Author Topic: Keyboard Acquisition Syndrome  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Steven Tammen

Keyboard Acquisition Syndrome
« on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 00:06:03 »
Hello GH community!

I've been reading stuff now for like the last 40 hours straight about keyboards and it's been glorious. Specifically, I'm interested in split ergo models with staggered column layouts and thumb clusters. Unfortunately, they all seem to be unavailable for purchase at this time (Massdrop's ergodox/ergodox infinity) or under development (Axios, Keyboardio, the new Kinesis Advantage), and I'm afraid I might not be able to hold out...

I've also been concentrated on analyzing fully optimized keyboard layouts, and you can see my super long post essay on the topic at oneproduct's thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67604.0. I kinda necro'd it... but it's for the greater good ;D. Layout optimization, especially with Fn keys, dead keys, and multiple layers, has got to be one of the most addictive things I've ever gotten myself into, and I don't even have a keyboard with programmable firmware yet! If you're at all perfectionistic like me, don't look at it! It cannot be unseen.

Tell me, how do you people stop yourself from going after every reasonably attractive mechanical keyboard that finds you at a point of low self-control?
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 July 2015, 13:18:56 by Steven Tammen »

Offline fanpeople

Re: Keyboard Acquisition Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 00:25:38 »
G'day

Welcome to the forum

One acronym HHKB

All roads lead to HHKB, supplemented by Model M. Then you will have reached your destination

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 00:48:48 »
welcome!
just be wise with your money.
although that being said. its not easy...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 06:08:25 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The Ergo Dox comes up every now and again on Massdrop - very popular keyboard.

There's a thread here about the joys of an empty wallet (or something like that).  Well worth a read.

There's also this thread about dumb purchases ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 21:12:00 »
HHKB/RF 55g only boards you need
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.