Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3520613 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #11950 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:44:01 »
Always repaint or reseal exposed metal.  Personally, I would try and strip the paint and powder coat it, but you can save and paint it.  What paint you use depends on the quality you want.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11951 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:45:48 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:14 by alienman82 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11952 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:48:59 »
Less than the cost of a Harbor Freight powder coater, the powder, and a toaster oven.  AKA, I have no idea since I haven't powder coated something yet.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11953 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 23:51:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:12 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11954 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:27:03 »
Why leeku pcb not working on 64 bit?

Mine works fine for me

Are the barrels and such all the same?  They have little markings on them that are different, so I kept them in order.  If they are, cleaning will be much easier.  These guys:

Show Image

Show Image

They're the same.

And does evaporust require repainting the plate afterwards?  If it does, what paint do you recommend?  Also, thanks heedpantsnow and cptbadass for the denture tab trick!  caps look new!!

Yes. Look up some kishsaver restoration threads. People have covered a lot of how to remove the wear and paint/coat the plate again. Snoopy had a thread I can't find at the moment that was informative.

What's a rough estimate of a fair price for powdercoating?

I had my 6019284 powered coated at Rainbow Paint. Prices I was given: $100 for 1 case. $80 for 2-3. $20 extra for clearcoat. Shipping not included.

Do me a favor? Can you consolidate multiple questions into a single post by editing that post instead of making new posts? Hard to keep track of everything you're asking if it's in different places.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11955 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:32:12 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:11 by alienman82 »

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #11956 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 01:48:57 »

Mine works fine for me

Can you show me?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11957 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 08:11:43 »
Are the barrels and such all the same?  They have little markings on them that are different, so I kept them in order.

Maybe it's the photo, but make sure that top left spring is not bent. Any spring damage or distortion will prevent good buckling.

I clean barrels the same way I do caps, but if spring hammers are dirty, I use plain mild dishwashing soap without additives and rinse thoroughly to avoid residue that might promote rust.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11958 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 09:19:54 »

Mine works fine for me

Can you show me?
Um, I mean I can take a picture of aquakeytest for you but I just plugged mine in and it had the basic firmware loaded. And my leeku is at work so you'd have to wait. I'm not sure how else I can help since I've never had any problems with it.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #11959 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 15:40:08 »
Concerning PCB-mounted cherry stabilizers modding, I'm aware that you can :
- clipped the stem
- lube the sliders
- lube the wire and the wire holder
- add some fabric tape on the PCB

But does anyone know what's going on with that video made by ducky0113 ?

I can't find any info describing by which process that cherry stab has been modded.

Yeah I know, it's pretty much a shot in the dark... but thanks anyway !  :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11960 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 15:47:19 »
- clipped the stem
- lube the sliders

I can't find any info describing by which process that cherry stab has been modded.

You've asked this once before yeah? It doesn't look like there's anything too special with #1, which is the one that Duck modded. What exactly do you think is different because it looks relatively the same other than the fact that it seems to catch less. I'm guessing it's lubed on the wire, slider, and the inserts as well as clipped.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #11961 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 16:03:01 »

- clipped the stem
- lube the sliders

You've asked this once before yeah? It doesn't look like there's anything too special with #1, which is the one that Duck modded. What exactly do you think is different because it looks relatively the same other than the fact that it seems to catch less. I'm guessing it's lubed on the wire, slider, and the inserts as well as clipped.

I'm far from an expert, but wouldn't clipping differentiate the first one from the other two?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #11962 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 16:21:03 »
[...]
- clipped the stem
- lube the sliders
[...]

Nop, first time I'm asking something here.

I confess I don't have much experience with cherry stabs  ;D

I'm gathering as much info as possible before building my GON keyboard so I was simply wondering if there was something else that should be added to the "to-do" list above.

[...]

I'm far from an expert, but wouldn't clipping differentiate the first one from the other two?

I was (also) looking for "visual" confirmation of the effects of the mod and I guess you guys, pretty much, answered it.

Thanks ! :thumb:

To be honest, I don't even know if there is REALLY something to catch on the video (thus "a shot in the dark")  :-X

... don't hate me for this hahaha
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 April 2015, 16:22:55 by Lpwl »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11963 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 16:32:11 »
More
[...]
- clipped the stem
- lube the sliders
[...]

Nop, first time I'm asking something here.

I confess I don't have much experience with cherry stabs  ;D

I'm gathering as much info as possible before building my GON keyboard so I was simply wondering if there was something else that should be added to the "to-do" list above.

