Author Topic: [GB] HEAVY METAL KEYBOARDS [CONCLUDED]  (Read 272214 times)

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: [GB] HEAVY METAL KEYBOARDS [SHIPPING]
« Reply #550 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 17:00:06 »
Thanks, I will check my order number and Discord.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #551 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 16:26:53 »
You made my Valentine's Day Plastik
Is that the stainless version? Hows the heft? I ordered a 65% with a brass plate.. Wondering how it would feel lol

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Test.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 22:55:50 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 21:19:41 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #553 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 04:05:50 »
I know it's a lot of work for OP

But I hope there'll eventually a second or third run if the GB is at least profitable.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #554 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 13:41:40 »
oh, SMK connoisseur!

Hope life improves in Lynx Land

Offline eibbun

« Reply #555 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 08:44:35 »
so like... did anyone get their board?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #556 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 18:49:11 »
oh, SMK connoisseur!

I just saved these poor SMKs from recycling. Unfortunately, my friend who works at a recycler found it this way. He thought they might be SKCM blues, so that might be the only reason it was saved. I think I'm going to try to gut a cheap 68 key MX knockoff board and handwire them in it, unless I find a parts board instead of sacrificing a perfectly good Outemu board to save them.

282982-0

so like... did anyone get their board?

Plenty. Build pictures have been streaming in on the Discord. My order shipped, but hasn't arrived.

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #557 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 08:15:59 »
UPDATE - SHIPPING STATUS

Here is some insight regarding shipping so far. By now a little over 300 HMKBs have been shipped. Shipping takes more time than anticipated - surprise! This has multiple reasons. For example, the time per package is pretty bad because of the many different versions, colors, plate options and multiple different box sizes - this makes it really hard to get into a good rhythm. Packing all day, every day isn't possible. Sometimes a whole week goes by without being able to dedicate time for shipping. Recently went out of PE foam which was used as filling material. It was supposed to be enough for 1/3 to 1/2 of all boxes but somehow it ran out way before that goal. The PE foam was custom sized and the lead time for new ones is crazy atm. That's why you'll start to see paper based fillings from now on. Not as nice of an unboxing experience as most were used until recently but it does the job well.

Now I can say for sure, that it will take at least three more months until everything is shipped. So although the shipping phase of this group buy is finally rolling, we will have to be more patient until it is fully completed.

This also effects the extras. I don't want to make them available until roughly half of the group buy has shipped. Of course, only after the initial group buy is shipped completely, extras will get shipped. Preparations for making extras available will take some time since a lot of things in the shop will have to be updated, that's why it will go to maintenance mode at some point in time before extras can be sold there.

Shipping by order number isn't really a thing anymore, some might very well already have their HMKB despite having a very high order number. I can't make any predictions on when a specific order number will be shipped, that's why questions along the way "when will my order be shipped" are being ignored.

Btw, I'd be thankful for some feedback regarding how long the shipping to outside of Europe took for those who have received theirs already, especially in the USA.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #558 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 09:58:50 »
The PE foam was custom sized and the lead time for new ones is crazy atm. That's why you'll start to see paper based fillings from now on. Not as nice of an unboxing experience as most were used until recently but it does the job well.

I would say that nobody should care about that, but I could see some of the more OCD users on here being up in arms over it. *cough* GMK users *cough*

Btw, I'd be thankful for some feedback regarding how long the shipping to outside of Europe took for those who have received theirs already, especially in the USA.

I really don't even care how long it takes myself. I know DHL isn't always that efficient. I can update you when mine eventually get here though. Would you prefer a message in this thread, a P.M. on Geekhack, or a message on Discord?

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #559 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 21:19:59 »
Thanks for the updates!

