Author Topic: Cherry vs OEM - travel distance is the same  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Giorgio

Cherry vs OEM - travel distance is the same
« on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 14:34:54 »
Being new to the mechanical keyboard world, and coming from an apple keyboard, I was quite sure that I would have liked the cherry profile, because it is shorter and has an higher quality. But instead I'm enjoying much more the OEM profile, maybe that I enjoy the longer travel of the OEM keycaps of my pok3r, and the higher acceleration when I press the keys. Furthermore, when using o-rings the cherry keycaps seem to have a travel that is too short.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2015, 04:51:27 by Giorgio »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Cherry vs OEM
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 15:41:58 »
ok
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 15:52:52 »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 16:09:31 »
Being new to the mechanical keyboard world, and coming from an apple keyboard, I was quite sure that I would have liked the cherry profile, because it is shorter and has an higher quality. But instead I'm enjoying much more the OEM profile, maybe that I enjoy the longer travel of the OEM keycaps of my pok3r, and the higher acceleration when I press the keys. Furthermore, when using o-rings the cherry keycaps seem to have a travel that is too short.

I feel the same really, I've gone through so many sets of keycaps thinking "this must be amazing".  In the end I always go back to OEM.

SA is the last one to try and I'll see if that can tip the scale.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 16:16:49 »
ok

I'm quite sure that this argument is very old, anyway I haven't seen it in a while :-p

OK?

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 16:23:55 »
I'm getting a cherry profile set here soon,  I'm still not sure how much of a difference there is to the profile on topre boards, but we shall see.

Maybe I'll love it.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 16:24:34 »
Funny you should mention it, I just got my first Cherry profile PBT caps from Massdrop today, and am comparing them to OEM.  Even typing on them for less than 10 minutes, I already like the Cherry profile much better.  Since they have a shorter profile, they seem to sit  more stably on the Cherry switches, and thus are much less wild to type on.  I dont find the minimally less travel distance to be a con, but rather something that seems a little more natural to type on since I am inherently heavy handed with the keyboard.  The keystrokes come faster, yet still have the same tactile feedback that I enjoy from the mx blue switches.  Im not sure if there is a significant height difference between rows with the Cherry profile, but it feels like it is more flat (but not totally flat) and easier to transition between rows.  Im actually surprised that a keycap can make such a dramatic difference in feel, and I think so far that this is the best profile I have typed on.  Chiclets are definitely the worst, and I find myself making lots of mistakes with them (which is what I imagine you had with your Apple).

As for the o-rings, I tried them at first to try to dampen the noise of the mx blues, but I found that they reduced key travel too much, and they were uncomfortable to type on.  Now only the spacebar warrants the o-ring, since I find it overly noisy without it.  The shorter key travel with the Cherry profile feels more natural than OEM with o-rings for me.

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 16:57:49 »
Different Strokes for Different Folks! 

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 17:23:41 »
Different strokes for different brands. I wonder if different keycaps have internal reinforcements of different lengths (the cross inside the keycaps), so the total travel to bottom out may be different. Too late to measure it with a caliber. For me it's one a.m.
Good night :-)

Different Strokes for Different Folks!

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 00:38:29 »
I'm getting a cherry profile set here soon,  I'm still not sure how much of a difference there is to the profile on topre boards, but we shall see.

Maybe I'll love it.

You not gonna love it,
You gonna live with it, in it, forever and happily ever after
Like me and my GMKs
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 01:07:35 »

Maybe I'll love it.

You not gonna love it,
You gonna live with it, in it, forever and happily ever after
Like me and my GMKs
Yes, cherry profile makes typing more enjoyable. At first I didn't like my octagon because I was using SP caps on it, so I immediately took them off and threw on my OG Dolch, and it has made the keyboard amazing. SP is general is too tall and too thin. Makes you feel hollow while you type

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 01:35:20 »
Cherry profile all day everyday.

And o-rings are stupid.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 04:16:07 »
Cherry profile have the same travel as OEM caps.

With the same orings on, though, the travel reduction is more due to the lower cross-pieces in Cherry caps. Lower tops means slightly more stability and the top angles are quite similar to OEM. I much prefer Cherry profile due in part to the fact that most Cherry profile caps are thicker and better made than OEM caps.

The only case I can see OEM being "better" is with MX Blues if you really like the high pitch of the click, where the thicker caps dampen the upper frequencies of the click more. I happen to hate the cheap-sounding click of Blues, though, so....
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 13:06:53 »

Hm, I could swear that the distance to bottoming out feels a little shorter with the Cherry profile caps, though I guess the difference is just psychological then?

With the same orings on, though, the travel reduction is more due to the lower cross-pieces in Cherry caps.

Yea, I noticed this when I went to put the o-ring on the spacebar.  I dont like o-rings on any other key though.

The only case I can see OEM being "better" is with MX Blues if you really like the high pitch of the click, where the thicker caps dampen the upper frequencies of the click more. I happen to hate the cheap-sounding click of Blues, though, so....

Personally I like the more solid sound of the click with the thicker keycaps, though im sure that some would want to make this argument.  I think the stability of the lower profile keycap should trump any difference in sound, however.         

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 00:59:25 »

With the same orings on, though, the travel reduction is more due to the lower cross-pieces in Cherry caps. Lower tops means slightly more stability and the top angles are quite similar to OEM. I much prefer Cherry profile due in part to the fact that most Cherry profile caps are thicker and better made than OEM caps.

This.

OEM overall height = Cherry overall height with a rubber mat under the keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 04:50:20 »
I had to verify this... The travel distance of OEM and cherry profile is the same.... At least for the home row, where f and j are.

Cherry profile with o-rings
At rest 1.8cm from the bottom of the switch to the top of the keycap
Depressed 1.47cm
Travel 3.3mm

Cherry without o-rings
1.8cm 1.4cm
Travel 4mm

OEM with one o-ring
1.91cm 1.56cm
Travel 3.5mm

OEM with two o-rings
1.91cm 1.63cm
Travel 2.8mm

OEM without o-rings
1.93cm 1.52cm
Travel 4.1mm

Offline kirkvomit

Re: Cherry vs OEM - travel distance is the same
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 09:31:11 »
I have poker with OEM pbt caps and think that they are good. But I like GMK caps little bit more.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Cherry vs OEM - travel distance is the same
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 11:23:58 »
The travel distance on all MX keycaps is the same. Any keycap that is designed properly for MX will be the same, as it won't interfere with the switch travel. Changing keycap won't change the travel characteristic of the keyswitch. That said, different profile do drastically change the perceived typing feeling. Shorter profile keycap feel more stable, as they are less prone to 'rocking' wobble. Thickness have effect on the sound, and different mass can make the keyswitch feel lighter or heavier.
I've tried them all on MX, and Cherry is the best for me. They have the sweet spot for height, mass and the proper sculpting for the most comfortable typing.