Author Topic: Hi There!  (Read 1571 times)

Offline dr_habu

Hi There!
« on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:28:02 »
Hi!

I currently have a Cherry Stream XT keyboard. I've been using it for the last 3 years or so, but I decided to get a mechanical keyboard now.
I did my research, but I'm still not entirely sure which keyboard to get. Maybe I should build my own? Maybe get something that's readily available and customize it, or maybe try to get that one keyboard that seems perfect, but seems to be impossible to buy these days?

I'm sure this is the best place to find answers to all those questions!

Thanks for having me here!
 ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:27:54 by dr_habu »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hi There!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:01:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Buying something "readily" available and customising it is probably better (having glanced at your linked thread), but make sure you get a keyboard with a standard layout, otherwise you'll find that most keycap sets won't fit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:10:52 »
Wellcome to GH. Well if you got a deep pocket you could join some upcoming group buys of custom or just buy readily available stuff just like rowdy said, my preference for tkl is kul es-87 or the trusty filco or just pok3r

Offline dr_habu

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:01:22 »
I definitely don't have deep pockets, but even if I did I don't see much options for what I want. I had a tkl keyboard once, the form factor was great - using it with a mouse was a dream, but after I switched to a fullsize keyboard(my tkl died) I got addicted to the num pad, and that's great too, but I have a pretty limited space on my desk and it's kind of hard to use it with a mouse. I've discovered the 90% / TK compressed layout and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for, so that's what I decided to go for.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Buying something "readily" available and customising it is probably better (having glanced at your linked thread), but make sure you get a keyboard with a standard layout, otherwise you'll find that most keycap sets won't fit.

One of the keyboards that I'm looking at has the layout that I want(which is really rare), but it also uses standard key cap sizes!

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:17:38 »
I definitely don't have deep pockets, but even if I did I don't see much options for what I want. I had a tkl keyboard once, the form factor was great - using it with a mouse was a dream, but after I switched to a fullsize keyboard(my tkl died) I got addicted to the num pad, and that's great too, but I have a pretty limited space on my desk and it's kind of hard to use it with a mouse. I've discovered the 90% / TK compressed layout and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for, so that's what I decided to go for.

Welcome to Geekhack!

One of the keyboards that I'm looking at has the layout that I want(which is really rare), but it also uses standard key cap sizes!

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome guys! :D

If you like the full-size keyboard you should definitely look into a model M. The buckling springs feel and sound great and you can't beat the nostalgia.

Offline dr_habu

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 14:48:49 »
I have a full size keyboard now, and I can confidently say that I prefer the smaller form factors.
I used buckling spring keyboards in the past. I was typing very fast on them, but I think that the relatively long key travel annoyed me.

And honestly there are so many switch types to choose from now, that it would be a shame if I didn't try something new.

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:29:27 »
Welcome :)if you have the money/time/skills to build your own i would definitely recommend it. A really rewarding experience.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 22:53:52 »
I have a full size keyboard now, and I can confidently say that I prefer the smaller form factors.
I used buckling spring keyboards in the past. I was typing very fast on them, but I think that the relatively long key travel annoyed me.

And honestly there are so many switch types to choose from now, that it would be a shame if I didn't try something new.
With this being said about BS, I think you'd absolutely LOVE the logitech g710.  It's like the Razor you tried but not as muddy on the bottoming out and a slightly shorter travel and a crisper bump.  I think you'd absolutely love it.  :thumb: