Author Topic: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Shipped)  (Read 1067338 times)

Offline Spaceman1200

Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (In Production)
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 13:52:51 »
This is gonna be awesome, can't wait to see the safety orange

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #401 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 02:09:12 »
Stunning! Man I wish I had the cash to get two of these. I went for pretty conservative colours, so I'm looking forward to seeing some of the more crazy combinations.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #402 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 16:51:00 »
Put together my second production unit:

I had to do some trimming on the stem of the numpad enter to get it to fit for the picture  :p

I also somehow ripped the stem off of the tab key when taking it off of the Monarch Proto so that's just on there with tape for the moment.

Also, no stabilizers on yet. I still need to get some wire and a bender and make some.

Here you can see how the USB sits in the opening. I'm not too happy about it but it still functions perfectly.

I think in the process of adjusting things to compensate for the inaccuracies of the waterjet things got a little skewed. Both the USB and the reset button are a little off but are both still fully accessible and usable.

I also cleaned all of the plastic parts today and it looks like some of them could use a little deburring so I'm going to get a deburring tool and see if I can fix them up a bit. You can see what I mean by looking at the bottom edge of the plastic on the USB connector picture above.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2016, 16:52:52 by koalapear »
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #403 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 17:01:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I had to do some trimming on the stem of the numpad enter to get it to fit for the picture
I also somehow ripped the stem off of the tab key when taking it off of the Monarch Proto so that's just on there with tape for the moment.

Also, no stabilizers on yet. I still need to get some wire and a bender and make some.

Show Image

Here you can see how the USB sits in the opening. I'm not too happy about it but it still functions perfectly.

I think in the process of adjusting things to compensate for the inaccuracies of the waterjet things got a little skewed. Both the USB and the reset button are a little off but are both still fully accessible and usable.

I also cleaned all of the plastic parts today and it looks like some of them could use a little deburring so I'm going to get a deburring tool and see if I can fix them up a bit. You can see what I mean by looking at the bottom edge of the plastic on the USB connector picture above.

Is that titanium blue (or whatever color that was)?

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #404 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 17:34:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I had to do some trimming on the stem of the numpad enter to get it to fit for the picture

Show Image

Is that titanium blue (or whatever color that was)?

It is indeed Blue Titanium  ;D
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #405 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 23:50:35 »
Picked up the rest of the plates from the cerakote shop today!

SOCOM Blue

Ridgeway Blue

Forrest Green

Gunmetal Gray

Satin Mag

Wild Purple

Safety Orange

Sig Pink

I got a few orders shipped out yesterday and will be working hard to get the rest out before the end of the week.  :thumb:

Offline Delirious

Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Shipping)
« Reply #406 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 08:35:19 »
Dat sig pink, such flamingo, so much personality.

Offline theginginator

« Reply #407 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 12:25:30 »
Im glad i went with safety orange  :cool: that pink looks killer as well

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #408 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 14:51:56 »
 ;D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #409 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 14:56:57 »
;D

Show Image

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

How I wish I had the money for the board. Here's hoping these boards will spark enough interest for a round 2.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #410 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 16:08:55 »
;D

Show Image

Amazing! I have to say I wasn't too into this kit when I originally saw it but the high quality finish and aesthetics of the complete build (especially with the Alpine Winter)... well I tip my hat to you  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 March 2016, 16:13:50 by nathanrosspowell »

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 16:59:31 »

Yeah, it's way brighter than I was expecting. Also, according to tracking your Monarch should be delivered so let me know if it got there in one piece!  :thumb:

Im glad i went with safety orange  :cool: that pink looks killer as well

The orange is crazy! My camera had a hard time dealing with how bright it is.  :))

Offline Delirious

« Reply #412 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 18:32:28 »

Yeah, it's way brighter than I was expecting. Also, according to tracking your Monarch should be delivered so let me know if it got there in one piece!  :thumb:

Yes the package arrived safely around Noon EDT. I was too excited that I opened the box right away without taking any pictures. It was very well packaged.
I am very pleased with the final product. The color came out perfect, it was also heavier than I anticipated. Yet I will add more weights to it still  :))
As you mentioned the usb port is a little bit off but that doesnt bother me at all. I also would like to know the distance between the 2 holes in the back for screw-in aluminum feet. I'm about to put in an order from Winkeyless and I thought it might be good idea to see if Winkeyless' acrylic feet might match up with the holes. Winkeyless feet measures about 293.5mm between the centers of both holes.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 18:47:00 »

Yes the package arrived safely around Noon EDT. I was too excited that I opened the box right away without taking any pictures. It was very well packaged.
I am very pleased with the final product. The color came out perfect, it was also heavier than I anticipated. Yet I will add more weights to it still  :))
As you mentioned the usb port is a little bit off but that doesnt bother me at all. I also would like to know the distance between the 2 holes in the back for screw-in aluminum feet. I'm about to put in an order from Winkeyless and I thought it might be good idea to see if Winkeyless' acrylic feet might match up with the holes. Winkeyless feet measures about 293.5mm between the centers of both holes.

Show Image

That's great to hear!  ;D

I'm glad you like the color even though it wasn't your first choice.

According to my CAD drawing that spacing is around 342.5mm so it doesn't look like the a B.87 foot will fit. Maybe a B.mini EX foot would be a better fit?

Be sure to post some pics one you get it built!  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #414 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 20:34:20 »
Woo! So excited that these are starting to ship.

I went ahead and got a head start on firmware programming...I tracked down skullydazed's TMK repo and used that as a starting point to make my own Monarch keymap.

I'm pretty psyched for this keyboard and some of the cool layout options it enables. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on some of my layout design choices--what you like, and what you'd do differently.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #415 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 21:30:00 »
Okay here's the rest of the Monarchs ready for migration!  :p

You should all have received tracking info either via PM or USPS email. Please let me know if you haven't gotten your info, and also be sure to let me know when it arrives!  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #416 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 21:33:11 »
Okay here's the rest of the Monarchs ready for migration!
Show Image

You should all have received tracking info either via PM or USPS email. Please let me know if you haven't gotten your info, and also be sure to let me know when it arrives!  :thumb:
Classical guitar? Wow, man. You and I have the same taste in trackballs and musical instruments.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline mesteris

« Reply #417 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 22:10:37 »
Wow the cerakote looks incredible. Please run more groupbuys with this!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #418 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 22:12:56 »
Can't wait to see all the pics. No potatoes!

Offline Pikly

« Reply #419 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 22:20:50 »

I went ahead and got a head start on firmware programming...I tracked down skullydazed's TMK repo and used that as a starting point to make my own Monarch keymap.

I'm pretty psyched for this keyboard and some of the cool layout options it enables. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on some of my layout design choices--what you like, and what you'd do differently.

Looks pretty good! I like your use of the right apple key for momentary layer changes, works well for things you don't routinely access. For my purposes, I probably won't stray to far from the standard layout, except for a few changes here and there (I mostly play Starcraft 2, so there will likely be some layers to aid with control groups and camera hotkeys).

On a slightly related note about customizing the Monarch, I've been thinking about the backlighting. Originally I wasn't going to bother with it, and so didn't get any LEDs or resistors to implement it. But after rethinking it, having some undercase lighting might be cool. The only problem is I don't think I could settle on a single color, at least not initially. My case is dark green, so it's not immediately obvious what color would work best.

So I started researching RGB LED options. Obviously the PCB doesn't support it, but I did find an interesting alternative: addressable RGB LEDs. These LEDs have an LED controller built in that uses a single data line that sets the color, and are chainable. This means you can individually control the color of multiple LEDs in series with a single output from the MCU. What's more, there is a library written for AVRs that handles the bit banging to control the LEDs.

My plan is to use one of the spare outputs to control the LEDs, and wire VCC and GND to each LED. I have two questions though on doing this. One, each LED can draw up to 60 mA (full bright white), how much current can be supplied through the VCC? If necessary, I might have to have a secondary power supply. Second, is where to put the LED control in the TMK firmware. I can think of two options: first, is to do it with the matrix scan. This will probably work, but the timing will be inconsistent for animation purposes (though I could compensate by using the global timer value to calculate lighting). The second option is to use a timer and an interrupt service routine. This will provide consistent timing, but I'm not sure on the availability of timer ISRs in the TMK firmware, or if this is an appropriate use of an ISR. Any comments on adding something like this to the TMK firmware would be appreciated.

