geekhack Marketplace > Hunger Work Studio

With regards to the aftermarket - Buyers/Traders Beware

<< < (10/11) > >>

Joey Quinn:

--- Quote from: fatpolomanjr on Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:05:57 ---($1000 Hungrkey anyone? To be honest I'd rather that amount go straight to Binge for his awesome work).

--- End quote ---

Trying to dissuade flipping is why Hungrs are priced the way they are now, the average price is around $300 and the sales are fcfs without warning on the HWS website store.

btctopre:

--- Quote from: fatpolomanjr on Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:05:57 ---What I don't get, is where does all this aftermarket stuff happen for things that no one is ever selling?

--- End quote ---
bulk of the poop now happens on the ctrlalt slack community, where users are free to run things like private auctions (which aren't possible on gh/mm, and allow you to have some control over the buyer compared to ebay) and where it's a little easier to engage one/multiple parties in a trade/sale discussion.

in general, you also get a lot of pm offers on any site if you ever show that you have anything valuable/in-demand (which i'm sure some people succumb to).

JaccoW:

--- Quote from: fatpolomanjr on Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:05:57 ---I mean, I'm used to $200+ brobots and $300-$400 kosmonauvts and clacks. You see those sell all the time for those prices. What I don't get, is where does all this aftermarket stuff happen for things that no one is ever selling? Like V1 Reapers and Keywoks. If it was a regular thing on mechmarket or gh classifieds I'd understand. Hell maybe even purchase if I wanted the colorway bad enough ($1000 Hungrkey anyone? To be honest I'd rather that amount go straight to Binge for his awesome work).

--- End quote ---
It really depends on what people are willing to pay and eBay comes in handy some times. Geekhack nor Mechmarket allow auctions (anymore) but either you set an insane price and people pay it or you put it on an auction site and see what happens. I'm not saying it is right but seeing how bidding wars can drive people a little crazy it gets very tempting to sell caps on there.

Incidentally a keycap that was originally $40 will be gone in minutes on here if you sell it for $80 and might just net you $150-200 on eBay if it is rare and the right people bid on it.

I basically sell artisans at retail (check my FS thread for a history) but what about keys that were a surprise or are known to be one of a kind? I have some Nubbinator caps and a BroBot that are really rare but not all of them are that sought after because people simply don't know them.

However, what if I did auction them off and split the profits with the original creator? Win/win right?
It would still be profiteering off his work and making the aftermarket that much more expensive to get into to for other people.

In the end I realised I just really enjoyed photographing artisan keycaps, hold onto them for a while, and then sell the ones I didn't have a home for.
But that's different for everyone.

--- Quote from: btctopre on Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:30:48 ---in general, you also get a lot of pm offers on any site if you ever show that you have anything valuable/in-demand (which i'm sure some people succumb to).

--- End quote ---
This.

Joey Quinn:

--- Quote from: JaccoW on Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:31:12 ---
--- Quote from: btctopre on Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:30:48 ---in general, you also get a lot of pm offers on any site if you ever show that you have anything valuable/in-demand (which i'm sure some people succumb to).

--- End quote ---
This.

--- End quote ---

I've had unsolicited offers for caps where I don't respond so after a day the other member decides I must be having an auction and decides to keep out bidding themselves. I usually let it go on for a while before telling them that the price is $15k (the price of a semester of school for me) and to take it or leave it. I've yet to get a response back after the $15k pm  :))

Zanduby:

--- Quote from: Joey Quinn on Wed, 05 April 2017, 18:19:53 ---
--- Quote from: JaccoW on Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:31:12 ---

--- End quote ---
This.

--- End quote ---

I've had unsolicited offers for caps where I don't respond so after a day the other member decides I must be having an auction and decides to keep out bidding themselves. I usually let it go on for a while before telling them that the price is $15k (the price of a semester of school for me) and to take it or leave it. I've yet to get a response back after the $15k pm  :))

--- End quote ---

I'm totally going to guess we have the same person pm'ing us. I should tell them that price as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version