Author Topic: xsphat's keyboard blowout  (Read 6141 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
xsphat's keyboard blowout
« on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 01:20:51 »
Here

There are a bunch of 'boards, but the one you'll all care about is the Model M mini at the bottom of the page. If a geekhacker buys it, I'll throw in the PS/2 to USB adapter I use with it. (I'm not psychic — PM me here if you win)

You might get that Dell AT101 for next to nothing.

And for you ergo nuts, there's a MicroSoft Natural Elite.

The NMB is a membrane but it types really nice and sounds and nearly feels like Alps blacks. I would keep it if it didn't have a number pad.

Happy bidding.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 01:22:10 »
Also, I will ship to geekhackers anywhere on Earth so long as you pay actual shipping.

Offline cmr

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 02:11:56 »
i don't use ebay due to their terrifying concessions to the church of scientology (direct database access? no thanks), but if you are willing to cancel the auction on the AT101W i'll offer $20 plus shipping.

Offline lam47

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 05:45:22 »
Quote from: cmr;18669
i don't use ebay due to their terrifying concessions to the church of scientology (direct database access? no thanks), but if you are willing to cancel the auction on the AT101W i'll offer $20 plus shipping.

What the ****? Can you explain a bit more?
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 08:23:30 »
While I whole-heartedly dislike the CoS, this is no different than eBay honoring/allowing deletions for fake Louis Vuitton handbags and other fake designer apparrel.  There is nothing in these posts that is out of the ordinary for any manufacturer on eBay.  I also do not see anything in either post that would suggest (with cold, hard evidence) that the CoS has any direct access to eBay's dbs, or at least any more than any other manufacturer.  An editorial and an anonymous post does not a case make.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 12:07:09 »
Yeah, I don't think they are looking me up. This is more paranoid BS (not buckling springs) and another thing — I'm not rich so they aren't going to get any money from me. CoS doesn't have access to my PayPal or my member info because I have never sold nor bought an e-meter, nor will I ever.

This is yet another thing that doesn't effect me, except that conspiracy theorists won't buy my wares off eBay.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 12:11:47 »
When I was in college at UT Austin, there was, and still is, a CoS recruitment center right next to campus.  A buddy of mine and I decided to go in and check it out.  We ended up taking this survey that was essentially an intelligence test (similar to something you would see for a Mensa test), and after answering the questions a certain way (i.e. doing very well on the intelligence test), we were quickly ushered out of the office.  Of course, not after offering to sell some of their literature. :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 12:15:26 »
So are you saying you're too smart for Cos? I think all religions would be like that if they could.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 12:22:27 »
Quote from: xsphat;18758
So are you saying you're too smart for Cos? I think all religions would be like that if they could.

In so many words, probably.  They wouldn't say anything about what happened, so it's just speculation.  I, personally, am non-religious.  I would probably consider myself agnostic on my more religious days and atheist on my least.  I love to study religion as part of the study of people, but I do not practice it myself.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 12:51:46 »
Quote from: xsphat;18758
I think all religions would be like that if they could.

some more than others though, I think.

like intl, I'm an agnostic too, btw.  Though I'm fascinated by religion as a sociological phenomenon.

I do think its pretty lame of ebay to bend over for CoS though.  Seems very lazy of them.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 12:53:40 »
Remember, Einstein was very religious, as well as Copernicous, DaVinci, et. al.  Richard Dawkins, on the other hand, not so much.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 13:02:23 »
Einstein? He thought the electricity in the body returned to the Earth at death, but he wasn't religious outside that AFAIK, and I have read him.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 13:10:15 »
Quote from: xsphat;18775
Einstein? He thought the electricity in the body returned to the Earth at death, but he wasn't religious outside that AFAIK, and I have read him.

einstein and religion -this is debated to death, from what i've seen. Various sides quote various things by him to try to prove that he was or wasnt religious. My own sense is that he was religious in a broad "deistic" sense (like many of the early enlightenment thinkers, or like Spinoza) but (also like them) did not believe in organized religion and was generally very suspicious of organized religion. This is also a position most of the physicists of his era held (Neils Bohr for instance, IIRC, had similar views). It allowed them to reconcile their understanding of the holistic universe with a holistic god who was no more or less remote (and no more or less awesome) than the holistic universe they were studying.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 13:47:32 »
A friend of mine used to belong to a Lutheran Church, I say used to because one day they called her up and said they saw she got a raise the year previous and they thought she could be giving more to the church then she had been. She promptly hung up on them and they called saying she owed them money for a couple weeks until she threatened them with a harassment law suite.  Organized religion is about keeping fear in people in order to get more money out them. Maybe Einstein was smart (...) by not letting anyone know his true feelings on the matter.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 15:17:04 »
Quote from: xsphat;18779
A friend of mine used to belong to a Lutheran Church, I say used to because one day they called her up and said they saw she got a raise the year previous and they thought she could be giving more to the church then she had been. .

oh my god thats the most obnoxious thing i've ever heard!   I would have left them too.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 15:41:10 »
I'd do one better — I'd rather die than set foot in the place.

Offline cmr

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 16:20:31 »
i so did not mean to start a holy war in this thread

SORRY GUYS

Offline FunkTrooper

• http://funktrooper.t35.com/
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 16:23:36 »
Oh wow I love this forum. We went from xsphat selling his keyboards to eBay, to Scientologists ("sci***s" ^_^), to religion in general. And we're only on the *second* page!

