Author Topic: Don't Care about Football/Sports  (Read 8061 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Don't Care about Football/Sports
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:34:05 »
your thread is a sports hate thread. dont act stupid. if i wouldnt have said anything youd still be on an anti sports circlejerk.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:35:41 »
your thread is a sports hate thread. dont act stupid. if i wouldnt have said anything youd still be on an anti sports circlejerk.

Anti sports is a bit sensationalist, I said I didnt like sports, I gave a reason why hoping others could express their opinion. In fact, I would say this thread is exactly what I wanted.  :p

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:37:55 »
You have a rather myopic view of things.  I can tell you that your narrative is frankly untrue in a large portion of the US.  There are loud and outspoken anti-intellectuals, but that is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

One such example of changing things, the rise in people describing themselves as sapiosexual.

Well I do not deny that my world view is somewhat small, as is most peoples. It just seems that we are so polorized. Take for example the aparent lack of women in science. Now that could be a function of many things, but in many ways we could do a lot more to ensure that science is made "cool."

A bit off topic but thats what the media portrays and brainwashes people to think/consider the norm. Its the psychology of "bandwagoning" and fear to be left out. Which brings to point of entertainment... Though Im not big on football, more of a basketball fan, undermining those who does is just ignorant. No one has to like or dislike sports but should agree sports is a huge part of the US culture.

you should feel special. youre such a unique snowflake that is above others.

this "im too good for sports so i must tell everybody" is the dumbest **** ever.

Exactly what I think when I see people spamming topre "master-race" on this community. Oh wait...

again, okay?

you do know the world doesnt stop for the superbowl right? youre neither unique nor above anybody because you dont care for it. you just look like a lame ass for reminding people how much you dont care about something. nobody cares. and we dont need two threads about the same ****.

Just to be clear I told frosty I was going to start a thread after a discussion over sykpe and he decided to start one himself...

You dont have to be so bitter bro, the intention was to allow people to bond, knowing that not everyone has to be infatuated by sports. Sorry for trying Demik  :'(

so you bond by talking **** about stuff others enjoy?

right.

Your thoughts on cherry switches others enjoy?

(Im probably gonna get **** on for this  :'()
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:40:49 »
i dont care for what others enjoy. ive stated multiple times that switch choice is personal.

my over the top topre/hhkb posts are a joke.

ffs, master race. who really believes it?

but youre right. and when i make a thread specifically stating i hate cherry feel free to call me out on it.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:42:21 »
i dont care for what others enjoy. ive stated multiple times that switch choice is personal.

but youre right. and when i make a thread specifically stating i hate cherry feel free to call me out on it.

will do  :))

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:48:16 »

will do  :))

I personally think thats the whole point of this community. I wont call anyone out for it, I was just making a point that everyone has different perspectives. No ones right or wrong when it comes down to something they personally enjoy/hate.
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 20:13:03 »
BTW I never meant to "Bash" sports fans, you guys are my friends and my colleagues. My only intention was to express an opinion that we may put too much emphasis on sports as a socoeity, something that is not the fault of any sports fan.  :-*

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 21:34:32 »
BTW I never meant to "Bash" sports fans, you guys are my friends and my colleagues. My only intention was to express an opinion that we may put too much emphasis on sports as a socoeity, something that is not the fault of any sports fan.  :-*

Go **** yourself. You keyboard wanking science nerd.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 21:49:57 »
I don't get the connection to NASA. Who wants to watch a shuttle launch every weekend?
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline tbc

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 21:51:20 »

newbies actually do
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 21:58:29 »

Go **** yourself. You keyboard wanking science nerd.
tightt
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 22:01:30 »
Can't we all just agree that boobs are great and Justin Beiber is a piece of ****?

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 22:04:26 »
it's 2015 who the **** makes beiber jokes

SPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSS
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 03:47:54 »
Damn, I didn't know football was such a big deal in the US, least now you can probably understand why our football fans just fight it out rather than try and have 'debates'...

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 04:13:11 »
American football is stupid.

Handball you got ball in Hand so it's Handball.
BasketBall you throw ball in basket so it's basketBall.
Tru football you kick ball with foot so football.

