Author Topic: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Shipped)  (Read 1066542 times)

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
[GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Shipped)
« on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 22:25:20 »
Latest Update Here

What is the Monarch?

• Alps Compatible
  • Uses Apple Extended Keyboard II keycaps (dye sub PBT) and stabilizers or Alpine Winter keycaps with custom bent stabilizer wire
  • 0.090” alumium for the top and bottom plates on the case (switch plate is recessed to allow the switches and stabilizer inserts to properly snap into place)
  • 0.375” CNC milled Lexan for the center spacer
  • 60%+left-hand numberpad layout to allow for close mouse placement while still providing the convenience of the numberpad

Prototype Pictures:

Completed prototype:

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/98VRS

Plate recesses:

Full Build Log: http://imgur.com/a/AeGHW

Differences Between the Production Version and the Prototype Pictured above:

• Cerakoted finish on the aluminum plates.
  • Plates will be laser cut and then the recesses with be milled to allow for completely square corners on all switch and stabilizer holes (the prototype was cut completely by CNC milling)
  • PCB will be provided as part of the kit, so no hand wiring necessary! Designed my skullydazed. Will be running TMK, documentation can be found here: https://github.com/skullydazed/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/keyboard/monarch/doc
  • Caps Lock and Number Lock LEDs
  • Case design slightly modified to accommodate the PCB and the indicator LEDs.
  • Additional mounting holes in the bottom plate compatible with GON's Aluminum Feet.
  • Black and silver machine screws will be available.

Production Version Renders:

Available Colors:
The aluminum plates used for the top and bottom of the case will be finished using Cerakote which is a very tough and durable ceramic coating often used on firearms.
84 different colors will be available for you to choose from including an option for just bare aluminum in case you want to finish the plates your own special way! I highly recommend looking up the color(s) you are interested in to see what the actually look like when applied, as the difference between the swatch and the actual applied look can be quite different!

Color Chart:

Final Price: $250 (shipping not included)

Order Form: http://goo.gl/forms/2KzgDqXNXY

Current Order Count: 22

The above price is for the case and the PCB, and is based on numbers for approximately 25 orders.
If the final order numbers are far below this target of 25 then I will most likely have to adjust pricing accordingly or cancel the buy.
Orders are set to close on November 7, 2015 at this time, however this date is not set in stone.

What is included in the kit:
  • Top Plate
  • Bottom Plate
  • Center Spacer
  • PCB
  • 12 Machine Screws
  • Rubber Feet (4 small and 4 large hemisphereical)

Alpine Winter Blank Numberpad:
njbair has been kind enough to reach out to me and offer to add a blank numberpad kit for Alpine Winter exclusive to the Monarch!
You can add one or more to your order for $16/set. Keep in mind that if you wish to order an Alpine Winter base set to go with it you will have to order direct from njbair here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HJET5Vl006sj6VUkNGoecomV83H5f8qu8G4ZpjdER3g/viewform?c=0&w=1
If you do order an Alpine Winter base set as well both the numberpad and the base set will be shipped along with your Monarch order so you don't have to pay shipping twice.
All orders for the numberpad will be invoiced by njbair.

The buyer will be responsible for sourcing an AEKII to harvest the keycaps and stabilizers from (if they choose to use AEKII caps and stabs).

I am more than happy to answer any and all questions you might have!
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 April 2016, 23:21:39 by koalapear »
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps Compatible 60%+LHTK (Accepting Orders)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 01:32:04 »
[Reserved]
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:58:52 »
Don't tempt me!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:20:21 »
This is exciting. I so wish my money wasn't already tied up in other Alps buys, because here's something totally unique to Alps, with both a modern and retro feel, and looks awesome.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:28:35 »
This sounds pretty amazing as I'm an alps noob but I really love how some of the switches feel(personally only tried ones from aekll orange alps) but I'm drooling at the prospect of a nice  aluminum alps custom. I have never used a board with this setup (left hand num pad) and I definitely need to do a bit more research but I just wanted to say how awesome this looks and really hope it gets off the ground. Great project 🐨 and thank you for all your hard work
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:30:31 »
So, if I understand correctly, this would just be the PCB and keycaps, but no actual keys? We'd have to solder our own keys on?
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:37:57 »
So, if I understand correctly, this would just be the PCB and keycaps, but no actual keys? We'd have to solder our own keys on?
No keycaps. Just the PCB and case components. Switches, stabilizers and caps are not included.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 14:53:26 »
No keycaps. Just the PCB and case components. Switches, stabilizers and caps are not included.