So anyway, it's quite the coincidence that last night I watched Bill Maher's "Religulous".  He didn't really say an awful lot (except till the end), he just went around talking to people about their weird religious delusions.  It was quite interesting, though some of the interviews did seem a tad too edited and cut short in places.  It is, however, worth watching just to see the Israel Science and Technology Centre, where they create gadgets that allow very strict Jews to technically not work on the Sabbath.  From the timed light switches that turn themselves on to the phone that dials itself and the air pressured wheel chair, they have it!  Oh it was so brilliantly absurd.  I lolled hard.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 16:31:09 »

i so did not mean to start a holy war in this thread

lol, doesnt take much ;)

Quote from: FunkTrooper;18801

So anyway, it's quite the coincidence that last night I watched Bill Maher's "Religulous".  .

I saw that, it was pretty funny ;)

one thing that I noticed that I think most people didnt realize, remember when he was interviewing that islamic mullah in europe somewhere, one who had said some pretty scary things, but when Bill asked him about it, he's all like 'oh we're all for peace and we're moderates' and other b*llsh*t and etc, and then his phone rings, and his ringtone is playing Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir"?  And Bill even comments on that to the camera, he cant believe the mullah's ringtone is playing Led Zeppelin and he thinks thats pretty funny.

well, you know why it was playing "Kashmir", right? There's a huge jihad going on there right now. "We're all moderates" my fat ass.  I think most people in the audience thought it was funny that his ringtone was led zeppelin, but I dont think most people in the audience picked up on why it was playing "kashmir".

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 19:10:39 »
Quote from: Einstein
   "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

"I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

Einstein was not a Christian, but he certainly wasn't an Atheist.  Perhaps a curious Deist?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 19:18:21 »
which keyboard would Einstein choose?

Offline lexicon

• http://www.word-detective.com
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 01:13:09 »
A lot of stoves sold in the US right now have what's called "Sabbath Mode," which allows the observant to program the oven 24 hrs ahead so the owner won't have to break religious laws by fiddling with dials and actually turning it on during a period when operating machinery is forbidden.

This would, of course, tend to imply that the relevant deity is either very dim or has a great sense of humor.
IBM Model M 1391401 (1989)
IBM Model M 52G9658 (1993) x2
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black)
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (way too many)
Dell AT101W (black)
Silicon Graphics AT-101 (1993)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 01:21:33 »
I was Catholic until I found out there is more to life than fear. I was 8.

Offline dougy

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 06:47:04 »
I've done some hospice volunteering over the years. Probably a majority of the people I've sat with considered themselves atheist. Amazing though that as they near the end the one book they ask to be read is the Bible.....

For myself the answers are simple and straightforward, but everyone has to make their own choice, and that choice is personal.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 January 2009, 11:54:55 »
Quote from: dougy;18902
I've done some hospice volunteering over the years. Probably a majority of the people I've sat with considered themselves atheist. Amazing though that as they near the end the one book they ask to be read is the Bible.....

For myself the answers are simple and straightforward, but everyone has to make their own choice, and that choice is personal.

yea, insofar as religion is about making peace with death, everyone's going to do that in their own way.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 January 2009, 23:56:56 »
Roughly an hour to go on this stuff, so if you want anything you might want to check it out.

Offline lexicon

• http://www.word-detective.com
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 January 2009, 01:29:33 »
Oh, you mean the auctions.  I thought we were talking about the choir invisible.  Pining for the fjords, etc.

Hmm.  So, that has some religious significance to you?  To each his own...
IBM Model M 1391401 (1989)
IBM Model M 52G9658 (1993) x2
Unicomp Customizer 101 (black)
Solidtek ASK-6600U
Dell AT101W (way too many)
Dell AT101W (black)
Silicon Graphics AT-101 (1993)
Cherry G84-4100

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 January 2009, 01:48:24 »
Times up! No more religion!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 January 2009, 06:56:19 »
I thought we were talking about the choir invisible. Pining for the fjords, etc.

There are auctions for dead parrots?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 27 January 2009, 21:06:10 »
Thank you to the Geekhacksters who helped me out on this eBay blowout either by bidding to get the ball rolling or buying keyboards from me. This went well — better than I expected in fact — I'm down to one keyboard! Who else here can say that?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 27 January 2009, 21:31:11 »
Quote from: xsphat;19957
Thank you to the Geekhacksters who helped me out on this eBay blowout either by bidding to get the ball rolling or buying keyboards from me. This went well — better than I expected in fact — I'm down to one keyboard! Who else here can say that?

you're down to one keyboard -- for now. ;)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 January 2009, 21:31:49 »
How many keyboards does your wife have now, so that you can say you only have one keyboard? :p

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 January 2009, 21:49:36 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19959
How many keyboards does your wife have now, so that you can say you only have one keyboard? :p

Nice. She has one keyboard, the same one she's used for over a year — A DSI SMK88 with black Cherry switches.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 27 January 2009, 21:55:27 »
Wow. :eek:

Offline lal

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 28 January 2009, 03:26:51 »
Damn, I've been Rickrolled!
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 28 January 2009, 03:43:52 »
Quote from: lal;19983
Damn, I've been Rickrolled!

lol