Anyway, super excited to finally have this keyboard, can't wait to get started on it!

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #420 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 22:36:32 »
Okay here's the rest of the Monarchs ready for migration!
Show Image

Classical guitar? Wow, man. You and I have the same taste in trackballs and musical instruments.

If only I knew how to play!  :p

Can't wait to see all the pics. No potatoes!

I'm super excited to see everyone's pictures too! Going to make it all worth it!

Wow the cerakote looks incredible. Please run more groupbuys with this!

I really love how the cerakote came out too. Although, I'm not sure I'm up for another group buy. They're a lot of work!  :eek:

Looks pretty good! I like your use of the right apple key for momentary layer changes, works well for things you don't routinely access. For my purposes, I probably won't stray to far from the standard layout, except for a few changes here and there (I mostly play Starcraft 2, so there will likely be some layers to aid with control groups and camera hotkeys).

On a slightly related note about customizing the Monarch, I've been thinking about the backlighting. Originally I wasn't going to bother with it, and so didn't get any LEDs or resistors to implement it. But after rethinking it, having some undercase lighting might be cool. The only problem is I don't think I could settle on a single color, at least not initially. My case is dark green, so it's not immediately obvious what color would work best.

So I started researching RGB LED options. Obviously the PCB doesn't support it, but I did find an interesting alternative: addressable RGB LEDs. These LEDs have an LED controller built in that uses a single data line that sets the color, and are chainable. This means you can individually control the color of multiple LEDs in series with a single output from the MCU. What's more, there is a library written for AVRs that handles the bit banging to control the LEDs.

My plan is to use one of the spare outputs to control the LEDs, and wire VCC and GND to each LED. I have two questions though on doing this. One, each LED can draw up to 60 mA (full bright white), how much current can be supplied through the VCC? If necessary, I might have to have a secondary power supply. Second, is where to put the LED control in the TMK firmware. I can think of two options: first, is to do it with the matrix scan. This will probably work, but the timing will be inconsistent for animation purposes (though I could compensate by using the global timer value to calculate lighting). The second option is to use a timer and an interrupt service routine. This will provide consistent timing, but I'm not sure on the availability of timer ISRs in the TMK firmware, or if this is an appropriate use of an ISR. Any comments on adding something like this to the TMK firmware would be appreciated.

Anyway, super excited to finally have this keyboard, can't wait to get started on it!

I'm terrible with firmware and the like so I'll leave this one to skullydazed, but I am very excited to see what you can do with this!  :thumb:

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #421 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 22:44:46 »

:thumb:

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #422 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 23:06:55 »

This is a great option for adding RGB under lighting. And actually, that's basically what the clueboard 2.0 uses for its RGB under lighting.

The best option if you want to do that is to setup QMK. It has support for those RGB strips built-in. I have my own QMK fork but I haven't added monarch support yet. It's on my todo list. :)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #423 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 01:14:57 »

This is a great option for adding RGB under lighting. And actually, that's basically what the clueboard 2.0 uses for its RGB under lighting.

The best option if you want to do that is to setup QMK. It has support for those RGB strips built-in. I have my own QMK fork but I haven't added monarch support yet. It's on my todo list. :)
Hasu has a branch of tmk_core with user hooks... Eventually that should make it into master. I'll bet there's a hook that would work well for this.

My boards:
More

Offline Pikly

« Reply #424 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 09:43:25 »

Thanks, I'll take a look at that! I might try to use it for inspiration and port it into the official Monarch fork, but we'll see.

In other news, my Monarch unexpectedly came today!

So excited to start building, it's so beautiful!

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #425 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 10:46:24 »
Got mine in today, will build once I decide on what switches to use! Turned out great!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #426 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 05:40:45 »
So what is the workflow for adding the Monarch files to the tmk stuff I already have from the official repo? I'm still trying to get my head around how this stuff works.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #427 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 09:34:43 »
So what is the workflow for adding the Monarch files to the tmk stuff I already have from the official repo? I'm still trying to get my head around how this stuff works.
Nothing official yet, but you can pull in skullydazed's TMK fork which I linked to above.

My boards:
More

Offline Pikly

« Reply #428 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 16:33:52 »
Got my Monarch put together! I'll have to work on adding RGB later as the parts aren't in yet, but I couldn't wait to build it when it came in, so here it is!

