Author Topic: Melvang's Custom Mouse Pads  (Read 67872 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Melvang's Custom Mouse Pads
« on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:37:31 »
Are you in the market for a custom mouse pad?  Do you need a specific size?  Well, so long as you are looking at a hard pad, no softies here, I can be of service.  I can make you a custom mouse pad if virtually any size you need.  These pieces are 6061 T6 aluminum sheet 1/8" thick by default, custom sizes to your dimensions, then sprayed with a Cerakote finish for maximum durability and minimum friction.  I have made of for Mstarr and he claims it to be the last mouse pad he will ever need to buy. 

Prices vary greatly based on size, but these do not come cheap.  The pad I built for Mstarr was 18" tall by 24" wide, this thing was MASSIVE, my cost to him was $250.  Though his pad does have some issues.  First and mostly, the majority of his mice do not track well on it.  I personally feel that it is due to a combination of the color and surface texture.  I am not sure why, but that particular color has a TON of texture in the finish.  Plus, I feel that it is just due to the color itself.  For future pads, all will be coated black and I will be speaking with the paint shop on what can be done to reduce the surface finish texture.  I know it can be brought down by orders of magnitude if this stuff is used on sliding parts in guns.

I am also experimenting with 4b sanitary finished 316 stainless.  I have a limited amount of stock already in possession.  This was already at the house when my wife and I moved in.  We inherited the house from her dad when he passed.  So, I believe these pieces are left over stock from a kitchen job he may have done.  Sizes for this will be more limited than what I can do with aluminum, but I have it on hand.

Custom shapes are also possible, need a corner cut out for keyboard clearance, no problem.  I can also do larger curves, such as some of the plastic ones were concave on the bottom edge for what ever reason.

All corners will be rounded, and all edges softened.

I have not done much experimenting with feet yet, but I will probably use something like the cork duct tape as it is relatively cheap and allows me me to do a stripe along the perimeter.  If you want something else, taller, or shorter please get in touch with me and we can discuss options.

Melvang

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2016, 22:16:44 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: Melvang's Custom Mouse Pads
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:47:12 »
Reserved.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 08:47:24 »
Reserved.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:19:05 »
Sounds pretty cool. Got any pictures to share with us?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:20:22 »
Sounds pretty cool. Got any pictures to share with us?

I do, I just wanted to get the thread up for now.  I will be getting some pics together.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:25:15 »
It would be helpful to have some generic sizes & price points, just for reference.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:38:34 »
It would be helpful to have some generic sizes & price points, just for reference.

Yeah, I realize this, the problem is the pricing for the Cerakote, I just get a ballpark figure until I actually get something painted there.  The pad I did for mstarr was $107 for the cerakote alone, but that was 3 square feet.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:45:45 »
I would love to see a picture of a completed one.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:48:32 »
I have made of for Mstarr and he claims it to be the last mouse pad he will ever need to buy. 

Prices vary greatly based on size, but these do not come cheap. this thing was MASSIVE, my cost to him was $250.  Though his pad does have some issues.

First and mostly, the majority of his mice do not track well on it.

I'm really confused...I'm paying $250 for a mousepad that doesn't let my mice track. But somehow this is the last mousepad I need?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:53:25 »
I was really excited about this, until I kept reading the OP. So it's a custom pad that may or may not work well and is expensive? Hmm...
Not trying to be mean or harsh; I guess I'm just hesitant, but would really like to have a custom mat made by a gh'er to go with the rest of my setup.

Do you know if the final product will track well? I have a Logitech G502, if that helps for consideration. Also, I too would like to see some sweet pics of final batches.  :thumb:

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 21:55:22 »
I have made of for Mstarr and he claims it to be the last mouse pad he will ever need to buy. 

Prices vary greatly based on size, but these do not come cheap. this thing was MASSIVE, my cost to him was $250.  Though his pad does have some issues.