American football, you throw ball and it's Football, I'm not familiar with the sport but you never kick the ball right ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline tbc

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 04:15:16 »

American football, you throw ball and it's Football, I'm not familiar with the sport but you never kick the ball right ?

you do kick the ball.  but under very specific circumstances usually.  it's also only really done by one guy on the team
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 04:41:45 »

you do kick the ball.  but under very specific circumstances usually.  it's also only really done by one guy on the team

Yeah I heard a story that some American team offered Johnny Wilkinson a job as their kicker for £1m per kick (Wilko was England's Rugby number 1 goal scorer and at the time the best kicker in the world to have played the game) but he turned down the offer to play (Rugby) in France. Duknow if that's true tho

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 12:10:48 »
I don't care for sports either. Personally they don't interest me at all, but if someone wants to watch others play a game I guess that's fine. What I do have a problem with is that some schools pay more into their sports programs than actual education... and professional sports is absurd when some guys make the gdp of some countries to play a game (I have same type of opinion about obscenely paid actors, musicians and etc too). Priorities are seriously out of whack there. But they certainly do what they are in place for, to keep the masses distracted so they don't pay attention to things that actually matter. The people in power really don't want too many people to get clued in so they provide spectacles... same **** since Roman times.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 12:13:47 »

^
hahah this, so much. dumbest goddamned name for what it actually is. you kick the ball at the end of a drive, or after a touchdown, if you're lucky. So maybe 2% if the game actually involves contact of the ball with a foot...

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 12:26:29 »
I don't care for sports either. Personally they don't interest me at all, but if someone wants to watch others play a game I guess that's fine. What I do have a problem with is that some schools pay more into their sports programs than actual education... and professional sports is absurd when some guys make the gdp of some countries to play a game (I have same type of opinion about obscenely paid actors, musicians and etc too). Priorities are seriously out of whack there. But they certainly do what they are in place for, to keep the masses distracted so they don't pay attention to things that actually matter. The people in power really don't want too many people to get clued in so they provide spectacles... same **** since Roman times.
Sport school program never made sense to me, you're a dummy but can run/throw a ball so you get a diploma?

Totally agree on your point on masses distraction but I guess it's another topic, there's so much to say about it...

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 12:30:48 »
650 million watched my blues but only 115.5 million watched the super bowl...

dont care for american football much at all...

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 13:17:47 »

^
hahah this, so much. dumbest goddamned name for what it actually is. you kick the ball at the end of a drive, or after a touchdown, if you're lucky. So maybe 2% if the game actually involves contact of the ball with a foot...

I always find etymology interesting when I bother to read up on it. While I enjoy hockey, I have never really understood where the word came from and have never have looked it up before. It's weird and fuzzy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey#Etymology

The same with soccer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28word%29#Etymology

And I never really knew where the term "gridiron football" came from either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gridiron_football

All of it's quite ridiculous, honestly. I never really understood why people got all uppity about the whole "soccer or football" and whatnot. The names are largely contextual anyway; if you live somewhere that calls it "soccer" call it soccer. If not, call it whatever you want. I don't call pineapples "ananas" just because the French do. I know a lot of people who flip their **** if you call hockey just "hockey" and not "ice hockey."

Whatever.

I elect we rename American football "concussion avoidance game."

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 13:19:14 »

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 13:25:04 »
Show Image

Heh. I assume that's a Seahawks player's reaction to the interception? I like that I got 100% of the action in 10 seconds from npr.org this morning.

And the ads sounded depressing.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:10:23 »

Yeah I heard a story that some American team offered Johnny Wilkinson a job as their kicker for �1m per kick (Wilko was England's Rugby number 1 goal scorer and at the time the best kicker in the world to have played the game) but he turned down the offer to play (Rugby) in France. Duknow if that's true tho

1 million per kick? im going to have to call bull**** on that.
Show Image

Heh. I assume that's a Seahawks player's reaction to the interception? I like that I got 100% of the action in 10 seconds from npr.org this morning.

yup. that is their main **** talker. so it was so nice to see him almost cry.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:12:15 »

Yeah I heard a story that some American team offered Johnny Wilkinson a job as their kicker for �1m per kick (Wilko was England's Rugby number 1 goal scorer and at the time the best kicker in the world to have played the game) but he turned down the offer to play (Rugby) in France. Duknow if that's true tho

All you have to remeber is he chose France over 1 million $
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:15:09 »