Some more pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/k3qc6. Complicated blue Alps were harvested from this keyboard, keycaps from a Datadesk MAC 101E. Had some issues with stabilizers during the build: the Datadesk used different positions on the numpad stabilizers, and the space bar used a different stab wire shape AND had two posts instead of one, both in a different position than an AEK II space bar. I've left the numpad stabs off until I figure out the right shape to make it work, for the space bar I clipped both posts off and reshaped an AEK II space bar stab to fit the Datadesk space bar. It works, but makes a remarkable CLACK sound when it bottoms out, I'll have to find some way of padding the plate where it hits to dampen the sound. Here's a video of typing on it if anyone's interested:

Overall, very pleased with how it turned out;  Looking forward to getting RGB working with it.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #429 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 16:43:30 »
Got my Monarch put together! I'll have to work on adding RGB later as the parts aren't in yet, but I couldn't wait to build it when it came in, so here it is!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Some more pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/k3qc6. Complicated blue Alps were harvested from this keyboard, keycaps from a Datadesk MAC 101E. Had some issues with stabilizers during the build: the Datadesk used different positions on the numpad stabilizers, and the space bar used a different stab wire shape AND had two posts instead of one, both in a different position than an AEK II space bar. I've left the numpad stabs off until I figure out the right shape to make it work, for the space bar I clipped both posts off and reshaped an AEK II space bar stab to fit the Datadesk space bar. It works, but makes a remarkable CLACK sound when it bottoms out, I'll have to find some way of padding the plate where it hits to dampen the sound. Here's a video of typing on it if anyone's interested:

Overall, very pleased with how it turned out;  Looking forward to getting RGB working with it.

WOW! This seriously made my day! Looks absolutely amazing with those caps! Sounds great too!  :thumb:

Can't wait to see more builds!  ;D

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #430 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 23:24:58 »
Another fine Monarch and those blue Alps are making me so jealous.

Offline theginginator

Re: [GB] The Monarch: Alps 60%+LHTK (Shipped)
« Reply #431 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 13:26:17 »
Recieved mine this afternoon, can't wait to get off from work and start putting it together. The Orange is on a whole nother level. Color just pops!! Thanks Koalapear :thumb:

Offline Saimeidae

« Reply #432 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 13:27:18 »
Hey Pikly, awesome build.

I was wondering if you could provide more info on the Datadesk 101E, as the Deskthority page is rather lacking. What are the caps made of? Do they feel like they're pretty solid quality?

Thinking about getting a few sets of those caps and playing dressup with some PBT dye, if that ends out being reasonable, with my Monarch ;)

Should get mine built today, and I may post a few pictures!

Offline Pikly

« Reply #433 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 17:32:59 »
Hey Pikly, awesome build.

I was wondering if you could provide more info on the Datadesk 101E, as the Deskthority page is rather lacking. What are the caps made of? Do they feel like they're pretty solid quality?

Thinking about getting a few sets of those caps and playing dressup with some PBT dye, if that ends out being reasonable, with my Monarch ;)

Should get mine built today, and I may post a few pictures!

Thanks!

The keycaps are doubleshot, and I'm pretty sure ABS. They're a little on the thin side, textured on the top and smooth on the sides. I don't really mind it though, as they feel "soft" on my fingers, which I like. Structurally, I feel like they should hold up fine.

The keyboard also uses complicated white Alps (at least the one I got), which are a pretty decent switch; so if you get one you can use/sell the switches.

Here's a shot of one of the keycaps from the album I linked above:

And please do post some pictures! I want to see all the different Monarchs and how they look with the different colors  :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2016, 17:37:59 by Pikly »

Offline notmybongos

« Reply #434 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 17:42:33 »
Mine came in today! Can't wait to put it together (:

Do any of you folks plan on lubing your switches? I figure this might be the only time I'll get around to it, but I can't seem to find any good info on lubing Alps. I'll be using dampened cream Alps from a pretty minty AEK2...but I'd love them to feel a little less sandy.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #435 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 18:04:45 »
Mine came in today! Can't wait to put it together (:

Do any of you folks plan on lubing your switches? I figure this might be the only time I'll get around to it, but I can't seem to find any good info on lubing Alps. I'll be using dampened cream Alps from a pretty minty AEK2...but I'd love them to feel a little less sandy.