I'm really confused...I'm paying $250 for a mousepad that doesn't let my mice track. But somehow this is the last mousepad I need?

Mstarr's mousepad is very large, had to buy a 24" square of aluminum, plus Cerakote, plus shipping.  He does have a mouse that tracks very nicely with it.  I believe he said it was his G502.  It was his cheaper mice that didn't track well.  Though I am sure I have the fixes for it.  Just need to get a couple made and tested.

I was really excited about this, until I kept reading the OP. So it's a custom pad that may or may not work well and is expensive? Hmm...
Not trying to be mean or harsh; I guess I'm just hesitant, but would really like to have a custom mat made by a gh'er to go with the rest of my setup.

Do you know if the final product will track well? I have a Logitech G502, if that helps for consideration. Also, I too would like to see some sweet pics of final batches.  :thumb:

I believe this to be the same mouse that Mstarr has said tracks well.  I am working out the kinks for it.  Like I just mentioned, need to get some prototypes made.  When I made that one, I was not aware of the potential issues, I figured that if mice can track on glass, they should be able to track about anything. Apparently I was wrong.  Either way, testing is going to be done.

Offline mstarr

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:30:32 »
The pad Melvang made for me is indeed my favorite pad.  I have 12 Artisan pads, Allsop, talent, Razor exact mat, used many others, and this is most definitely my favorite.  The low static friction with felt or regular skates is amazing -- very easy to make micro-corrections without over shooting the target.  There's enough kinetic friction to accurately trace targets.  From consistency alone, I can never go back to a softpad, it is extremely easy to keep this slab clean, but even when dirty, it feels fine.  The pad is also extremely durable -- I accidentally dropped a pistol slide from a few feet above and there was no mark, nor is there any wear after heavy use.  It does have a problem tracking on some mice, I'll have to go through all my mice to get a complete list.  The 3366 in the g502/303 works great, as well as a ****ty wireless microsoft mouse (wat).  I trust in Melvang to solve the tracking issues, perhaps with a fine mist of another colour during cerakote or some texture before the cerakote.  The problem is how perfectly homogeneous the pad is. 

I'm Global Elite in CS:GO, former 'pro' Tribes player, former CAL-Invite DoD:S, and a G502 on Melvang's slab is the best input I've ever used, it was well worth the money.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:36:56 by mstarr »

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:37:13 »
I would love to see a picture of a completed one.

I agree. Show us the goods yo.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:43:54 »

Offline mstarr

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:44:41 »

If you're using a ****ty sensor then you don't need a 250USD mousepad. :)  Melvang overstated how many mice I've tested, I've only tried a WMO, monoprice AM, and G502.  When I wake up I will test my other mice. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 February 2016, 22:47:29 by mstarr »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 23:56:12 »
I am going to have some test plates made up, and missalaire is going to test them for me, along with a couple others possibly.  Would anyone be interested in doing a tour type thing with them?  There will be 3, and dimensions will be 10x12x1/16.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 00:18:41 »
I want a full mousepad to cover my desk

This looks awesome!

Offline Bucake

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:58:36 »
first time i'm checking out the artisan section, so i had completely missed this thread this until now.

i'd love to have a pad like this, but good tracking is important to me. (games are played!)
and i'd gladly help test, but i believe you (@Melvang) are located in the USA, and the shipping cost to Europe would probably be quite nasty.

If you're using a ****ty sensor then you don't need a 250USD mousepad. :)  Melvang overstated how many mice I've tested, I've only tried a WMO, monoprice AM, and G502.  When I wake up I will test my other mice. 

that sounds rude?
two things: the G502 probably uses the very strongest sensor there is, currently. there are many strong sensors, but not all of them are as flexible as the 3360 when it comes to surface.
you could argue 'then just get a mouse with a 3360', but the thing is that your options are suddenly very limited. what if the shape of the G502 or G303 is not right for you..?

my point is that i think it's perfectly fine to not purchase a pad with uncertainty of your (optical) mouse tracking well on it.
i have a bunch of mice that perform incredibly well on certain surfaces, but quite poorly on others. would you really call them mice with ****ty sensors, just because they track poorly on certain surfaces..?
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 21:09:05 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 02:09:46 »
So, small update, i was contacted by a new member here for a comission for a mouse pad. He understands the issues I have had this far.  We chatted today for a bit and he is leaving the specific color up to me. It will be a share of black in the oven cured H series. As of right now I am leaning toward Graphite Black H-146Q.