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline jbodswor

« Reply #560 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 20:56:21 »
UPDATE - SHIPPING STATUS

Here is some insight regarding shipping so far. By now a little over 300 HMKBs have been shipped. Shipping takes more time than anticipated - surprise! This has multiple reasons. For example, the time per package is pretty bad because of the many different versions, colors, plate options and multiple different box sizes - this makes it really hard to get into a good rhythm. Packing all day, every day isn't possible. Sometimes a whole week goes by without being able to dedicate time for shipping. Recently went out of PE foam which was used as filling material. It was supposed to be enough for 1/3 to 1/2 of all boxes but somehow it ran out way before that goal. The PE foam was custom sized and the lead time for new ones is crazy atm. That's why you'll start to see paper based fillings from now on. Not as nice of an unboxing experience as most were used until recently but it does the job well.

Now I can say for sure, that it will take at least three more months until everything is shipped. So although the shipping phase of this group buy is finally rolling, we will have to be more patient until it is fully completed.

This also effects the extras. I don't want to make them available until roughly half of the group buy has shipped. Of course, only after the initial group buy is shipped completely, extras will get shipped. Preparations for making extras available will take some time since a lot of things in the shop will have to be updated, that's why it will go to maintenance mode at some point in time before extras can be sold there.

Shipping by order number isn't really a thing anymore, some might very well already have their HMKB despite having a very high order number. I can't make any predictions on when a specific order number will be shipped, that's why questions along the way "when will my order be shipped" are being ignored.

I appreciate the update.  This helps us understand the challenges with shipping and gives us a general idea of how ling it may take to receive our boards.

Offline Liub

« Reply #561 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 22:34:24 »
There are a lot of photos of builts boards in the Discord as mentioned above, but I'll add a photo here too  :cool:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #562 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 09:47:21 »
There are a lot of photos of builts boards in the Discord as mentioned above, but I'll add a photo here too  :cool:

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing that.

Might be difficult to get into the Discord now if you hadn't already joined it. Plastik mentioned this morning that joining via link is no longer allowed. Not sure what sort of vetting process they're going to want to use.

« Reply #563 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 09:50:50 »
just asking nicely via dm, that's all for now :)

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #564 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 09:27:47 »

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing that.

Might be difficult to get into the Discord now if you hadn't already joined it. Plastik mentioned this morning that joining via link is no longer allowed. Not sure what sort of vetting process they're going to want to use.

Seems... very counter-intuitive considering what Discord is for. Pointless gatekeeping? Yawn.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #565 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 11:51:39 »
I'm totally in love with my stainless.

Also regarding SMK Applet posed the 60% Steezy on GitHub

Looking forward to seeing more in build pictures channel

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #566 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 11:23:03 »
I'm totally in love with my stainless.

Also regarding SMK Applet posed the 60% Steezy on GitHub

Looking forward to seeing more in build pictures channel

No dedicated arrow keys is a no-go for me, which is why I'm hacking up an old Magicforce board to handwire instead. Otherwise, where on earth would I find Alps mount caps that would support the layout?

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #567 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 15:40:58 »
Alps mount domes are easy to find.

Any mod can be an arrow with Mod Tap.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #568 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 15:55:34 »
Alps mount domes are easy to find.

With a bunch of relatively modern 1u cap sizes?

Any mod can be an arrow with Mod Tap.

I don't like having to use layers for arrows. Too many hotkeys already utilize arrow keys, among other reasons.

Offline liquidsky

« Reply #569 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 07:34:37 »
I recently built a HMKB 95 up for a client and found that the PCB was only recognized when the USB-C cable was in one orientation. If I flipped the cable around and plugged it back in, the PCB was not recognized. The client had the same experience.

I'm wondering, have others had this issue?

Perhaps only one set of data lines was connected when the USB-C port was installed on the PCB? As explained here:

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/22/cursed-usb-c-when-plug-orientation-matters/

« Reply #570 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 07:41:29 »
Interesting!
I built two 95% so far and there it does not matter which way I plug in the cable. One build is a proto, the other one from the GB production (to make sure it really is, I'll open the case and check the pcb, will confirm later). Maybe it has something to do with your specific cable? I hope Evy can comment on this.

Offline liquidsky

« Reply #571 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 07:47:49 »
That was my first thought, but I don’t believe it’s the cable. Not only do I not have this issue using the same cable with other PCBs, but I also tested another cable and had the same result. My client also has the same experience with yet another cable and PC.

