Author Topic: Gray and black Model M  (Read 5201 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Gray and black Model M
« on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 01:12:57 »
Check it

A little pricey for a full-sized Model M...but the unique color looks pretty slick.  Would be a nice 'board to add to the collection.  (hopefully someone here get its)  :)

Offline andb

Grey Industrial IBM M type - 1390655. Ending soon!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 01:20:02 »
There's an industrial m type for sale on ebay, watch out its ending today. I've bought from the seller before, in fact the M I'm currently using is from him (1391401, 1989, $40 w/o shipping, in great condition).  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290276407116

You can find examples of these which have already sold for comparison at clickykeyboards: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/9523

In the past I would have bought it, Ive always wanted one of these... but I'm more interested in trying some other types of boards for now. I hope someone here can grab it.

Offline iMav

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 01:23:30 »
Merged.

Offline victheslik

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 01:35:01 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:22:19 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline andb

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 01:54:14 »
Quote from: victheslik;12332
Yeah I am currently the winning bidder on that thing..... Hopefully everything goes in my favor...

I would have happily gone to a pretty high price just a few months ago on this. In fact I was thinking about it until this morning, when I decided to post about it here instead of buying it myself. The industrial model is really rare, I would have easily offered double. I don't think its even documented in wikipedia, which is a pretty detailed reference.

Im not sure how "honorable" people are here, but it would be great to discuss these things to keep from overpaying, as I suspect members here often bid on the same thing. However, sometimes it might be better to keep quiet and hope others don't find that rare jewel you're bidding on :)

Offline lowpoly

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 02:39:59 »
Quote from: victheslic
Yeah I am currently the winning bidder on that thing..... Hopefully everything goes in my favor...
Haven't you been the winning bidder before and didn't win at the end? You're only driving the price high if you try to stay on top while the auction has some time to go. It's all about the last seconds.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline victheslik

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 02:55:43 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:22:16 by victheslik »
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline iMav

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 04:19:23 »
Quote from: lowpoly;12338
Haven't you been the winning bidder before and didn't win at the end? You're only driving the price high if you try to stay on top while the auction has some time to go. It's all about the last seconds.

There has never been anything on eBay that I HAD to have so badly that I was willing to monitor close enough to try and snipe at the end.

My philosophy is to put in a max bid at the max price I am willing to pay.  If someone snags it from me, then they obviously valued the item more than I.

Another thing I do is to shotgun under value bids on items I'd like to have, but don't care all that much about (typically items that I already have multiples of and that are offered in quantity on eBay).  I have snagged several items that slipped through the cracks at significantly less than typical value.

Offline lowpoly

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 05:14:58 »
Bidding early increases the chance that someone else rethinks his maximum. If you're the only early bidder no problem. If there are two of you, someone will find the other's max bid. Then the non-winning bidder may rethink his maximum. And that's where you either pay too much or lose.

But then, I'm not relaxed as you are. Sometimes I have to have something.

And I missed a few auctions because I forgot about them. Any recommendations for a good sniper software?

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 08:46:09 »
The only tactic I use is sniping.  I find when I set my max price, someone will beat me for something like a dollar.

Offline victheslik

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 11:33:27 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:22:13 by victheslik »

Offline iMav

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 19:11:21 »
victheslik, did you survive the snipping???

Offline itlnstln

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 23:00:44 »
Quote from: iMav;12428
victheslik, did you survive the snipping???

If the average Jewish boy (and many other boys) can survive the snipping, I'm sure vic is OK.  I'm sure he would rather be be sniping, though. ;)

Offline iMav

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 November 2008, 01:46:19 »
:)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Gray and black Model M
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 November 2008, 06:24:13 »
Although, there's a movement to ban said snipping, and apparently (according to one page on said movement,) there's a movement within the Jewish community to not snip.

Offline victheslik

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 November 2008, 18:26:33 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:22:09 by victheslik »

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Gray and black Model M
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 November 2008, 19:02:37 »
There's a reason jBidWatcher exists. :)

Offline victheslik

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 November 2008, 00:33:18 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:22:05 by victheslik »

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Gray and black Model M
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 November 2008, 05:55:43 »
Yeah, it makes a whole lot more sense than trying to snipe manually. ;)

(Although, I have gotten 2 second snipes in manually, and once got a 4 second snipe in on a cell phone without even trying (the auction had well over a minute left when I got to the item, but Opera Mini back then was tempermental, and didn't want to log in to eBay quickly. :p))

Offline iMav

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 November 2008, 07:30:38 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;12634
There's a reason jBidWatcher exists. :)

I use two-factor authentication for both my paypal and ebay logins...so automated tools such as jBidWatcher are useless to me.

I used paypal too much to rely on a static password.  Token was cheap and, since eBay owns paypal, it was easy to convert my eBay account to use it as well.

Offline andb

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 01 December 2008, 22:43:30 »
iMav, just thinking - if you wanted to snipe, why not just set up a 2nd account for this with only a password, so you could use jbidwatcher?

bhtooefr, about last second snipes, Ive read a lot of issues with ebay time, that jbidwatcher doesn't always handle it correctly. The simple, though less than ideal solution is to snipe 30-45 seconds before the end on items you really want.

Offline andb

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 06:06:59 »
I just came across another of these at http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9523/subcatid/0/id/381273. I suspected it to be the same one, but the manufacture dates are different. The ebay buyer got a "good" price, this one is 50% more! Amazing what people will pay for a color.

Offline wellington1869

Gray and black Model M
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 06:37:29 »
Quote from: andb;14719
I just came across another of these at http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9523/subcatid/0/id/381273. I suspected it to be the same one, but the manufacture dates are different. The ebay buyer got a "good" price, this one is 50% more! Amazing what people will pay for a color.

thats a neat color, quite a novelty. (Tho I think I could reproduce that color with a $1 box of RITT (as discussed elsewhere on the forum recently). How much is it, btw? I didnt see a price. (update: nevermind! $325!! I'll stick with RITT.)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3