This pad will also feature silicone "feet" on the bottom for sound deadining, vibration dampening, grip, and general feel, as well as a protectant for the desk surface.

More to come as it develops.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 02:22:54 »
this is really cool. I'd love to see some more pricing for custom sizes. that color is wonderful.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Conservative005

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 22:27:25 »
Hi Everyone,

Wanted to share some information as to Melvang's pads. 
I became a new member here as soon as I discovered this post.  I read all the Geekhack subjects, but never felt the need to post so I never became a member until now. I joined because I was looking for a XXL metal pad, but a nice handmade one created with good old-fashioned American craftsmanship, instead of a mass produced overseas cheap one that is small and probably scratch or become unusable in a short amount of time.  As soon as I saw this post, pictures of Melving's work, and the review by MSterr, I knew I had to join so I can quickly contact Melvang to have him create a pad for me.

To give you a background, I am not a professional gamer, but I have been playing Counterstrike for many years as a hobby and for fun ever since V1.6 (but play CS-GO now). I use my computer for my professional job at home and work.  That, and my job consist of 80% of computer work and I grew up on computers ever since I was young, so having the right hardware is extremely important to me.

This is a beginning review as to the custom made pad.  All I can share right now is the first step which was the initial conversation. I spoke with Melving and he was extremely courteous and professional. We went over the size of the pad, the color, the structure, and all other necessary concerns to begin the process of the creation.  I told him my interests, and he gave his input and opinions as to the best way to create the perfect pad.  It all made sense, and I knew I was in good hands with him.  To be upfront, after the conversation,  I knew I wanted the pad now, but patience is a virtue - yes?!

As soon as I have more information to share, I will post more and of course, when I receive the pad, I will give a thorough review and pictures so everyone can be informed In order to make a judgement for themselves.

FYI - The sensors I will be testing the pad are a Phillips twin-eye laser (8,200 DPI), PixArt 3310 optical (5,000 DPI), and a PMW3366 (12,000 DPI). 

Again, as soon as I have more updates to the custom pad project, I will post more details.  Hope this little bit helps though.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 00:44:35 »
So I have started cutting some aluminum with my table saw.  It isn't perfect by any stretch, but it will work just fine for making mouse pads. 

I have cut the piece, broke the edges and took off the corners.  Not much, just enough to eliminate the possibility of cuts from rough handling and cutting mouse cord insulation.

The thick one is for Conservative005 and will be going down for Cerakote in the morning.  It will be getting a coating of H-190Q Armor Black.  This is the most matte finish black they make, and the H series has a better abrasion resistance than the C series.

Now for the 3 smaller ones, they are 10"x12"x1/16" thick.  I am planning on doing one in C-192Q Armor Black, one in C-110Q Micro Slick, and one with a 50/50 mix of both.  I was given confirmation that this will work just fine for application, curing, and such from Cerakote themselves.  Apparently the Micro Slick (designed specifically to enhance friction properties) can be mixed into any other C series color, though it will change the color of the final product.

When I go down to Rainbow in the morning, I will ask for a quote for these 3 pieces.  If anyone wants to donate for the cost of the Cerakote, that would be amazing.  The mouse pad will be yours after it makes a quick tour of testing from a couple members.  If you are interested, please post here.

Don't worry about the splotchy color, all pieces will get a media blast before coating.