« Reply #572 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 07:53:18 »
OK,
instead of opening the case, I just took one of the 95 pcbs. It registers both ways, regardless how I put in the cable. Also first time I hear this from now 400 shipped units, waiting for evy to comment on this.

Offline liquidsky

« Reply #573 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 07:59:20 »
I appreciate the quick responses.

« Reply #574 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 08:04:43 »
I'm sure evy has an idea what this might be about. maybe adding some solder to some tiny spot at the plug? I really don't know, lets wait for evy.

Offline liquidsky

« Reply #575 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 08:39:21 »
Hi there. Thanks again for your responsiveness regarding the usb-c issue. Have you heard from evy?

Offline liquidsky

« Reply #576 on: Fri, 08 April 2022, 07:36:26 »
Hi again,

Any news on this USB-C port issue?

Offline fromjuanm

« Reply #577 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 20:17:50 »
 Is it possible to get an update on when order #1417 will be shipped out? I received an email last November that stated shipping will be starting soon. Thanks!

Offline chentong

« Reply #578 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 05:00:17 »
any shipping update is appreciated.

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #579 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 05:02:44 »
there is updates on the discord channel.
pasted below in case you didn't know about it.

UPDATE - SHIPPING STATUS

Here is another update regarding the shipping status and more after this one. Almost 50% of the orders are shipped now. Running out of something packaging related is frequent, especially regarding void fill. Trying different solutions, new void fill recently arrived:
---
UPDATE - BRASS PLATES

The pace of packing has increased since the start of April and it is at a good pace now. However, there is one issue that is still slowing down the shipping process significantly. Initially, when all the metal parts had arrived, I grabbed one plate from steel and one from brass and was relieved and happy to see that the switch fit is perfect. HOWEVER - it turned out that one plate was not representative for all plates. The steel plates are all perfect but after some time I noticed that the tolerances of the brass plates are off on some plates, resulting in a too tight switch fit. I generally aimed for a tight fit, but some are simply too tight. This means that I must test every brass plate before packing it. This may not sound too bad, but the tolerance varies not just from plate to plate but even per cutout within a single plate. That means determining if one particular brass plate is ok or not takes an awful lot of time. This process is taking too much time and that is why I will offer an alternative for all who ordered a brass plate from now on.

New brass plates aren't an option since the production cost went up and the additional steps of bead blasting and galvanization would take way too much time and effort. What I will offer as an alternative is a 304 stainless steel plate, blank and with a more complex contour cut. This cut is usually called a "leaf spring" design but I prefer to call it serpentine cut, since an actual leaf spring design is something else. [I had shown this type way back during the IC phase](https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103257.msg2859341#msg2859341), but settled on a simpler design because the serpentine cut can lead to a high production error rate. However, after several prototypes, I'm more comfortable with this now and many are produced already. Here are some displayed in sunlight:
So moving forward, everyone who's order contains a brass plate and is up for the next shipping batch will be asked to make a choice (no need to do anything, you will get an email). The choices will look like this:
a) get the original brass plate but wait until the end of shipping for when I will dedicate time purely for checking and sorting the brass plates.
b) get the 304 stainless steel plate now instead
c) get the standard steel plate instead (may be an unlikely choice but I'll include it anyway, may be having a black plate is most important to some)

I think this is an interesting alternative and I'm confident that this will help get shipping done quicker.
---
UPDATE - EXTRAS

The problem with the brass plates does have an impact on the extras as well. Brass plates will simply not be offered for the extras, there you will be able to choose between the black standard steel plate and the new 304 stainless steel plate. Currently I am aiming for May 19th to open the shop again and start offering the extras.
Since the initial group buy order phase, shipping prices have increased significantly, sometimes more than doubled, depending on the region. Another factor that makes the prices appear different in some regions now is the fact that Shopify has changed how taxes are being managed. That is why in some regions the initial shop price may appear a slight bit cheaper compared to the original GB price, though after factoring in the new shipping prices, all will end up more expensive at checkout.