Ah. Well, I'll have to pass then. I already have an Alps ASCII keyboard, and I stumbled across a set of what I'm 99% certain are PBT Alps keycaps at a Goodwill for $2, so I don't really need to hack a way to use Apple II keycaps.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline Saimeidae

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 16:28:12 »
So excited, couldn't resist buying one. Well thought out and this should be amazing and gorgeous!

Offline zaarx

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 17:21:31 »
I wish you much success with this buy. It's a really cool design and I'm hoping it's released for Cherry MX sometime in the future. I imagine it with SA profile caps :)

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 17:50:01 »
I want this so bad. If there is anyway I can swing the cost before November 7th I will join. I don't know if I can, but I know I want to. :)
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:18:48 »
There is so much for me to love about this board. I love Alps; I spent 8 years working as a CNC machinist so I really appreciate the engineering; the Cerakote looks awesome; and I am a straight-up TMK fanboy.

I'm going to be losing some major sleep trying to decide whether to shell out for one of these, mainly because it's a lot of money, but it would be a truly unique piece for my collection.

My boards:
More

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:44:58 »
Order form submitted :D Absolutely can't wait!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 01:28:13 »
Maybe a dumb question, but this will be fully compatible with Matias Alps switches right?
And Alpine Winter will fit this fine?

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 03:48:07 »
Maybe a dumb question, but this will be fully compatible with Matias Alps switches right?

Alpine Winter has no numpad.

Offline ika

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 04:07:22 »

You can probably find the numpad parts from someone buying into the Alps Party stuff but getting keycaps from Massdrop (like me). I won't have any use for anything that isn't 60%.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 08:24:51 »

Alpine Winter has no numpad.
I realize that, but I meant for the profile itself.
As for the numpad, I could use one of the Tai-Hao sets. Maybe Olivetti.

Offline petrock

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 10:35:42 »
Any chance of selling just the PCB? And a price for that?

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 10:58:43 »
Any chance of selling just the PCB? And a price for that?

That is a possibility, sure. I think the price for the PCB alone would be around $45.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:18:22 »
yeah following. would be extremely interested!
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:25:04 »
Alpine Winter supports the AEKII layout for the main section, but no numpad support.

You could order blanks for everything but the 1x2 tall enter. If it were me, I would use a Tai Hao numpad set. The profiles are slightly different but it's not like you use those sections with the same hand.

My boards:
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:29:25 »
Alpine Winter supports the AEKII layout for the main section, but no numpad support.

You could order blanks for everything but the 1x2 tall enter. If it were me, I would use a Tai Hao numpad set. The profiles are slightly different but it's not like you use those sections with the same hand.

Yeah, this is what I plan on doing if I get the Monarch. I think the Olivette would match best with Alpine Winter. I don't mind them being different keycap sets; as the Olivette would be a different set and profile, that might make it easier for my hand to switch over to the numpad to find the keys.

Also, koalapear, is the 25 set in stone? If orders go over, do you plan on making more?
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 11:56:33 by romevi »

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 12:04:54 »

Yeah, this is what I plan on doing if I get the Monarch. I think the Olivette would match best with Alpine Winter. I don't mind them being different keycap sets; as the Olivette would be a different set and profile, that might make it easier for my hand to switch over to the numpad to find the keys.

Also, koalapear, is the 25 set in stone? If orders go over, do you plan on making more?

The 25 orders is what my goal is. If there ends up being more than that then great! I more worried about getting there first, as long as we can get over 20 orders then I think production is doable at the $250 price point. anything much less than that and I'll have to cancel or adjust pricing which is obviously not ideal.

Offline theginginator

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 12:23:10 »
I know that there are only three color choice options available but could we pay extra to have a different color done to the plates, just wondering. You would think, living in west Texas where everyone has a gun, that there would be more Cerakote dealers but the closest one to me is a 2 hour "scenic" drive  :p.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 12:29:01 »
I know that there are only three color choice options available but could we pay extra to have a different color done to the plates, just wondering. You would think, living in west Texas where everyone has a gun, that there would be more Cerakote dealers but the closest one to me is a 2 hour "scenic" drive  :p.

