Author Topic: Another IBM SSK  (Read 15703 times)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Re: Another IBM SSK
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:26:15 »
Back to 586

When keeping it real goes wrong.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:34:23 »
Thats just mind boggling how it went close to 10k, back down to 586 because of 2 people bidding. Were they both bunk bidders? How in the hell... lol.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:41:09 »
so harryM - what happened, bro?

Offline harryM

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:45:38 »
Thats just mind boggling how it went close to 10k, back down to 586 because of 2 people bidding. Were they both bunk bidders? How in the hell... lol.

As this board is Virgin, it is very desirable. I am unsure whether to contact the seller and make an offer due to the shrill bidder.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:46:12 »

I don't like to assume shill bidding, but you never know sometimes. Either eBay cancelled the bids for some reason, or someone pulled back their bids due to an "error", also known as a lapse in judgement.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:50:58 »
Well, the sellers name is on the money

'Rayp999' (r a p e)

Offline harryM

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:53:45 »
Show Image

I don't like to assume shill bidding, but you never know sometimes. Either eBay cancelled the bids for some reason, or someone pulled back their bids due to an "error", also known as a lapse in judgement.

Whilst my maximum price was not reached, an offer to the seller now could seal a price much lower than lets say, a second chance offer at the end.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:58:35 »
Well, the sellers name is on the money

'Rayp999' (r a p e)

So I didn't see the bidding happen, so I'm only assuming here. But my bet is that Daddy Warbucks here has a very high bid entered and someone else decided to test the waters to see how high that bid goes? And that shill bidder, whom we'll call "Anne" quickly retracted their bids.

I'm going to just grab some popcorn and see how this one plays out.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 06:16:49 »
Alright, who's the joker here?  Currently at $666.66.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 07:18:31 »
Both shill bids were made within a minute of each other:

r***2 ( private ) Retracted: US $9,777.00  Bid: Feb-08-14 02:00:43 PST Retracted: Feb-08-14 02:14:09 PST

f***d ( 118     ) Retracted: US $9,999.00  Bid: Feb-08-14 01:59:51 PST Retracted: Feb-08-14 02:11:51 PST

And both were retracted about ten minutes later within a few minutes of each other.  Doubt the seller is that quick.  We know that ebay wouldn't do a thing.

Both were from bidders who previously had bid on German items.

The one with the private rating has 3 bid retractions in the past six months and not much else.  The other bids on computer equipment, almost exclusively keyboards - he may have been the winner of one of the recent ssk and industrial auctions that went to German winners.

They're obviously the same person.

And now that they exposed what the real highest bidder's high bid was, someone came along as a wiseass and bid $656.66, knowing full well someone had a higher bid in and it would autobid to $666.66.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline harryM

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 07:37:06 »
This board is perfect with the date of manufacture matching my sons birthday. My bid will be placed at the end.

Me and my partner have been saving for a deposit on a house, however I am sure she will understand the importance and rarity of this purchase.

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 07:41:36 by harryM »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 10:47:33 »
I am sure she will understand the importance and rarity of this purchase.

I am not too sure you understand women... :P

Offline intelli78

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:11:50 »
Hello

As a serious keyboard collector, I can assure you that this SSK will belong to me at the end of the auction. It is unfortunate, though not a surprise that this specimen has appeared here hence my posting today.

Therefore I warn potential purchasers: This model is much more desirable to me than the other SSK I previously won, and I am looking for another on the go (to save my fingers from my dissatisfying laptop keyboard).

Whilst I am not a fan of people bidding early, my bid should neutralise any shrills. To those people I warn, you may be wasting your time. I believe this keyboard is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

I will post pictures on receipt of the keyboard.

I must warn you that I am prepared to bid $1,0000,0000 for this keyboard. As we speak, my assistant curator is preparing to receive the specimen for inclusion in the basement level exhibit of my private keyboard museum. I already have a pallet of virgin SSK's, but I am bidding on this one just so you can't have it. Prepare for your destiny.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Laser

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:13:51 »
So, is it a trick to scare people from bidding, knowing that there is someone who (hypothetically) can bid large amounts of money?

Offline harryM

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:28:33 »
I must warn you that I am prepared to bid $1,0000,0000 for this keyboard. As we speak, my assistant curator is preparing to receive the specimen for inclusion in the basement level exhibit of my private keyboard museum. I already have a pallet of virgin SSK's, but I am bidding on this one just so you can't have it. Prepare for your destiny.

:p

In all seriousness though, I will be winning this item  :thumb:

Offline harryM

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:01:03 »
So, is it a trick to scare people from bidding, knowing that there is someone who (hypothetically) can bid large amounts of money?

If someone bid $800 and it went for $2K I doubt they would feel like they just missed out. I can see retracted bids from shrills putting people off, it would be interesting to know if their are any other serious collectors bidding on this piece. I assume there are.

