the other way around? because in the pictures i've seen, it looked like an incredibly smooth finish. while i believe LED sensors actually make use of texture to determine where it is and where it was.
the LED light creates shadows, which gives the sensor patterns that can be compared. with too little texture, the sensor won't have enough pattern to work with and it will just 'make mistakes'.
i suppose this is also the reason why reflective surfaces work poorly for these sensors. light that gets reflected into the sensor will just interfere with these patterns.

so yeah, a well-textured and non-reflective surface should actually be beneficial to these mice. : )

i'm not trying to annoy you, btw. :) i am actually interested in such a pad, but my main concern is sensor performance.
i play games frequently, and a pad is useless to me if my mice don't track well on it.
the aluminum pad that i have is great in terms of glide and longevity, but the issue is that LED sensors track poorly on it.

The cerakote was my idea.  They use it on tight tolerance parts in guns that require low friction, high abrasion resistance, and high corrosion resistance.  It can be applied with a film thickness of ~.001".  I just cut and rounded the edges with a 4" angle grinder and then some hand work to smooth out scratches from the grinder.  Nothing new as I do that sort of thing at work all the time but with steel.  I could put shape in it, but I am not the best at drawing, so simple circles and straight lines is best.

i don't suppose you have some close ups that show your work on that pad?
would be nice to know what i can expect if i ever order one :D

btw, how durable is this coating? is there a risk of it coming off? i don't really know how well it 'binds with' or 'glues to' a surface like aluminum.
i suppose scratching it is virtually impossible? :)

edit: maybe his 'best mice' are laser mice? laser mice work differently and are perfectly capable of functioning well on any kind of surface.
i would love to help out and test by ordering a smaller one, but especially with the international shipping it would still end up high in price :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 January 2016, 18:08:57 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Lanx

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 01:43:56 »
Oh so as an update, i used glass feet on an old mouse, works pretty well, obviously you can't use it on cloth, only other hard surfaces, this will be my super desperate move when i don't have anymore ceramic mice feet.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 11:28:06 »
Very strange indeed. Good luck  :eek:

Offline Lanx

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 07:49:42 »
Another update, i'm just buying the one from Senty with the ceramic feet built in, i get it friday, it was only on sale for 20bucks and only one left (amazon damaged box). I figure if i don't like the mouse (which i probably won't, there are only soso reviews) i can just cut off the feet.

A few of you have sent me PM's and no, i'm stock piling my ceramic feet and do not ever intend to sell them, sorry.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:49:32 »
The sensor on mine has acceleration problems over 1600 dpi, but for people that rarely go over 1600dpi I guess it's not the worst mouse

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 13:06:29 »
how much my dude

Offline Bucake

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 21:30:14 »
how much my dude

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79415.0

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 21:54:49 »
how much my dude

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79415.0
i can panhandle so i still have enough money for a kosmonavt, i need dis mousepad tho because like it sounds cool

Offline zerog

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 01:19:44 »
After reading this, I was intrigued as I had never tried nor heard of ceramic mouse skates. I tried for awhile to find ceramic mouse feet for sale. I couldn't find just the mouse skates, and I couldn't find any of the Sently's mentioned in the thread for sale online anymore. I found that the sharkoon darkglider was still being sold in the US. There are a couple left on newegg/amazon.
It even comes with an extra set of the ceramic feet! I am using a hard mousepad currently with a logitech g900 mouse. It does make a little bit more noise on my mousepad, but I don't mind it. I put the ceramic feet on it and it was a definite improvement. You just have to go through the calibration in the logitech software as the ceramic feet are a tiny bit thicker. After calibration, no issues with tracking. I did notice less drag/friction, plus I won't have to replace the teflon feet every six months to a year, assuming these hold up. I picked up an extra darkglider to have extra ceramic skates.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 01:40:24 »
After reading this, I was intrigued as I had never tried nor heard of ceramic mouse skates. I tried for awhile to find ceramic mouse feet for sale. I couldn't find just the mouse skates, and I couldn't find any of the Sently's mentioned in the thread for sale online anymore. I found that the sharkoon darkglider was still being sold in the US. There are a couple left on newegg/amazon.
It even comes with an extra set of the ceramic feet! I am using a hard mousepad currently with a logitech g900 mouse. It does make a little bit more noise on my mousepad, but I don't mind it. I put the ceramic feet on it and it was a definite improvement. You just have to go through the calibration in the logitech software as the ceramic feet are a tiny bit thicker. After calibration, no issues with tracking. I did notice less drag/friction, plus I won't have to replace the teflon feet every six months to a year, assuming these hold up. I picked up an extra darkglider to have extra ceramic skates.

Sounds like a much better plan than to use cheapie mice. My Sentey 'Revolution Pro' eventually succumbed to a power surge but not before the plastic warped causing the mouse to rock while in use. From what I understand those 3366 sensors don't spin out for folks that tilt their flicks--I can seriously spin an optical mouse out while web browsing so maybe I should get a G900 lol. The ceramic feet were amazing, though. I guess I'll keep the feet just in case.