Offline Dergless

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 14:32:14 »
Long time lurker first time poster here, reading through this thread has really intrigued me especially since I've used soft pads for my entire gaming career and am just now looking into hard pads for the first time.  Out of curiosity, how much would a Qck+ sized pad (17.7" x 15.7") cost?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 19:40:31 »
Long time lurker first time poster here, reading through this thread has really intrigued me especially since I've used soft pads for my entire gaming career and am just now looking into hard pads for the first time.  Out of curiosity, how much would a Qck+ sized pad (17.7" x 15.7") cost?

Most likely in the neighborhood of $200.

I do have some other ideas to help with price that still need to be tested.  But these options do not include Cerakote.

Offline Dergless

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 21:25:08 »
I figured it'd be around that, definitely still interested though!  I'll keep checking back here to see how testing is going, it's going to be a while anyways until I can get my hands on a PMW3360 so it works out.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 20:38:17 »
Interested in this project. Great idea.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 09:15:51 »
New pictures added in the OP.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 21:06:02 »
There is now another example of my work in the wild with reported excellent tracking using the PWR3310.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 09:42:09 »
Do they anchor well?  I have a Glorious PC Gaming Race one and love it.  Other than over time it slides, so I have to slide it back to the edge of the desk.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 09:53:56 »
Do they anchor well?  I have a Glorious PC Gaming Race one and love it.  Other than over time it slides, so I have to slide it back to the edge of the desk.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know.  My mouse pad is physically blocked from moving by the side of the keyboard tray to the right and back, and my keyboard that is built into the keyboard tray to the left.

I am sure Conservative005 will be able to answer that.

Offline Suruga Devil

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 15:31:35 »
Any updates on the tracking? I'm interested in this.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 16:11:00 »
Any updates on the tracking? I'm interested in this.

Conservative005 said he was going to wait a couple weeks before he reported back but I haven't heard anything bad yet.  He said tracking on his PWR3310 is excellent with no issues so far playing CS:GO.

Offline Suruga Devil

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 20:13:34 »
If I'm going to be honest, I really think you should remove the content in the OP about the tracking issues- maybe even get a moderator to delete or lock the thread, and make a new one. A lot of terrible mice do not track well on any sort of uniform surface such as Cerakote. You're shooting yourself in the foot by saying that it has tracking issues. A piece of printer paper probably has tracking issues. Until you find a reasonably high-end mouse that doesn't track on it, I would blame the mouse, not the pad.

To everyone reading this thread, I would assume that your mouse DOES work with the mousepad, unless you've bought some offbrand clone for $15 bucks on ebay.

In addition, before you buy a $200+ mousepad, invest in a ~$40+ mouse, or at least one with a proven sensor. Keep your priorities in line, yo.

I'm quite interested in this- don't let this project get swept under the rug!  :thumb:

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 21:40:40 »
If I'm going to be honest, I really think you should remove the content in the OP about the tracking issues- maybe even get a moderator to delete or lock the thread, and make a new one. A lot of terrible mice do not track well on any sort of uniform surface such as Cerakote. You're shooting yourself in the foot by saying that it has tracking issues. A piece of printer paper probably has tracking issues. Until you find a reasonably high-end mouse that doesn't track on it, I would blame the mouse, not the pad.

To everyone reading this thread, I would assume that your mouse DOES work with the mousepad, unless you've bought some offbrand clone for $15 bucks on ebay.

In addition, before you buy a $200+ mousepad, invest in a ~$40+ mouse, or at least one with a proven sensor. Keep your priorities in line, yo.

I'm quite interested in this- don't let this project get swept under the rug!  :thumb:

You are very correct.  I will take care of this when I get home.  Right now I m working out of town.  Should be home this weekend.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 11:58:33 »
I wonder if the microstructure of the ceramic coating makes a difference, because it may feel smooth to the touch, but actually have micro sharp edges which act like knives which grind and lock with other material..   