According to the Cerakote shop a one-off color is possible but it would need to be put in with another batch of whatever color it is so it would take longer. I'm not sure if that would cost more or how much longer it would take. I'll call them and try to get back to you!

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 14:32:37 »

According to the Cerakote shop a one-off color is possible but it would need to be put in with another batch of whatever color it is so it would take longer. I'm not sure if that would cost more or how much longer it would take. I'll call them and try to get back to you!
Placed an order for one :)

I'm also interested in some other colors, if possible. Particularly bright blues, greens or pinks!

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 14:43:19 »

Placed an order for one :)

I'm also interested in some other colors, if possible. Particularly bright blues, greens or pinks!

Awesome!  ;D

Here are the colors Cerakote is available in:

No promises on the custom colors, but I'll see what I can do!

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 15:16:07 »
Prison pink, zombie green, ridgeway blue, bright purple, and sig pink are the colors that I would be interested in, if any of those are possible :)

Offline theginginator

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 16:20:59 »
I'm interested in bright purple  :thumb:

Offline Pikly

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:18:08 »
Just ordered, really hope this goes through. Thanks for all your work on it!

Offline yangdaddy

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:37:47 »
Please forgive the dumb question, but I have no experience with custom boards. If I harvest switches from an old apple keyboard, will they just pop in? or will I have to solder or even more to make this work?
SSK 1395682, 1392464, 1391472, 1395217, 1392934, HHKBPro2, Model M 1388032, 1390120, 1390131, 1391401, 13H6705, 1394540, AEK M0115, LZ-CLS, Norbatouch, Gon NerD Crystal TKL, RF 87U 55G, Model F122, XT, AT, Ducky YOTG, AEK II M3501

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:38:58 »
Please forgive the dumb question, but I have no experience with custom boards. If I harvest switches from an old apple keyboard, will they just pop in? or will I have to solder or even more to make this work?
You'll have to solder them in and probably program the pcb.

I think you'll also need stabs and stuff...

Offline yangdaddy

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:05:02 »
Ah, I figured it wasn't that simple. Thanks for edifying me!
SSK 1395682, 1392464, 1391472, 1395217, 1392934, HHKBPro2, Model M 1388032, 1390120, 1390131, 1391401, 13H6705, 1394540, AEK M0115, LZ-CLS, Norbatouch, Gon NerD Crystal TKL, RF 87U 55G, Model F122, XT, AT, Ducky YOTG, AEK II M3501

Offline Pikly

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 20:35:55 »
You'll have to solder them in and probably program the pcb.

I think you'll also need stabs and stuff...

If he's got the Apple keyboard (the AEK II is what this kit is based on), than he should be able to harvest the stabilizers as well as the switches and keycaps.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 23:14:38 »
Are there really people walking around with lime green and pink guns? Hilarious. Putting up those fancy colours is going to make us all want to be special snowflakes. I guess I will join the purple love train.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 23:21:48 »
Are there really people walking around with lime green and pink guns? Hilarious. Putting up those fancy colours is going to make us all want to be special snowflakes. I guess I will join the purple love train.
As you should! (although I would think that someone whose name is lemon would want a yellow one!)

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 23:23:39 »
Howdy Koala - sorry if you've answered this before and I missed it. Would you be willing to offer assembly if we shipped you some switches ahead of time? While I'd love a DIY project I just don't trust myself with something this nice.

Also - sorry if noob, but does the PCB have LED/side-LED support? That acrylic piece would like miiighty nice with something shining through it :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2015, 23:28:02 by wilarseny »

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 00:56:20 »
Howdy Koala - sorry if you've answered this before and I missed it. Would you be willing to offer assembly if we shipped you some switches ahead of time? While I'd love a DIY project I just don't trust myself with something this nice.

Also - sorry if noob, but does the PCB have LED/side-LED support? That acrylic piece would like miiighty nice with something shining through it :)

I might consider assembly. Keep in mind all you need to do soldering wise is the switches as the rest of the components are going to be installed on the PCB from the fabricator so it's pretty simple stuff. As far as the case lighting goes, I considered it but  it meant that an additional chip would have to be added to the board and I personally thought lighting wasn't really needed.

