Author Topic: Solidworks student version for vets  (Read 11295 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Solidworks student version for vets
« on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 08:51:18 »
Just wanted to let the community know a piece of info I got from a solidworks rep yesterday.  Veterans are eligible to purchase the student version with a 1 year license for $20.  Keep in mind a single license for the full version of Solidworks is $46k.  I doubt this would apply to military from other countries but it might be worth a shot.  All that is needed according to the website is a copy of your DD214.  If you need to get a copy of yours for whatever reason check out this link.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: Solidworks student version for vets
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 09:04:39 »
that's awesome. thanks for the heads up. i did not serve and am just a regular student and/or faculty (complicated) learning CAD for research and fun. the year license is easily worth a hundred bucks, so 20$ is a huge steal.

in contrast, the limited time introductory student price for adobe creative cloud is 20$ A MONTH. it's not that i don't think the adobe suite contains some serious gems, but (20k$ suit etc etc) COME ON

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 09:08:32 »
Yeah just checked the page again and I quote.

"SolidWorks 2013-2014

SolidWorks® Premium software
eDrawings®
SolidWorks Sustainability
SolidWorks® Simulation Premium
12 month term-of-use license

Note:

We will only be selling SolidWorks 2013-2014
The SolidWorks Student Edition cost to qualified US Military Veterans is $20. A copy of your DD214 form is required."

Edit:  Link for this page is also posted in the DIY resources thread so this doesn't get lost
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 10:05:29 »
Yea, student edition Solidworks is $150 for me :(

I downloaded the student edition of AutoCAD for free with a .edu email address. As much as I love Solidworks, AutoCAD (for me, 5+ years of a job only using AutoCAD) will be good enough for now.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 10:25:45 »
Wow! This is great news!! Thank you for the info, Melvang. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:37:00 »
thinkEDU has it for 99

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 06:18:01 »
$20 for a whole year is dirt cheap. Are you sure the full version is $46k? When I last checked (before the 2013 came out), the premium version was only ~$10k

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 06:47:28 »
Yes I just talked to a sales rep about 10 before I made this post.  But I do have some hearing loss from my time in the flight deck and don't always hear stuff correctly.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 07:35:32 »
thinkEDU has it for 99

Still too much money. I love Solidworks, but I'm not an engineering major anymore so it isn't nearly as important. However all the computers on campus have it so when I'm at school, I at least have access to it.

Plus I do love AutoCAD, I find it way faster for most of the stuff I do. Since I've used it for so long, I'll often draw it in AutoCAD and then model it in Solidworks

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 08:11:12 »
autocad has much better student licensing (ie, free fullstop), so a lot of students get trained on autocad, but then they end up going to solidworks shops. *shrug*.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 08:13:46 »
autocad has much better student licensing (ie, free fullstop), so a lot of students get trained on autocad, but then they end up going to solidworks shops. *shrug*.

My old job was AutoCAD only, that's why I got so good with it. I would have preferred Solidworks, but most jobs were pretty simple and didn't require extensive 3d modeling

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:39:54 »
i had a friend who was trained autocad and then worked autocad at caltrans for a while, so yah, it exists. but it seems like small part stuff has moved over to solidworks. the nice thing about having a solidworks student/faculty license is that you don't have to pay for the extra autocad license in order to have full compatibility with whatever people might throw at you. i've come to terms with this ;)

that said, i want to do small parts, so i'm learning on solidworks.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:44:07 »
So what is the difference between the student and the full version of Solidworks?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:54:28 »
All of them offer their software for free to students as far as I am aware. Catia has a sudent version as well as the full version free for 1 yea rif you enter a competition they are currently running. ProEngineer/Creo also offers theirs for free to students. They all have great motivation to get students to be used to their software as this increases the likelihood that they will continue to use their software once professional and where they can get their investment back.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:11:55 »
Solidworks very much does not offer a free student version. Neither does Rhino. My uncle is in sales at Rhino and he could not even get me a free student version.

afaict, the student version of SW mostly misses out on the subscription services, and the ability to purchase some of the advanced extensions.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 11:27:51 »
Mkay, ymmv depending on where you are. I got mine for free at least. While I am at it, check if your education is part of MSDNAA. That is a second source of free software, although not much in this field but free OS is always nice.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 00:48:10 »
Well just placed my order for Solidworks Student edition for Vets and should be shipping within 2 days.  Didn't realize that it was actually a shipped physical copy.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 07:26:21 »
yes, the solidworks installer then immediately proceeds to go online and download nearly the entire piece of software. it's so overwhelmingly backward that i'm not really sure where to start.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 07:42:16 »
almost sounds like something Blizzard would do

Offline xack

• Make'n'Modify
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 16:06:56 »
4k is the normal price as far as I know...

... one word on the student version: As far as I know you are not allowed to use the student version for anything commercial. That would maybe be ok but comes with a catch. You are not allowed to share files (even STL) on the internet since "someone could print and sell it and that would be commercial use" (quoting a SolidWorks rep). We asked since our students used it also in the Rapid Prototyping course at University and that is what the official answer was...

under these circumstances Fusion is my preference... there i could even sell my stuff

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 17:02:59 »
At my university everyone used a cracked version even though the student version was still free back then. The student version can't save in anything but solidworks proprietary format which was very annoying when you wanted to 3D print or CNC-machine something.