geekhack Community > Keyboards

Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)

<< < (3383/3389) > >>

ShangWang:

--- Quote from: invariance on Thu, 29 June 2023, 08:43:28 ---
--- Quote from: ShangWang on Fri, 09 June 2023, 09:55:28 ---I plan on purchasing a soldering matt for resoldering a HyperX Alloy Origins which presumably has an aluminum plate on the exterior and the switches are plate mounted.

The silicone matt has these magnetic areas for placing your screws, but my keyboard is just big enough that it takes up the whole matt space and overlaps these magnetic areas.

If my PCB or any part of the keyboard touches these magnetic parts while soldering, can it cause any damage whatsoever, or is it completely safe?

If there was any damage, would the magnets have to be extremely strong for it to do anything?

--- End quote ---
Nothing to worry about. Think of a generator where the fast motion of many wires in a loop through a magnetic field creates a voltage. Moving a circuit board over a magnet will not do anything.
If you drag your feet over polyester carpet and then touch the circuit board, that might be a different story  :))
Discharge yourself by touching someone‘a earlobe first.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I don't think I'll always have a person to discharge myself, but I do have a metal ruler that is sitting on my wooden table. Hopefully that does a decent enough job!

ShangWang:
When soldering do I need to add more solder to my iron if I applied a can of tip tinner, or does that not help? Will it make the iron worse?

Sifo:

--- Quote from: ShangWang on Mon, 03 July 2023, 06:09:47 ---When soldering do I need to add more solder to my iron if I applied a can of tip tinner, or does that not help? Will it make the iron worse?

--- End quote ---

Tip tinner is mostly for cleaning and protecting the iron, for a keyboard you can probably just get straight to soldering without adding more to the tip itself, just start feeding to the joint after heating it up a bit.

ShangWang:

--- Quote from: Sifo on Mon, 03 July 2023, 10:58:13 ---
--- Quote from: ShangWang on Mon, 03 July 2023, 06:09:47 ---When soldering do I need to add more solder to my iron if I applied a can of tip tinner, or does that not help? Will it make the iron worse?

--- End quote ---

Tip tinner is mostly for cleaning and protecting the iron, for a keyboard you can probably just get straight to soldering without adding more to the tip itself, just start feeding to the joint after heating it up a bit.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I was thinking tip-tinner is just an easier alternative to adding solder to your iron yourself. I was thinking I would have to re-tin every time I clean the iron with a brass sponge, but I guess it's not necessary if the tip looks unoxidized and shiny, but it wouldn't hurt to re-tin it again even if it's already shiny?

I'm thinking you could re-tin after cleaning the iron twice from oxidation.

Sifo:

--- Quote from: ShangWang on Mon, 03 July 2023, 14:05:09 ---
--- Quote from: Sifo on Mon, 03 July 2023, 10:58:13 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I was thinking tip-tinner is just an easier alternative to adding solder to your iron yourself. I was thinking I would have to re-tin every time I clean the iron with a brass sponge, but I guess it's not necessary if the tip looks unoxidized and shiny, but it wouldn't hurt to re-tin it again even if it's already shiny?

I'm thinking you could re-tin after cleaning the iron twice from oxidation.

--- End quote ---

You can do it before and after the soldering session as well as periodically in between during soldering after cleaning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version