Use a dry powdered lube, not grease. And while you have them open, consider click modding them, which I think makes creams feel a million times better. That's what I'm building my Monarch with. In fact I'm working on click modding them tonight. Just taking my time picking at them while watching TV.

My boards:
More

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #436 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 19:00:23 »
All put together, thank you koalapear and skullydazed!

Also obligatory sorry for the potato pic.

Offline Pikly

« Reply #437 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:53:37 »

Show Image

Looks great! Is that the Cobalt plate?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #438 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:00:15 »
Super psyched that I got my Monarch kit! I'm taking my time building it, though, because I'll be using click modded Cream Alps and I haven't had the motivation to do the click mod. But now that that kit is here I magically became motivated...weird!

Titanium Blue, baby!

Dat Cerakote...

Click mod in progress!

My boards:
More

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #439 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:12:14 »

Show Image

Looks great! Is that the Cobalt plate?

It's Sniper Grey, but I'd imagine Cobalt looks just about the same. I thought it would have a hint of blue to it but regardless it looks awesome. I think SOCOM Blue is a little closer to the color I wanted but I don't think it was an available option at the time I picked my color. Still though, wow it looks slick; and it packs some weight too!

Super psyched that I got my Monarch kit! I'm taking my time building it, though, because I'll be using click modded Cream Alps and I haven't had the motivation to do the click mod. But now that that kit is here I magically became motivated...weird!

Good luck! I could have made and used click modded creams if I didn't have the patience to wait before assembling the board  :))

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #440 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:35:28 »
Does tmk have support for locking caps locks? I ended up using the locking switch from my AEKII, since I think they're cool.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #441 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:37:45 »
Does tmk have support for locking caps locks? I ended up using the locking switch from my AEKII, since I think they're cool.
Yes. https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/README.md#mechanical-locking-support

My boards:
More

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #442 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:04:31 »
got mine in today, safe and sound. working on it right now, I underestimated the small size of the under lighting, Not too sure i can handle it lol

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #443 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 23:28:53 »
Here's the board!
133396-0

Offline skullydazed

• * Vendor
  • Had to turn PM's off. Email info@clueboard.co!
    • Clueboard
« Reply #444 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 23:46:34 »
got mine in today, safe and sound. working on it right now, I underestimated the small size of the under lighting, Not too sure i can handle it lol

Just take it easy and slow and you'll get it. :) The PCB already has some solder on each pad, so just tin your led's, use tweezers to set one in place, and then heat the existing solder with your iron. Once you've flowed it around the LED pull the iron away, blow on the solder, then release the tweezers. Press down on the other side of the LED with your tweezers, apply the iron, once it's reflowed remove the iron, blow on the solder, remove the tweezers.

Test after each LED/Resistor combo. It sucks to get to the end only to find out you did something wrong. Taking the time to test each LED as you install it can save you from having to remove all of them.

Once you get one or two done the rest will be much easier. Just take your time and don't rush anything. (And if you're of legal drinking age, a beer is a great way to steady your hands. If you're not you're young enough that your hands shouldn't shake yet. ;) )
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2016, 23:48:32 by skullydazed »

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #445 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 00:32:48 »
So glad they're making it to everyone in one piece! Love seeing the finished builds so much! Keep the pictures coming!  ;D

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #446 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 05:56:03 »
got mine all put together sans backlighting, need some new tweezers and a new set of backlighting parts, dropped some when my dog wanted to say hi (whoops)

Offline E3E

« Reply #447 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 06:19:08 »
Looking good, guys! :D

Offline Delirious

« Reply #448 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 12:46:51 »
All these dank Blue Alps Monarch boards, I might have to go with Orange Alps because I'm a maverick.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #449 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 13:29:10 »
All these dank Blue Alps Monarch boards, I might have to go with Orange Alps because I'm a maverick.

Speaking of, out of the blues that I got, I seem to have about 3 totally dud switches. I've tried swapping everything but the actuation side into some cream alps switches, but that just makes it super scratchy. Is there any chance that anyone in this thread has 3 or 4 spares that they'd be willing to sell me? I'd REALLY appreciate it, and I'd compensate you more than fairly.

Please PM me if we can work something out!