^

I always find etymology interesting when I bother to read up on it. While I enjoy hockey, I have never really understood where the word came from and have never have looked it up before. It's weird and fuzzy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey#Etymology

The same with soccer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28word%29#Etymology

And I never really knew where the term "gridiron football" came from either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gridiron_football

All of it's quite ridiculous, honestly. I never really understood why people got all uppity about the whole "soccer or football" and whatnot. The names are largely contextual anyway; if you live somewhere that calls it "soccer" call it soccer. If not, call it whatever you want. I don't call pineapples "ananas" just because the French do. I know a lot of people who flip their **** if you call hockey just "hockey" and not "ice hockey."

Whatever.

Is the actual ball 12"? then it might make sense :P

(lol sportsball)

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:26:18 »
More

^

Whatever.

Is the actual ball 12"? then it might make sense :P

(lol sportsball)
Length of ball:   10 7/8 to 11 7/16 inches (long axis).

Found here: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0113430.html

So, by Subway's logic, yes, it's 12 inches.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 16:03:00 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 17:53:34 »

Show Image

yup. that is their main **** talker. so it was so nice to see him almost cry.

Did some digging; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-488046/American-football-woos-kicking-king-Wilkinson--5m-year-hits.html

wasn't too far off

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 18:16:36 »
6mil a year vs 1mil a kick is WAY off bruh

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:20:31 »
The point is that I and others are not entertained by a bunch of guys running around giving each other brain injuries.  :p :))
I sometimes wonder if American Football in US High School, colleges all the way to the NFL is not a conspiracy to train kids for the US Army.
The game consists of violence (pushing, shoving, running into each other) with the players more or less as pawns where the outcome is greatly dependent on the coaches' tactics and less on individual skill or stamina - much like on a battlefield.
The leaders of Hitlerjugend employed similar games to train kids to become soldiers in the Wehrmacht.

Why else promote a game that is so stupid and violent?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:21:45 »
Foooootball

yawn
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 20:28:47 »
Length of ball:   10 7/8 to 11 7/16 inches (long axis).

Found here: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0113430.html

So, by Subway's logic, yes, it's 12 inches.
In my case, it is not the balls that is 12 inches ...

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 21:02:47 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 02:20:51 »

Sorry bro my bad, but it's still an insane amount compared to a Rugby salary (least at the time)...

Offline ReeferMadness

• Too weird to live, too rare to die.
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 15:40:51 »
this is quite the thrilling read, thank's gents.  ;D

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 20:04:17 »

Sorry bro my bad, but it's still an insane amount compared to a Rugby salary (least at the time)...

actually i take it back, it's 6mil for 4 years. and it looks like it didn't happen due to injuries.

either way, i'm surprised they don't try to get more rugby and/or soccer players as kickers. well, i doubt rugby or soccer players would care to play anyway, since it's a sit and wait type of position instead of an always active one like soccer/rugby (well, i'm guessing for rugby since i know very little of it)

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 21:23:23 »
Fairly sure some retired AFL (aussie rules) went to NFL as Kickers.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:28:09 »

actually i take it back, it's 6mil for 4 years. and it looks like it didn't happen due to injuries.

either way, i'm surprised they don't try to get more rugby and/or soccer players as kickers. well, i doubt rugby or soccer players would care to play anyway, since it's a sit and wait type of position instead of an always active one like soccer/rugby (well, i'm guessing for rugby since i know very little of it)

Yeah I imagin that's a big reason, the best rugby kickers in the world are also amazing players and because tackling in American Football requires only mass, rugby players wouldn't do so well in anything other than kicking.

Not sure football would translate much, but football players all about dat money and little else so maybe...

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 18:05:55 »
again, okay?

you do know the world doesnt stop for the superbowl right? youre neither unique nor above anybody because you dont care for it. you just look like a lame ass for reminding people how much you dont care about something. nobody cares. and we dont need two threads about the same ****.
demik has no chill

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 18:55:04 »

Yeah I imagin that's a big reason, the best rugby kickers in the world are also amazing players and because tackling in American Football requires only mass, rugby players wouldn't do so well in anything other than kicking.

Not sure football would translate much, but football players all about dat money and little else so maybe...

Can you stop making blasting this ignorance.