geekhack Community > Off Topic

5tran'g'n00'wurl

<< < (6/6)

Findecanor:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Fri, 01 July 2022, 09:06:22 ---For the same reason that I hate all the "holodeck" episodes of TNG and later (and the holodeck itself, I wish that they had never even invented it).

--- End quote ---
Well, I don''t like transporters or silly plot devices involving them, such as people being stuck in "pattern buffers", becoming split into good and evil personalities, getting healed by biofilters or beaming "energy only" etc.

It was originally probably just meant as a way to skip time when getting to/from the surface of a planet.
The Orville manages fine using shuttles ...

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Sun, 10 July 2022, 16:35:19 ---
I don''t like transporters

--- End quote ---

I can live with them since they were canon from day 1, even though they are ludicrous, but they are exploited relentlessly. The range and availability should be limited and restricted, and "realistic" problems should be commonplace.

Scottie really jumped the shark in the 21st century reboot movie when he and Kirk transported into Enterprise from many light years away while it was in warp, but hey.

Findecanor:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Sun, 10 July 2022, 17:01:50 ---Scottie really jumped the shark in the 21st century reboot movie when he and Kirk transported into Enterprise from many light years away while it was in warp, but hey.

--- End quote ---
But that one is not in my canon, so it doesn't count.
(No hard/soft reboot/sequel in any franchise initiated by J J Abrams is in my canon)

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Mon, 11 July 2022, 05:50:18 ---
But that one is not in my canon

--- End quote ---

Of course not, I was just looking at a ludicrous transporter phenomenon. And somewhere else I think I remember that Scottie had trapped himself in an endless loop to survive in a ship that had been derelict for a century or something.

And of course the elephant in the room is that if any sort of buffer exists, then obviously it is possible that clones could easily be made of anybody and everybody that went through the transporter.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Mon, 11 July 2022, 07:47:27 ---And of course the elephant in the room is that if any sort of buffer exists, then obviously it is possible that clones could easily be made of anybody and everybody that went through the transporter.

--- End quote ---

society would also have default human recipes, which are copied out, instead of rolling the dice manually and waiting 30 years before a human gains basic competence to do anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version