Author Topic: IBM Model F 122 Key $185  (Read 2611 times)

Offline 127001

IBM Model F 122 Key $185
« on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 13:08:58 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181266908935

Not a to die for price but consistent with what they've been costing. The seller is a good guy, got stuff from him before.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: IBM Model F 122 Key $185
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 13:20:40 »
The seller is a GH'er, for what it's worth.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 16:42:45 »
The seller drives a hard bargain, too.  I got an auto reject with a $155 bid.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 17:15:54 »
I have bought keyboards from h2gofast. He is knowledgeable and experienced and knows what they are worth. Don't insult him.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 18:52:20 »
He's selling things for what they are worth. He's not the place to go to get a deal. He's the place to go if you want the products he is selling and you want to know that everything is just as described and you are willing to pay market value.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:40:42 »
He's the place to go if you want the products he is selling and you want to know that everything is just as described and you are willing to pay market value.
And also working. He tests the F 122's with a soarer converter to make sure they work. When I first saw his listings I was surprised a ebay seller had heard of such things. I haven't seen a 122 key model F keyboard show up in my price range in quite a while. This is a good find.

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 23:15:35 »
I was really lucky to find mine at a great price. The secret to getting cheap things is persistence. And asking everyone who could potentially help. But that's also risky as the condition is usually unknown. I got lucky and one was pristine, the other was used with a couple lame buckling springs and was a bit dirty.

I'm sure he is the type of person most of us here are. He finds something cool and gets involved in it so he knows what he is working with.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 07:22:42 »
2-3 years ago (before Soarer's Converter) these were readily available on ebay and sold for $30-35 because nobody wanted them, or, at least, very few people were willing to make the effort that it took to make them useable.

Now that some of us have found simple direct methods to make them work the way we want, the landscape has changed.

In the past year or so, weeks (or even months) have gone by between seeing them go up for sale on ebay, and they usually sell in the mid-$100 range, plus or minus tens of dollars, but this is variable and unpredictable.

The thing about ebay is that you never know when a seller will have a strange item that he does not know with, and sells it off far too cheap.

It happens every day, and somebody gets lucky. Is it worth waiting a year to save $100? You decide.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline h2gofast

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 07:09:08 »
I'm trying to raise funds for a vintage Mercx this spring, so I am open to offers on any of the keyboards.  Feel free to make an offer via PM here on geekhack.    I try to login at least once a week

Ebay is getting to be more hassle than it's worth.  It seems like every other buyer buys and takes shipment without reading the listing.  I had to stop accepting ebay returns because of it.  Of course if someone buys through geekhack, it's  a different story, but sheesh, you wouldn't believe how many people don't read the ads.     

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 07:56:48 »
What's so hard to read about the ads? If it is working 'with soarer's converter', presumably the buyer should buy it with soarer's converter. If it is described as 'working' and you don't mention 'soarer's converter', that's another story.

If you don't want the hassle of ebay returns it might help to explicitly says 'works only with soarer's converter'. 'Will not work without a special adapter that you must get from PJRC.com'. Since you are doing fixed price buyitnow, it won't harm you to say negative things about your keyboard. That way it weeds out overly optimistic buyers who think they can just plug it into the usb port.

Lots of kids nowadays, they grew up with USB, they can't imagine a day when things were not plug and play.

I'm trying to raise funds for a vintage Mercx this spring, so I am open to offers on any of the keyboards.  Feel free to make an offer via PM here on geekhack.    I try to login at least once a week

Ebay is getting to be more hassle than it's worth.  It seems like every other buyer buys and takes shipment without reading the listing.  I had to stop accepting ebay returns because of it.  Of course if someone buys through geekhack, it's  a different story, but sheesh, you wouldn't believe how many people don't read the ads.   
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 09:32:27 »
It seems like every other buyer buys and takes shipment without reading the listing.

At a top-shelf price point for a specialty item, I would have guessed that all your buyers understood exactly what they were getting.

If you are talking about ancient IBM iron, then that is a rather rarefied marketplace.

What were the reasons for the returns? I am curious.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 11:44:34 »

Why not just a make a listing here and give the boot to Ebay?  I am sure you could find a willing buyer without the hassle of Ebay.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 12:14:36 »
Why not just a make a listing here and give the boot to Ebay?  I am sure you could find a willing buyer without the hassle of Ebay.

Because you can usually get a much better price on ebay.

Geekhack buyers are often cheap.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 14:18:28 »
If ebay is better, then list on ebay. I see no reason why one should feel obliged to sell to fellow geekhackers. Your reverse auction format makes perfect sense.

Because you can usually get a much better price on ebay.

Geekhack buyers are often cheap.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.