[...]

I was (also) looking for "visual" confirmation of the effects of the mod and I guess you guys, pretty much, answered it.

Thanks ! :thumb:

To be honest, I don't even know if there is REALLY something to catch on the video (thus "a shot in the dark")  :-X

... don't hate me for this hahaha

It seems like #2 and #3 have different lubing techniques. It might also be that #1 has been clipped and the other two aren't. But it's hard to tell without actually touching that board. I've clipped my stabilizers before but I never took the time to play with it to see the differences.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11964 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 19:46:03 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:32:01 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11965 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 19:48:39 »
Does Unicomp or anyone else for that matter sell the barrels or the black plastic stabilizer clips from the steel plate for IBM Model F?

Honestly I'm not sure. Fohat.digs or some of the other big IBMheads might sell you stuff. But if I were you, I'd just shoot Unicomp an email to ask.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11966 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 19:53:38 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:31:59 by alienman82 »

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11967 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:16:06 »
So, I'm curious about something. White and blue Alps are both tactile and clicky, right? What is the difference between them?
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11968 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:16:56 »
So, I'm curious about something. White and blue Alps are both tactile and clicky, right? What is the difference between them?

In my opinion White Alps are heavier in terms of actuation force and aren't as smooth.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11969 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:17:41 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:31:58 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11970 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:20:05 »
Aren't blue much harder to aquire?

Yes, they're harder to find and you'll pay more for them.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11971 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:21:23 »
From what I've seen, yeah, they're harder to acquire. I found a board with Whites that I got on ebay for $22 shipped. I'm almost certain that it cost almost that much just to ship it to me, so the seller got nothing for it. I guess they just wanted to get rid of it.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #11972 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:36:41 »
From what I've seen, yeah, they're harder to acquire. I found a board with Whites that I got on ebay for $22 shipped. I'm almost certain that it cost almost that much just to ship it to me, so the seller got nothing for it. I guess they just wanted to get rid of it.
Did you pick up one of those Uniteks? I've got one too. I think the rickety board and cheap keycaps don't do the Alps switches justice. I'll be looking for some other project to use those switches on.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11973 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 20:41:49 »
I don't know what it is, but I think you're thinking of something else, because I got mine off ebay.com.au from someone in Hobart.

http://imgur.com/a/HoXhi
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11974 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 21:47:45 »
What is the difference between clicky Alps whites and clicky alps blues?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11975 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 21:51:59 »

In my opinion White Alps are heavier in terms of actuation force and aren't as smooth.

Aren't these the same question?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11976 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 21:52:29 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:31:56 by alienman82 »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11977 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 21:59:58 »

LOL that's what I thought

Sorry, didn't see the previous reply as it was on the previous page.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11978 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:00:54 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:31:55 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11979 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:04:53 »
More

LOL that's what I thought

Sorry, didn't see the previous reply as it was on the previous page.

No problem. From now on, I'll try and use more tags instead of snipping out parts of replies :).

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11980 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:06:55 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:31:53 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11981 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:10:50 »
For CPTBADASS, what mech is your avatar from?

My avatar was artwork gifted to me from moonprismpwr and Glissant, two very kind users and friends I've met here on Geekhack. But please try and stay on topic :)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11982 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:11:34 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:31:52 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11983 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 22:55:45 »
It's no problem at all. Thanks for understanding. Sorry to stifle the chat :(.

Offline trigun0x2

• Potato Potato
    • HearthStats
« Reply #11984 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 02:38:18 »
Are the Korean Keyboards on TaoBao real?

For example:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-399661584.79.olaIpW&id=35593019970

LZ-FE on Taobao and it seems to be a new set. Does anyone have experience with this?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11985 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 03:49:06 »
Hey guys, so yesterday I asked if I could test the smd led's on my nerd TKL with a power bank but when I tried none of the lights turned on so I think they're set off.
So my question is, does anyone know what the key stroke is to turn them on? I'm pretty sure it can be done hardware wise and not only a computer right?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11986 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 04:31:16 »
So, just yesterday I floss-modded my Model M, and I intend to do the same to my Model F when I get it. Are the springs the same length? The way I cut the floss is to insert it into a spare spring I got from Unicomp and snip it off at the end of the spring, achieved fairly consistent results that way. If I can use the Unicomp spring to get appropriate floss pieces for my Model F, I could get them ready now for when the Model F arrives.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #11987 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 04:34:56 »

Mine works fine for me

Can you show me?

