Author Topic: how to pull out keycap without using a keycap puller?  (Read 76589 times)

Offline Reason

how to pull out keycap without using a keycap puller?
« on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 13:17:37 »
I just got a new keyboard from ebay
and I want to take off a keycap to check the switch
but I don't have a keycap puller thingy..
and I'm kinda scared to pull it out forcefully and break something
what can I use to pull they keycap out?

Offline onesie

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 13:20:12 »
probably not the best way to do it but i use a flat head screwdriver and my fingers
Ducky 1087-brown/blue mix, Cherry Clears, mx11800 with ergo clears

Offline weipim

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 13:20:28 »
I guess you have.... FINGERSSSS!!! it's easier to take them out with your fingers on abs keys than on pbt/ pom.

you can also use the strip to attach the usb cable. just surround the keycap and pop it out

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 13:22:48 »
I've had great luck using two credit cards, or the like. Just wedge them underneath opposite corners of the key, and use the leverage to pop the key off.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 13:23:38 »
You could do it with a paper clip (probably wouldn't work with the small ones) couldn't you? Just by bending it so it has a flat edge you could put under the key and hold both ends while pulling up gently, or just do that with 2 paper clips which essentially mimics some key pullers.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 July 2011, 13:28:47 by Bucky »

Offline Reason

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 13:24:21 »
I looked at the wiki and I tried the two paper clip method and it worked Great!!! :D

Offline ichitz

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 14:25:51 »
i just bend some spare wires i had lying around. Or those free wire cable ties that comes with electronics.

Offline Magna224

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 14:43:43 »
Should post pics =P
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 16:03:40 »
Like someone else has said, using a pci slot cover type thing works great. I even open "impossible to open without breaking" space invader switches with complete success using it.

It really isn't all that hard.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline rodya

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 21:08:22 »
Well don't leave us hanging, what switch is it??!?  Oh god the suspense!!

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 21:58:55 »
I used to do it with a multitool before I got key pullers. Much faster with a key puller.

Keyboardless

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 22:08:24 »
Eh, I'm not impressed with those keypullers.

I can take 2 buckling spring keys off at once with what I use. It also lets me customize my approach for the type of key I'm messing with.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 22:13:56 »
PCI slot cover probably does a better job than my multitool. The multitool was easier to get to since it's usually in my pocket.
Keyboardless

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 23:21:49 »
Ever since I started using it (it's actually from one of those things that allow you to supply usb ports from the mobo to the back, because the actual ones that come with cases are paper thin now.) it's been sitting on my desk. That's pretty easy to get to as well.

Offline zerosxl

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 00:43:00 »
wait sorry I have some what of a related question.
is it bad to remove key caps too much? i remember on my friends steelseries 7g he used to play around with the keys and now some of them slide off rather easily >.>

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 00:46:53 »
flathead screwdriver with electrical tape on it to prevent scratching.

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 00:59:32 »
If you just want to remove one key grab all four sides of the esc with your fingers and wiggle a little while pulling gently...no need for tools.
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 01:20:31 »
Quote from: Zhuni;375192
If you just want to remove one key grab all four sides of the esc with your fingers and wiggle a little while pulling gently...no need for tools.

I'd like to see that. I tried that once, and it seemed like I was going to rip the switch out. I know what that looks like because I've done it before.

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 01:45:25 »
I've always found it easy. Never need much pressure, just used the tips of my fingers and braced them against the casing around the key so mostly upward pressure can be applied, then sort of rotate you hands so they'll start pronate and end up supinate.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2011, 01:53:15 by Zhuni »
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 04:25:33 »
Quote from: zerosxl;375181
wait sorry I have some what of a related question.
is it bad to remove key caps too much? i remember on my friends steelseries 7g he used to play around with the keys and now some of them slide off rather easily >.>

That's why I wouldn't overdo it. Eventually, all things wear. I've had similar problems with two-piece Model M keycaps. Nowadays I tend to avoid pulling keycaps except when giving a board a thorough cleanup, which usually is when I get it and does not need to be repeated for more than a year.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline slueth

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 04:43:56 »
two credit cards to leverage em out.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 05:05:12 »
You can take a look at The CACTUX PULLER
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline JBert

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 17:15:08 »
I use a piece of string in which I've made two loops, then use some non-scratching material like a popsicle stick to get the loops under a key.