I am not too sure you understand women... :P

:)) I'm sure she won't mind  ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:10:49 by harryM »

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:06:36 »
Harry, it looks like you got the other Industrial SSK that was pulled out of a mechanic's shop and was very dirty. Post some pics of that clean board in the SSK thread if you will. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34712.90
SSKs for everyone!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:12:14 »
Harry, it looks like you got the other Industrial SSK that was pulled out of a mechanic's shop and was very dirty. Post some pics of that clean board in the SSK thread if you will. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34712.90

Yes!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:12:49 »

+1

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 14:15:53 »
I'm preparing for a $1,500 snipe
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 14:19:27 »
You guys should work something out in private so that you don't just hurt each other needlessly while lining the pockets of a stranger.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 01:00:29 »
lel, 1,133.11 usd

Offline intelli78

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 01:11:18 »
lel, 1,133.11 usd

:-X

Prediction: a lot more of these are gonna come out of the woodwork in the next 2-3 weeks.

Re: final price. With people telegraphing their intentions, I will not be surprised to see trolls shilling the bid up to many thousands of dollars. Good chance the sale will be made as a private, second-chance type of deal. We shall see I suppose

Offline harryM

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 08:47:32 »

Prediction: a lot more of these are gonna come out of the woodwork in the next 2-3 weeks.

Re: final price. With people telegraphing their intentions, I will not be surprised to see trolls shilling the bid up to many thousands of dollars. Good chance the sale will be made as a private, second-chance type of deal. We shall see I suppose

a 15K bid at the end will seal the deal for what the person before me was willing to pay. If it goes above 15K then I am happy to let it slip as I have quite the collection already.

Offline harryM

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 08:50:17 »

Yes!

I shall post pictures when I get back from work  :D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 11:52:15 »

a 15K bid at the end will seal the deal for what the person before me was willing to pay. If it goes above 15K then I am happy to let it slip as I have quite the collection already.

You mean the same as how you, out of the numerous that messaged the guy, somehow talked the guy selling 30 model Ms in bulk to sell you only one for $100 when he refused earlier in the week to sell all 5 for $750?  Hm.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 11:56:03 »
Right, fifteen thousand dollars--I can totally see you or anyone else spending that much on a keyboard...  Along with the other eBay thread, this reads very much like trolling.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline harryM

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:34:28 »
Right, fifteen thousand dollars--I can totally see you or anyone else spending that much on a keyboard...  Along with the other eBay thread, this reads very much like trolling.

What do you believe this SSK to be worth?

Offline daetsid

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:39:03 »

What do you believe this SSK to be worth?

15k to you, right? : >

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:44:47 »
$600-$800 at the most.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 13:31:13 »
I'm gonna paint an SSK gray and see what I can get for it after this show.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 13:33:15 »
Don't forget to print out an appropriate label for the back. ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:15:22 »
it has the industrial case and is pretty much new

Offline intelli78

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:29:47 »
Thanks for merging my thread, Photoelectric. Knew these boards were scarcer but didn't know what a premium that scarcity commanded.

So industrials are different aesthetically but not functionally?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:31:27 »
Thanks for merging my thread, Photoelectric. Knew these boards were scarcer but didn't know what a premium that scarcity commanded.

So industrials are different aesthetically but not functionally?

Yup

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:33:48 »
...and I don't think any Industrial has ever sold for more than ~$800.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:35:31 »

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:37:37 »
Besides that one.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline harryM

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:39:16 »
Prices are on the rise. The build quality of these, well second to none. Even a modern mechanical keyboard isn't built to last with marketing people interfering and cost cutting etc. It makes no sense to make a keyboard to last forever, though the IBM was.

You can always take a model M and put key caps on it or spray it grey, or whatever... But it will never be of that original quality.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:45:59 by harryM »

Offline spuriousgeorge

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:40:38 »
You're right, harryM, their placebo is off the charts.  :D :D

Offline intelli78

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 14:41:47 »
Prices are on the rise.

Let's see pics of the last one!  :)

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 15:09:52 »
Code: [Select]
Bidder                                                                         Action                                                         Date of Bid and Retraction
j***c ( 66Feedback score is 50 to 99)                                                Retracted: US $14,000.00                                         Bid: Feb-09-14 09:56:40 PST
                                                                                                                                                        Retracted: Feb-09-14 10:05:04 PST

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 15:25:48 »
Apparently a lot of people feel the way that I do, in that the absence of the label is not a negative, and may be a plus.

Either badge or label seems fine on a standard M, but they just seem too big and awkward on the SSK.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline harryM

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 15:45:10 »
Bidder                                                                         Action                                                         Date of Bid and Retraction
j***c ( 66Feedback score is 50 to 99)                                                Retracted: US $14,000.00                                         Bid: Feb-09-14 09:56:40 PST

<sigh>

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 15:47:45 »

<sigh>

Maybe they meant to bid $1,400.00?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 16:11:07 »
Whatever happened to stealth and keeping your business on the down-low?