Um, I mean I can take a picture of aquakeytest for you but I just plugged mine in and it had the basic firmware loaded. And my leeku is at work so you'd have to wait. I'm not sure how else I can help since I've never had any problems with it.

Yes. I see. But I fixed my issue. Anyway, thanks.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11988 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 07:37:55 »
So, just yesterday I floss-modded my Model M, and I intend to do the same to my Model F when I get it. Are the springs the same length? The way I cut the floss is to insert it into a spare spring I got from Unicomp and snip it off at the end of the spring, achieved fairly consistent results that way. If I can use the Unicomp spring to get appropriate floss pieces for my Model F, I could get them ready now for when the Model F arrives.

No they are not the same length.  I believe they are a different diameter as well.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11989 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 07:44:27 »
Hey guys, so yesterday I asked if I could test the smd led's on my nerd TKL with a power bank but when I tried none of the lights turned on so I think they're set off.

So my question is, does anyone know what the key stroke is to turn them on? I'm pretty sure it can be done hardware wise and not only a computer right?

Try Pause and Escape. That's how my Leeku's PCB changes the LED lighting mods. Or maybe insert. Seems like a lot of customs utilize the mostly "useless" keys. But I'm not 100% sure.

More

Mine works fine for me

Can you show me?

Yes. I see. But I fixed my issue. Anyway, thanks.

Can you explain what your problem was?

No they are not the same length.  I believe they are a different diameter as well.

Agreed, they're not the same dimensions.

Are the Korean Keyboards on TaoBao real?

For example:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-399661584.79.olaIpW&id=35593019970

LZ-FE on Taobao and it seems to be a new set. Does anyone have experience with this?

I can't really tell but I wouldn't be surprised if Redline is selling boards on TaoBao.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 April 2015, 07:51:07 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11990 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 07:54:26 »

Ah. Do you know if I'd need to use a different type of floss, then?
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11991 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 07:57:04 »
More

I don't see why you'd need different floss. Just stretch the floss slightly differently to match the springs. It's floss. It's not like it's a steel rod lol.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11992 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 07:59:18 »
There's an idea. We should all put tiny steel rods inside the springs.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11993 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 08:10:47 »

I have used the same floss for both with no problem. The size differences in the springs are minute and almost imperceptible, and people have swapped springs with no problem.

I recommend not stretching or messing with the floss at all, use a very sharp pair of scissors, slip the original long floss into each spring individually, and snip it where it comes out. I think it is easiest to do this in situ.

Any stretching, stroking, or bending of the floss is going to make it fuzz up and flare out, which makes it much harder to insert. I strongly recommend doing it in one quick simple straight motion.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline combataran

« Reply #11994 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 09:15:55 »
How many dental tabs would I need for 204 caps?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11995 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 09:16:35 »
How many dental tabs would I need for 204 caps?

2 or 3 should do it

I always use 2 but also only do between 104-120 caps at a time.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11996 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 09:25:26 »

Try Pause and Escape. That's how my Leeku's PCB changes the LED lighting mods. Or maybe insert. Seems like a lot of customs utilize the mostly "useless" keys. But I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for the answer, I tried escape and pause and I'm pretty sure I tried escape and insert (after re-reading your message I'm not sure XD) but they didn't work so I'm just gonna go to work early tomorrow and use the computer laptop lol.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #11997 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 10:38:43 »

Thanks for the answer, I tried escape and pause and I'm pretty sure I tried escape and insert (after re-reading your message I'm not sure XD) but they didn't work so I'm just gonna go to work early tomorrow and use the computer laptop lol.

My NerD TKL is not assembled yet but you should take a look at that video (~3:23) :

Try FN1 key (*) + S

(*) by default it's your right Windows key
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 April 2015, 10:58:22 by Lpwl »

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11998 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 17:08:22 »

My NerD TKL is not assembled yet but you should take a look at that video (~3:23) :

Try FN1 key (*) + S

(*) by default it's your right Windows key
Thanks man, I'll try this out and report back later.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11999 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 17:38:39 »

I personally use the interior strands from paracord.  It is much easier for me to source than the fuzzy type dental floss usually used for this.  I want to chime in as well and stress the *sharp* scissors.  If you don't have any that will cut it clean, buy some.  If you do need to buy some, check sewing sections at various department and fabric stores.  I get my paracord from Micheals.  The 550 lb version has 7 cores, so it really doesn't take much length off the bundle.  Plus, the paracord has numerous other uses including sleeving USB cables. 

this is my video for my floss mod on my AT.