It goes slow but works wonders on larger keys where you can't use your metal wire puller.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline ichitz

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 21:04:39 »
This is what i used. Bent some extra wires leftover from sculpting. Took a minute to bend and gets the job done.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 22:26:20 »
I've pulled maybe 300 caps with 2 big paperclips. Didn't mod them or bend them at all. Just stick each one down the side, then slide it over each corner and pull up simultaneously. Super easy.

That being said I just ordered a filco key puller from a member on here since I plan on doing this a lot it makes sense.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline theferenc

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 July 2011, 22:53:12 »
On the kinesis, pulling off the 1 key is really easy with your fingers. Actually, most of them are pretty easy with just your fingers. That's the only Cherry MX switch based keyboard I have at the moment, so I can't say about others.

Buckling springs, I use the back of a box opener (the flat slider kind), and just go right down the row. I only ever pull them when I'm bolt modding or cleaning, though, so it's usually an all or nothing kinda deal.

With ALPS, I use a jewelers screwdriver, and leverage up under the key onto the top of the switch housing -- small lift, and the cap pops right off. Once I figured that out, I've never had an issue pulling ALPS keys any more. I tried my wire key pulled, snapped the stem right off, pulling straight up. ALPS do NOT like to be pulled up.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline Thorn_Ike

Re: how to pull out keycap without using a keycap puller?
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 22:43:30 »
I use 2 pennies. Wedge them between the sides, then pull upwards. It may take some work but keep with it.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 22:50:44 »
I use 2 pennies. Wedge them between the sides, then pull upwards. It may take some work but keep with it.

...You do realized this was posted 7 years ago, right?

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 02:30:19 »
If u own even a single mechanical board it's worth it to get a dedicated  cap puller. Even just to clean the plate underneath periodically. There are two hooks that can be manipulated to remove any cap. The included plastic puller are carp and break after 2 or3 uses.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 09:39:16 »
Pointed tweezers work for me. Keep them open so you lift both sides at the same time. Pointed so you have room between caps.

Although I have a dozen keycap pullers, for some reason I can't find any when I just need to lift a cap or two. Frustrating :P
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 July 2018, 09:41:04 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 11:03:46 »
it is worth making one at zero cost
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ag36

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:46:37 »
I use paracords, at least it worked on my cracked alps spacebar which I can't use wire puller on.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• Formerly Row009 and StarCraftII
  • I have hands
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 07:09:05 »
I have several keycap pullers, but at one point when I didn't have the right fit (no wired puller) for the Esc which I wanted to replace - I took a piece of thread, made two loops hooked them on each side of the keycap, balanced the keycap with my finger to prevent unnecessary lateral force and pulled up.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 07:40:01 »
So much great advice... Meanwhile OP hasn't posted since April 2013. I hope he or she is still out there somewhere. Lol.

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• Formerly Row009 and StarCraftII
  • I have hands
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 10:40:34 »
So much great advice... Meanwhile OP hasn't posted since April 2013. I hope he or she is still out there somewhere. Lol.

True  :)), But as with any forum thread - it isn't just about the OP, many people come to these threads from search engines... Sometimes many years later (which is yet another issue... Outdated info etc.).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 20:53:17 »
I had no idea this thread existed. Inspired me to make a keypuller from some apoxie sculpt. I had some left over from a home improvement project, and couldn't make a keycap with the stuff so why not toss some wire in it and see how it works as a keypuller. Seems as though it functions as intended (should have spent more time with shaping and smoothing).

edit - kinda just looks like a lump of clay in the picture. So here's a crappy cell camera video

Not a valid vimeo URL
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 July 2018, 23:40:27 by csmertx »