Is there a polishing finish process on the cerakote ?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 14:34:16 »
I wonder if the microstructure of the ceramic coating makes a difference, because it may feel smooth to the touch, but actually have micro sharp edges which act like knives which grind and lock with other material..   

Is there a polishing finish process on the cerakote ?

Not normally,  but for this last one, I got it with some 1000 or 1500 grit sandpaper (not sure anymore) with being set to knock down a couple splatters, and it turned out butter smooth.

Offline Dergless

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 11:11:14 »
Sorry for necro-ing this thread but I'm wondering if there have been anymore updates on this project?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 20:56:51 »
Sorry for necro-ing this thread but I'm wondering if there have been anymore updates on this project?

Please do not every feel sorry for necroing this thread.  I have been working out of town a lot in the last year and don't get much time at home, let alone keep up with the logistics of this thread and working on prototypes. 

Anyway, I did get another pad out the door and got back an initial impression.  Here are some quotes from him.

"I just got it unpacked and setup about an hour ago.
Man, I am so glad I decided to buy it, its such an amazing piece. The work you did really stands out and really shows, the nice bevel around the edges. The finish is great too, very smooth but still has some texture. It has noticeably less friction than Logitech plastic hard surface I was using. I am going to try to switch back to some new teflon mouse feet to see how it feels, I think the ceramic feet probably are overkill on this surface and I wouldn't want to wear it out."

And then about a week later he said this.

"I am really glad you made it for me. My gf made fun of me for how excited I was to get it. It looks really professional and feels super solid. It seems like it will last for years. I breifly tried the ceramic mouse skates, but I switched back to teflon to prevent any wear from the mousepad. I prefer the teflon feet with this pad, as the pad is much smoother and slicker than the Logitech hard pad I had been using. There is no need for the ceramic skates now. Its one of my favorite parts of my workstation setup, would definitely recommend for those people who care about their computer gear. "

I have also gotten some time in and got a logo made and was able to use the laser cutter to etch it directly into the Cerakote.  Here are some potato pics of the logo I did on his mouse pad.

http://imgur.com/a/NOHZq

As far as prices go, with the new ownership, the changed things up a little.  There is now a $50 setup fee per color.  So the system I have that I know works, spray with Armor Black, flash cure for 15 minutes in the oven, then a misting of Graphite Black, almost overspray type coverage, the full cure will cost upwards of $125 for a 12"x18" pad, but smaller won't reduce the price much if any at all.  And that is the highest line item for these.  After that there is the cost of the aluminum, transportation to the paint shop, either an hour drive each way for me to drop off and pick up, or mail, then shipping to you.  So, I don't make much at the prices I am charging. 

But I have been told from a previous customer that this process works well with PMW3310, 3360, and a PMW3360 sensors. 

Offline Dergless

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 08:45:30 »
Wow thanks for the quick response, I'm so glad to hear this project is still alive and I was so impressed by those new pictures of the 12x18 pad!  I did have one question though since I'm not familiar with Cerakote but would it wear down teflon based skates faster than say a standard hard pad?

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 09:41:56 »
These look very nice! Im definitely intrigued. My current desk mat does me fine and at $15 its hard to complain. But you work is very nice and its sucks its so expensive (you charge a good price and I understand its more in the way of materials/production cost).  I think if you attempted to run a group buy for this it would go over a lot better.  I know i'd definitely go in for one at say a $150 price point, and even possibly at $200.

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:39:24 »
+1 for the GB idea, altough it seems unlikely with you not having much time.
I think the maximum I would want to spend is around 150$ too.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:45:53 »
These look cool.
Question:

Can they be made out of smoked cheese?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 23:30:00 »
Wow thanks for the quick response, I'm so glad to hear this project is still alive and I was so impressed by those new pictures of the 12x18 pad!  I did have one question though since I'm not familiar with Cerakote but would it wear down teflon based skates faster than say a standard hard pad?

To answer your question, I don't believe so.  Due to the wet sanding process I do, that takes out a lot of the percievable texture from the surface.  There might be a bit, mostly in the beginning, but after a bit, the Teflon would start to fill in the small voids left over and would slow down that process.  On top of that, it might even make it a bit smoother, but probably wouldn't effect the actual friction numbers much.

These look very nice! Im definitely intrigued. My current desk mat does me fine and at $15 its hard to complain. But you work is very nice and its sucks its so expensive (you charge a good price and I understand its more in the way of materials/production cost).  I think if you attempted to run a group buy for this it would go over a lot better.  I know i'd definitely go in for one at say a $150 price point, and even possibly at $200.

+1 for the GB idea, altough it seems unlikely with you not having much time.
I think the maximum I would want to spend is around 150$ too.

Unfortunately, a group buy is not feasible.  At least not for me at this point.  Not without incurring more steps in the process that I would have to pay for in order to get them out in a timely fashion.  This is a multi-faceted problem for my setup right now. 

Some of the primary issues with that would be the following.  I don't have any way of receiving bulk sheets of aluminum.  They typically ship in 4'x8' sheets, these would weight about 60 pounds, and are flimsy when handling at that size.  I don't have anything setup right now for cutting that large of sheet efficiently.  I would need to get a fence setup for a circular saw, buy a new blade for it, etc.  I know this could be done fairly easily, but new blades for this purpose are typically $50 each.

I just did a bit of google searching, for the aluminum itself, I found a place that would deliver 4'x8' sheets to my house.  The cost was $245 per sheet, and $277 for shipping.  Just curious, I started adding sheets to the order to see how it effected shipping, price only went up by $10 for an order of 4 sheets.  Now, I could make 36 mouse pads at 10"x12" out of a single sheet, but I want to keep offering custom sizes.  Which would cut into that just due to odd cuts, not knowing what sizes I would be cutting next, etc.

Also, I spoke with my paint shop about the cost a few months back.  I asked if not having holes to hang in the oven was effecting the price, and apparently it isn't.  But I wouldn't be able to get a price break on the Cerakote itself until I got to about 100 pieces.  I really don't think this is feasible.  Even with advertising on OCN in the mouse section.  Even then, I can't advertise, or even get an artisan account until 75 rep, and then it costs money per item to list in the artisan section.  I think it was 50 rep just to create a post in the classifieds section. 

But the biggest issue, is actually time.  I make every one by hand, with a strong dose of OCD.  The first one had a couple blemishes under the Cerakote that I thought would buff out with the media blasting, apparently I was wrong.  So, now I go overboard on smoothing them out before sending for paint.  Granted I do use power tools to make them, but everything is by hand, no automated stuff in my shop yet.  About the closest I have to that is a cross cut sled for my table saw for cutting to size.  After that, I round the corners, and soften the edges by hand with my 4 inch angle grinder, or sand paper for sharp and masked edges (I just take the corners off enough so they don't tear up mouse cords and arms, the edges from my saw cuts and the shear are like razors), and then hand sand to get those scratches out.  Even after paint, I take a hand finished approach with a wet sanding process using 2,000 grit sandpaper. 

With all this, I still have to find time for my wife, two kids, and I have been working out of town and living in hotels during the week for a large part of the last year.  Such is the nature of the game when you work in industrial construction trades, have to go where to work is if you want to keep working.

These look cool.
Question:

Can they be made out of smoked cheese?

Nope sorry, won't survive the bake part of the coating process.  Best case, they have to be able to withstand 180F for 2 hours.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 12:12:55 »
Official order form coming soon

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 12:19:19 »
Bueno.

Offline Pillar Men

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 06:56:47 »
Official order form coming soon
As soon I have read that I needed to register myself to this forum. I followed this thread for a while and was very interested to get one one day. I am looking forward for this!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 23:20:58 »
Order form and contact form are both up, Links are in my signature.