For those of you considering the Bright Purple here's what is looks like on something:

If enough of you want it then I'll just add it as an option!

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 09:17:21 »

I might consider assembly. Keep in mind all you need to do soldering wise is the switches as the rest of the components are going to be installed on the PCB from the fabricator so it's pretty simple stuff. As far as the case lighting goes, I considered it but  it meant that an additional chip would have to be added to the board and I personally thought lighting wasn't really needed.

For those of you considering the Bright Purple here's what is looks like on something:

Show Image

If enough of you want it then I'll just add it as an option!
I really like that purple! For those of us that have already filled out the form, do we need to change anything?

Also, I just had a thought. Would it be possible to have the top plate in purple and the bottom one in Bronze? I think that would look really, really good...

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 09:21:53 »
Tentatively interested in this, especially if the case becomes available in brighter colors. If I can foot the bill, I always want to support American customs.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline theginginator

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 09:26:31 »
dat purple doe  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 10:02:04 »
Hey koalapear, have you considered offering this in an ANSI version as well? It would take some reworking on the PCB to support both layouts, but the plate should have the same cost and depending on the vendor, they will likely allow both layouts to count towards one MOQ (this was the case for the Alps Party GB).

Reason being, Massdrop is selling those Tai Hao caps for $20, and those would be perfect for this board if it supported ANSI.

My boards:
More

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 11:59:40 »

Bummer - I do love the look of the board but unfortunately that takes it out of the running for me. Best of luck with the GB!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:13:14 »

Bummer - I do love the look of the board but unfortunately that takes it out of the running for me. Best of luck with the GB!

With keyboard GBs I'm realizing it's pretty standard to have the keyboards unassembled. They're more DIY kits to cater to as many people's switch preferences as possible.
I know nothing about soldering, but with two of my hobbies being in keyboards and retro game consoles, where repairing and customizing systems also requires soldering, I'm just going to buy a machine and learn. It'll save me money and I won't have to rely on someone else's backed-up schedule to have my board assembled.

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 13:11:24 »
Hey koalapear, have you considered offering this in an ANSI version as well? It would take some reworking on the PCB to support both layouts, but the plate should have the same cost and depending on the vendor, they will likely allow both layouts to count towards one MOQ (this was the case for the Alps Party GB).

Reason being, Massdrop is selling those Tai Hao caps for $20, and those would be perfect for this board if it supported ANSI.

The PCB supports it already, actually. The main barrier here is the plate. The way alps stabilizers work you can't make universal plates like you can for cherry pcb mount stabs. That means another plate design and doubling the setup fee at the machine shop.

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 14:00:18 »

With keyboard GBs I'm realizing it's pretty standard to have the keyboards unassembled. They're more DIY kits to cater to as many people's switch preferences as possible.
I know nothing about soldering, but with two of my hobbies being in keyboards and retro game consoles, where repairing and customizing systems also requires soldering, I'm just going to buy a machine and learn. It'll save me money and I won't have to rely on someone else's backed-up schedule to have my board assembled.

Sorry, just to clarify I was talking about the LED thing. I totally get the rationale behind unassembled kits.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 17:23:52 »
Guns and keyboards.  What a combo.

Any chance have an option with the numpad on the right as well?  Might do a lot to increase sales and reduce the price for everyone.  Although I'm not sure how much time it would take to modify the design files.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 17:30:29 »
Guns and keyboards.  What a combo.

Any chance have an option with the numpad on the right as well?  Might do a lot to increase sales and reduce the price for everyone.  Although I'm not sure how much time it would take to modify the design files.
He stated in the interest check that switching the numpad to the right is not feasible. It would require a complete redesign of the pcb, etc. So it would just be too much time and cost.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 17:35:17 »
There should be a line of custom keyboards named after guns. Like the OTD boards after cars, but with guns. Perfect if the boards are made in Murica.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 17:35:32 »

The PCB supports it already, actually. The main barrier here is the plate. The way alps stabilizers work you can't make universal plates like you can for cherry pcb mount stabs. That means another plate design and doubling the setup fee at the machine shop.
Again, BlueNalgene's vendor for Alps Party was cool about this. They said they would count all layouts towards the same lot, as long as the number of cuts was about the same. He's got 8 layouts going towards a single MOQ.

My boards:
More