Offline KeyRelic

• KeyRelic
« Reply #580 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 06:44:11 »

That looks great!

Offline akimbra

« Reply #581 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 16:46:41 »
Would you look at that? You definitely censored me Plastik! :eek:

A couple of years after the GB actually occurred, there seems to have been an issue with communicating with the people that purchased your keyboard. Maybe here you will finally answer the actual questions people want the answers to?

• Why are you talking about selling extras when the group buy units have yet to ship in their entirety? Being part of the group buy and knowing that you are doing this would anger anyone waiting for upwards of 2 years on their order
  • Do you have enough units to cover any shipping-related issues on ALL the remaining packages?
  • Will you keep your promises and deliver extra boards to me and the other group buy participant as you promised back in 2020?
  • Why are you censoring people coming into your discord to not see any channel history? If the GB purchasers left the server, they can't even return to see any of your "Updates".

It is honestly disparaging to see the way you still handle communications and still expect people to purchase from you. Hopefully no publicity is bad publicity for the future iteration of my video. The first one has over 4500 views and counting: 

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #582 on: Fri, 20 May 2022, 00:57:16 »
Hi.

Offline Chick3nCutlet

« Reply #583 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 15:38:35 »
Thank you for banning me from the server after saying you haven't replied to my last 2 emails, which I sent 1 on March 31st and another one on April 10th, this is the reply I get. Real professional my guy  :thumb: Really shows your integrity and how you've been handling this whole GB, literally banning people from the server just because they asked you to check your emails regarding our orders.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 May 2022, 15:40:10 by Chick3nCutlet »

Offline castlezach

« Reply #584 on: Sun, 22 May 2022, 16:47:54 »
I appreciate my Discord ban as well. After Plastik announced today that he's offering EXTRAS, when he still hasn't shipped out more than 50% of the keyboards from the group buy, I was livid. I requested a refund from him in the general channel, and in less than two minutes he'd replied, telling me to take it to the problem channel. I immediately posted in that channel as requested, asking for a refund. Keep in mind, this is after I'd sent him six emails requesting a refund, to no avail. A couple minutes later, while everyone was up in arms telling him he doesn't reply to anyone and now he's magically here, I noticed I'd been given a timeout for 7 days, as if Plastik is my father, but the last thing he should be responsible for is a child, when he can't even take care of a simple groupbuy. A minute later, I was banned. My theory is he's running extras now because the money that was from the groupbuy and was to be used for, ya know, getting us our keyboards, has all been spent and he can't ship more until he gets the money from extras. Regardless, he has always been poor to respond unless it's on his terms, and has never once admitted fault to any serious degree. This has been the most horrid groupbuy I've ever had the displeasure of partaking in, and honestly after seeing his original GB thread on here, we should've all known better than to support him. The only reason he's not a complete scam is because he's shipped out about half the boards, but regardless, hundred thousand plus dollars are tied up in keyboards from his customers, whom he hasn't supplied with their order for over two years now. All I want is a refund. The wait is obscene and much like a lot of others stuck in this hell of a groupbuy, we don't even want what we ordered at this point.

Offline Saga

• Pew Pew Particle Accelerators
« Reply #585 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 12:29:32 »
Right, it's been two years since I had contact with the OP, and not for lack of trying. I've also got all his contact info from the first SKB75 GB (which I did receive, at least) so I've reached out by email and if I don't get a refund by the end of Monday in Germany I'm just going to go ahead and file a police report in Germany and pursue legal options to get my money back. Sure, it's €110, but I'm willing to expend a lot of cycles to deal with scammers. This isn't an empty threat, I'm 100% willing to spend the time and money to not let a scammer get away with just pocketing a ton of money and banning anyone who questions it.

At the bare minimum I'd encourage anyone who hasn't been able to get a refund or in touch with Plastik to look into filing a police report in Frankfurt.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2022, 03:11:03 by Saga »

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #586 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 14:18:59 »
 :thumb:

Offline Saga

« Reply #587 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 17:10:53 »
Really rough back of the envelope, but it looks like his brass plates are in stacks sized around 25 each (for the ones zoomed in enough to count, there's obviously more or less of some sizes). If we assume each of those is ~€110, which definitely discounts anyone who got a PCB for theirs, then by the numbers of stacks we get

((33*25)/2)*120 = €49,500

So yeah, my €110 probably won't get the German authorities to care but I am absolutely certain the total amount we're getting scammed for here will.

PlastikSchnittstelle, I don't know if you've internalized or even realized this in these terms but you need to read this carefully: You are a scammer. I understand that was not your intention or your motivation. I have a keyboard from you I'm perfectly happy with, but the fact that you already ran one successful GB and delivered a large percentage of the products from this one does not grant you the right to just ghost people who paid you. Regardless of your initial intentions, you've taken people's money for years and not responded to concerns or delivered a product to a huge percentage of the people who paid. With the bans and silence, people are going to stop waiting and assuming you're acting in good faith and they're going to start creating a pretty big headache for you that you will not have the opportunity to ignore like you have been.

You are a scammer. You have scammed people out of quite a lot of money, and either you're going to need to make people whole or accept the fact that, being in a country with a pretty robust legal system and having your information fairly publicly facing, there are going to be repercussions for stealing from people.

edit: Also worth pointing out that he hasn't logged on to geekhack in almost a month.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2022, 17:22:37 by Saga »

Offline bball2

« Reply #588 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 18:04:37 »
I assume a sufficient amount orders will be reached after one month. Order should be placed in the following month. Production should take at least two months, four months at max. Then the shipping starts and it will take at least one more month until the last package will be shipped.

Expected shipping Q3 2020

I think this entire group buy is one of the best examples of why Group Buy runners should set limits on the amount of orders they take.

He is likely going to be off in his shipping estimate by over 2 years and that's even if he manages to fulfill all of the orders.

Though I guess 24+ months technically meets the definition of "at least one more month"...

Offline MrEsosmao

« Reply #589 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 11:26:32 »
I need this board! GLWGB.

Offline Saga

« Reply #590 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 11:55:10 »
I need this board! GLWGB.

So do most of us who actually bought one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Saga

« Reply #591 on: Sat, 18 June 2022, 14:02:42 »
EDIT: Finally getting a response to things.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 June 2022, 14:17:00 by Saga »

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #592 on: Mon, 27 June 2022, 22:46:00 »
i hate that i only occasionally check this disaster of a thread because it's my dad's first and only board gb

and you've just decided that you don't care about finishing this, you just want to sell what you have

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #593 on: Tue, 28 June 2022, 14:18:37 »
i hate that i only occasionally check this disaster of a thread because it's my dad's first and only board gb

and you've just decided that you don't care about finishing this, you just want to sell what you have

Plastik continues to ship GB boards

Extras have not shipped

Offline eibbun

« Reply #594 on: Fri, 01 July 2022, 22:43:02 »
as of yesterday, he said 60% has been shipped... it was like 40% last month so i guess we're waiting A WHILE
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2022, 22:48:52 by eibbun »

Offline lys.nordique

• Formerly 'scatology'
« Reply #595 on: Sat, 02 July 2022, 07:40:44 »
He's friend with Auramech

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #596 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 08:21:10 »
as of yesterday, he said 60% has been shipped... it was like 40% last month so i guess we're waiting A WHILE

Not true, I got both my 60 and my 40 way back in december. Get your story straight Plastik

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #597 on: Mon, 04 July 2022, 12:46:52 »

Not true, I got both my 60 and my 40 way back in december. Get your story straight Plastik

Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #598 on: Wed, 21 September 2022, 08:37:12 »
My Stainless 80% arrived earlier this week, and I finally had a free evening to put things together. It looks and sounds pretty good with Kiwis and GMK Rainy Day on the INOX plate, but am definitely going to be playing around with it more to tweak a few things. Overall, I'm very, very happy with this board so far, and am looking forward to getting more use out of it.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #599 on: Wed, 05 October 2022, 10:17:38 »

It's OK guys, Q4 100%!