Author Topic: Oldest Gpu you're still using..  (Read 3444 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Oldest Gpu you're still using..
« on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 13:05:33 »
Tp4 still uses an Nvidia Ti4600 daily..

Offline Corgi Butts

Re: Oldest Gpu you're still using..
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 13:14:00 »
I was using a Radeon HD 5770 until I recently upgraded my motherboard.  With the 5770 installed the mobo refuses to POST.  I tried out a few other cards from friends/work and they all work just fine, just the 5770 causing problems.  So now I'm using the integrated graphics.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 13:22:05 »
I'm rocking the HD7950  :confused:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 14:16:54 »
That would be the GeForce 210.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 17:13:16 »
SLI GTX 780ftw since 2011 baby!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 17:56:29 »
I was using an Nvidia GTX 750 recently, but only because it worked in Windows, Linux and Mac. Was also using a GTX 710 before that, however I had an r9 280 sitting on the shelf, I just got tired of having to go into the basement and swap cards every time I decided to play with a different OS.

I was using a Radeon HD 5770 until I recently upgraded my motherboard.  With the 5770 installed the mobo refuses to POST.  I tried out a few other cards from friends/work and they all work just fine, just the 5770 causing problems.  So now I'm using the integrated graphics.
Who makes the card and what is your motherboard?
During the switch from Pcie 2.0 to 3.0, we also were switching from bios to UEFI, some manufacturers used EFI instead of UEFI in the process and some video cards just will not work.  I have an XFX R9 280 that refused to work in my Z68 board (early 2nd gen core I series), but worked fine in my Z67 board (later 2nd gen core I series). I tried ram, bios settings, I even replaced a VERY good 750 watt power supply in hopes of figuring it out. I only figured out the issue when I needed to swap the boards for some reason. If your system is 1st-3rd gen core series, that is probably the problem.

One thing I never got to test (I sold the problematic board), is if booting bios instead of EFI fixed the issue. If you use Rufus usb tool, you can make a linux boot disk and specify MBR, then change the bios to boot only non uefi and see if the card works.  If so, you have your fix, you just have to follow some tutorials to convert Windows or reload after that.

It doesn't seem to be a common issue, hence not a lot of info about it exists, may even only apply to a few motherboards or video cards. I got lucky figuring it out and even with some serious Google-fu and knowing what to search for I came up with very little results about it. Unfortunately I didn't bother bookmarking since it was fixed and I was selling the system anyhow.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 23:57:43 »
I guess the oldest GPU I use on a regular biases would be the HuC6270

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 00:35:06 »
Nvidia Quadro 600 in one of my workstations.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 00:57:03 »
Intel GMA 900

though whether i'm "still using" it is debatable, as i don't use it for anything productive

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 13:57:25 »
GTX 580

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 16:05:06 »
have a GT640 that runs in one of my servers
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 17:28:14 »
I'm using a GTX 760 in the main rig  :)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 21:37:44 »
Not using it now, but plan to when I've revived my first high end CPU (C2Q X9650), I have a Sapphire HD7970 (also one of my fave because it was and still is a kickbutt card).

TP took me back to the days of the old GF4 series, I recall buying and using the GF 4200 Ti for a short while, sold it off to get a card from the 'upstart' company known as ATi, gosh, how I wish I'd kept that 9700Pro.....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 22:33:47 »
Not using it now, but plan to when I've revived my first high end CPU (C2Q X9650), I have a Sapphire HD7970 (also one of my fave because it was and still is a kickbutt card).

TP took me back to the days of the old GF4 series, I recall buying and using the GF 4200 Ti for a short while, sold it off to get a card from the 'upstart' company known as ATi, gosh, how I wish I'd kept that 9700Pro.....

Tp4 had a 9600pro then a 9800xt .. good ol days of playn' dat Halflife 2

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 00:06:54 »
Folding@Home with an HD7970 & a p.o.s. R9 270, various Boinc projects on a HD6670.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 09:18:41 »
Folding@Home with an HD7970 & a p.o.s. R9 270, various Boinc projects on a HD6670.

Is it still power efficient to fold on the older gen? I remember there was an advisory at some point that the cost of power might exceed the value of processor time on the card.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 October 2018, 17:30:28 »
Is it still power efficient to fold on the older gen? I remember there was an advisory at some point that the cost of power might exceed the value of processor time on the card.
That only applies to crypto mining.
Folding you are "donating" your cycles to someone else, who is not footing the bill, and therefore have no care as to how much you spend to do it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion