Author Topic: [GB] Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed] - 2nd Batch Shipped  (Read 319944 times)

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
Re: [GB] Duck Viper/Eagle V2 Kustom Group Buy [Closed] - 1st Batch Shipped
« Reply #600 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 16:37:01 »
For all those waiting I should have diffuser dimensions for Zeal Compatibility done late tonight.  Once I double check everything I'll send them off to be cut probably tomorrow.  If I get them expedited it will raise the cost from $5 to between $7-$10 -- is that ok with everybody?

Ok with me. Thanks again for arranging this onmybikedrunk!

As a general update- I'm still working on the flatter screw idea but have thus far crapped out. The flat headed M2 I found is just a slight bit longer than the ones Zeal provides, so no relief there- the screw hits the end of the threaded metal bit on the stab housing and the net is that they protrude even more than the goldies. I do think a flatter head would help, but none of the screws I've been able to find around home or work are making the difference we're looking for. I'll keep looking and update if I find a winner.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #601 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 19:05:49 »
For all those waiting I should have diffuser dimensions for Zeal Compatibility done late tonight.  Once I double check everything I'll send them off to be cut probably tomorrow.  If I get them expedited it will raise the cost from $5 to between $7-$10 -- is that ok with everybody?

That is fine with me.

Can anyone send me a photo of the Eagle/Viper plate?

Did you get the photo already? If not I can get you one tomorrow.

Offline inosint

« Reply #602 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 19:47:33 »
Yup, still very reasonable imo. I'm in.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #603 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 22:58:01 »
Im cool with that!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #604 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 23:36:43 »

I am also interested in a new diffuser as mine is broken, although I don't need zeal stab compatibility necessarily, any will do fine. :)

Offline sonic2911

« Reply #605 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 08:14:30 »
what kind of LEDs can I use for this board?

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

« Reply #606 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 12:30:44 »
In switch two pin single color LEDs. 3mm flangeless, square 2x3x4, or 1.8mm

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #607 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 12:47:18 »
In switch two pin single color LEDs. 3mm flangeless, square 2x3x4, or 1.8mm

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Also to note, if you use 2x3x4mm leds, you will likely have some rubbing when using GMK sets. You can lightly sand the led's at a angle to prevent rubbing.

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #608 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 16:58:52 »
If anyone wants to trade their Black Eagle or Viper kit(preferably with a stainless steel plate) for my VE.A w/tenting stands, lmk  :thumb:

Glamour shot: http://imgur.com/WM6aMbU
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 March 2017, 09:27:37 by aaron6301 »

Offline poolside

« Reply #609 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 17:28:49 »
If anyone wants to trade their black eagle kit for my VE.A w/tenting stands, lmk  :thumb:

Tasty picture!  :thumb:

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

« Reply #610 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 18:43:19 »
Does anyone have the files for the plate? Trying to get a case made for my second PCB, and measurements for the mounting on the plate would really help.  Probably 3D printing a case or getting acrylic cut.  CNC is probably too expensive. 
60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #611 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 19:09:32 »
Does anyone have the files for the plate? Trying to get a case made for my second PCB, and measurements for the mounting on the plate would really help.  Probably 3D printing a case or getting acrylic cut.  CNC is probably too expensive.

I don't think the files have been released from duck. You may need to measure them yourself.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #612 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 00:55:33 »
Yeah, he only gave me the diffuser CAD drawings.  Sorry for the delay... I forgot that my wife was out of town and I'm alone at home with our 3 year old twins!  TERROR.  Building now.  I'll keep you guys posted on any progress.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #613 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 02:25:45 »
So can anyone kinda give me the thought behind the acrylic plate?  I ordered one with my extra PCB just out of curiosity being that I haven't seen Duck offer them before...  I've seen a few posts (probably KBDLab?) where I've seen folks use acrylic plates with linears but this negates the belief of hard metal (steel) is better than soft (aluminum) when it comes to plates and linear switches...  Anybody?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #614 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 02:29:31 »
So can anyone kinda give me the thought behind the acrylic plate?  I ordered one with my extra PCB just out of curiosity being that I haven't seen Duck offer them before...  I've seen a few posts (probably KBDLab?) where I've seen folks use acrylic plates with linears but this negates the belief of hard metal (steel) is better than soft (aluminum) when it comes to plates and linear switches...  Anybody?

I will let you know once I build it, probably in a few weeks though.

Offline LDobler

« Reply #615 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 02:46:06 »
If anybody is looking to sell their Eagle/GB spot please PM me!  ;D

Offline thanhnv244

« Reply #616 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 03:12:48 »
If anyone wants to trade their black eagle kit for my VE.A w/tenting stands, lmk  :thumb:

Really ?  :eek:

Too bad I've sold my spot already  :thumb:

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #617 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 09:30:08 »

Really ?  :eek:

Too bad I've sold my spot already  :thumb:

Unfortunately split boards just aren't my thing and would like to trade it for something that might actually get some use  ;)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #618 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 14:30:54 »

i think they are also novel for light refraction within the case. i've seen some pics where in-switch leds were not used because the acrylic plate created enough light under the keys

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #619 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:07:54 »

I have polycarb plate and linear switches for my KMAC2 and I have to say it's the worst typing experience I ever have from Korean custom. But that could very well just be me.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #620 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:14:43 »

I have polycarb plate and linear switches for my KMAC2 and I have to say it's the worst typing experience I ever have from Korean custom. But that could very well just be me.

It is my opinion that linear switches are best on very rigid plates like SS and that tactile switches shine on polycarb or plastic plates which are more 'springy'. It's similar to the idea behind partial plates, which offer a traditional PCB mounted experience. At the end of the day it's all very subjective and entirely down to personal preference.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #621 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:28:13 »
So ok... I have the drawings done.  I do have a small problem... I didn't realize (a stupid oversight on my part) that the acrylic pieces were different thicknesses.  The bottom is 2mm while the top/sides are 3mm.  Ponoko's smallest thickness offered is 3mm.  I cancelled the "stock" diffuser order with them and emailed them about custom materials.  They unfortunately only offer what's listed on their site.  If anyone has any suggestions for a one-stop shop online, I would be forever grateful.  I will also investigate a local place I found here in Portland, OR.  FYI - we need 2mm thickness of "Opal" or translucent Acrylic sheeting with light transmission values.

Next issue is how they're produced.  Attached is a sample drawing with the options I had in mind.  My idea would be to produce two separate versions -- 1 for 6.5u spacebars and one for 7u spacebars.  The reason for this is because the two stab mounting holes to the far right hand side (when looking at the back of the PCB) are very close together.  If we did a one-size fits all then it MIGHT not refract the light as well from that LED located above the two holes.  This might not be an issue, but I'm not sure.  Duck definitely designed these so the acrylic sits right against the LEDs which is why I'm cautious.  So everyone who wants one of these take a look at the drawings and see what the best course of action would be... A one-size-fits-all or two separate versions for different spacebar lengths?

Offline gaiden

« Reply #622 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:38:33 »
So ok... I have the drawings done.  I do have a small problem... I didn't realize (a stupid oversight on my part) that the acrylic pieces were different thicknesses.  The bottom is 2mm while the top/sides are 3mm.  Ponoko's smallest thickness offered is 3mm.  I cancelled the "stock" diffuser order with them and emailed them about custom materials.  They unfortunately only offer what's listed on their site.  If anyone has any suggestions for a one-stop shop online, I would be forever grateful.  I will also investigate a local place I found here in Portland, OR.  FYI - we need 2mm thickness of "Opal" or translucent Acrylic sheeting with light transmission values.

Next issue is how they're produced.  Attached is a sample drawing with the options I had in mind.  My idea would be to produce two separate versions -- 1 for 6.5u spacebars and one for 7u spacebars.  The reason for this is because the two stab mounting holes to the far right hand side (when looking at the back of the PCB) are very close together.  If we did a one-size fits all then it MIGHT not refract the light as well from that LED located above the two holes.  This might not be an issue, but I'm not sure.  Duck definitely designed these so the acrylic sits right against the LEDs which is why I'm cautious.  So everyone who wants one of these take a look at the drawings and see what the best course of action would be... A one-size-fits-all or two separate versions for different spacebar lengths?

Show Image

IMO the LED being so close should be plenty bright. Also 2 in 1 would be more economical in case someone bought the 6.25u but changed his mind later before building then the 6.25u would become useless.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #623 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 15:46:19 »
+1 for All spacebar sizes!

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #624 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 16:01:05 »
IMO the LED being so close should be plenty bright. Also 2 in 1 would be more economical in case someone bought the 6.25u but changed his mind later before building then the 6.25u would become useless.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yeah you're probably right, just erring on the side of caution.  I would much rather only produce one version for obvious reasons...

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #625 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 16:59:10 »
+1 for universal as well. And sign me up for 1 when you're able to get them produced. Thanks for your hard work!

Edit: a metal option would be awesome as well if you can get that done in a local shop.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 March 2017, 17:00:46 by finalarcadia »

Offline sairex

« Reply #626 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 17:09:05 »
Just wanted to express my interest in the modified diffusers as well. Thanks!

Offline HappyCatFish

« Reply #627 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 17:36:47 »
I am in for a diffuser, universal or 7u, doesn't matter to me. Just let us know when to send you the money and our info!

Thank you so much for doing this.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #628 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 21:55:25 »
Alright, because I've received numerous complaints via PM, I'm implementing a spot transfer fee of $50 USD. It's not fair to others when one's intention is to just sell their spot for profit.

Offline trexous

• ~.~
« Reply #629 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 22:01:01 »
Alright, because I've received numerous complaints via PM, I'm implementing a spot transfer fee of $50 USD. It's not fair to others when one's intention is to just sell their spot for profit.

whats the point if the seller is (most likely) going to make the buyer pay for the spot transfer fee anyways? which in turn makes the spot even more expensive for the buyer.

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #630 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 23:01:01 »
So I have a local guy working on the laser cutting for the diffuser.  Consensus seems to be a universal size, which I totally agree with at this point...

beardedboydesign.com

EDIT// I will start a spreadsheet and link it here of everyone that has PM'd me or left a message in the thread and add to it as we go along.  smittysteve has agreed to help and he'll be managing the spreadsheet/Google Forms.  I'm sure he'll post a link soon.  We're also discussing other materials for fun... Think metal/onyx acrylic/hardwood ply etc...//

Hopefully the standard Opal Acrylic will be cheaper via beardedboydesign than Ponoko because Ponoko's shipping rates + "maker rates" are astronomical.  Again, it wouldn't hurt to have a backup source online if anyone knows of anywhere they have good experience with.  So yeah, should know more Monday. 

Final:
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 March 2017, 00:03:43 by onmybikedrunk »

Offline gaiden

« Reply #631 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 00:21:09 »
So I have a local guy working on the laser cutting for the diffuser.  Consensus seems to be a universal size, which I totally agree with at this point...

beardedboydesign.com

EDIT// I will start a spreadsheet and link it here of everyone that has PM'd me or left a message in the thread and add to it as we go along.  smittysteve has agreed to help and he'll be managing the spreadsheet/Google Forms.  I'm sure he'll post a link soon.  We're also discussing other materials for fun... Think metal/onyx acrylic/hardwood ply etc...//

Hopefully the standard Opal Acrylic will be cheaper via beardedboydesign than Ponoko because Ponoko's shipping rates + "maker rates" are astronomical.  Again, it wouldn't hurt to have a backup source online if anyone knows of anywhere they have good experience with.  So yeah, should know more Monday. 

Final:
Show Image

looks great! so this shop can make both 2mm and 3mm thick cuts? also what is the price range? also maybe brass & SS should be among the choices.  :thumb:

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #632 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 00:36:29 »
So this is something I should have probably clarified... Since the bottom plate was the only one causing the interference I figured that would be the only one we needed to produce for a stock diffuser match.  Then you could just use the side diffusers that came with the board. 

For other materials, like black-out diffusers, Ponoko has both thicknesses so it should be relatively easy and very fast to get secondary options made in full sets (2 top/sides and 1 front).  Unfortunately, the only light-transmitting "opal" acrylic matching what comes with the Viper/Eagle offered by Ponoko started at 3mm (just bad luck I guess). 

All that being said, the guy I'm dealing with now just orders the plastics thru a well known national distributor (from what I picked up he uses TAP Plastics) so he can cut any thickness as long as it's offered.

I will have a quote Monday.

EDIT: Metals are a whole different ball-game after doing some very quick research.  I am more than happy to pass off the files or mod the front diffuser so it doesn't cause shorts but metal isn't a road I'm personally really wanting to go down... Smittysteve sounded like he may be willing to take this on though!
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 March 2017, 00:43:14 by onmybikedrunk »

Offline LDobler

« Reply #633 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 02:34:31 »
If anyone wants to sell their spot please PM me! :)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #634 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 15:11:03 »
Hello All-

So, I've offered to help onmybikedrunk with a few bits of the replacement/ alternate front diffuser bits. As you can tell, dude is a rock star and doesn't need help. But also, we are both dads of 2 (onmybike) and 3 (me) kids, so between the two of us, we'll get these bad boys ordered. Not trying to make this a big GB or anything, just trying to centralize orders and get the cost for everyone as low as possible. And we're just trying to help out here- will post all costs and there's no cut in it for us... only want to help everyone make these awesome boards even awesome-r.   :thumb:

As onmybike said, we want to keep it pretty simple, so here's the plan:

-We are only going to deal with new front diffusers right now. The goal is to make something as close as possible to what came with the board- 2mm thick frosted "Opal Acrylic." We've included a question about whether you want to have others made for the side/ rear 3mm diffusers. If there is a lot of interest on that, perhaps we will give it a go. 

-I agree with onmybikedrunk- not sure I want to mess with anything metal right now either. I'm going to investigate the clearance to the PCB and since you're not trying to get the acrylic as near as possible to the PCB for LEDs, maybe a thin metal insert would work? I still vote we stick with acrylics for now. With the nylon washers likely needed for the Zeal stabs and all that, I'd rather not have another potential way to short out my board. We've left it in there for an option on the form- it you really want metal, check that too and we can see if it's feasible. However, as we started chatting about it, we of course started thinking about other materials... I went all silver on the Viper, so a black onyx acrylic might look tasty. We don't want this to become a big thing or have to many variables (aka opportunities for it to go sideways), but we've added a few questions about interest in other materials. We'll see what y'all have to say and go from there.

Think that's it. Pretty simple... form is here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSegFXZikG0UzYC-x01-bZ4Yjsvcsd9jbi5aJNwITHwEV3isYg/viewform?usp=sf_link

We've asked for contact email if different from Paypal. We don't want to spam this forum, so once this link is up, we'll move all communication over to a group email to talk more about options and such with those who are interested. Elton, thanks for letting us post this here, you freaking rock.  :-*  (And while onmybikedrunk and I will gladly be paying for our own, I'd suggest everyone rounds up payment to the nearest dollar and we cover whatever Elton wants for always doing such a great job with the Duck buys...)

Let me or onmybikedrunk know if you have any questions/ comments/ suggestions. Have a great weekend!!

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #635 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 15:33:35 »
Filled it out! Thanks again.

Offline inosint

« Reply #636 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 15:41:00 »
Submitted, thanks for coordinating this onmybikedrunk/smittysteve

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #637 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 17:25:21 »
Hello All-

So, I've offered to help onmybikedrunk with a few bits of the replacement/ alternate front diffuser bits. As you can tell, dude is a rock star and doesn't need help. But also, we are both dads of 2 (onmybike) and 3 (me) kids, so between the two of us, we'll get these bad boys ordered. Not trying to make this a big GB or anything, just trying to centralize orders and get the cost for everyone as low as possible. And we're just trying to help out here- will post all costs and there's no cut in it for us... only want to help everyone make these awesome boards even awesome-r.   :thumb:

-We are only going to deal with new front diffusers right now. The goal is to make something as close as possible to what came with the board- 2mm thick frosted "Opal Acrylic." We've included a question about whether you want to have others made for the side/ rear 3mm diffusers. If there is a lot of interest on that, perhaps we will give it a go. 

-I agree with onmybikedrunk- not sure I want to mess with anything metal right now either. I'm going to investigate the clearance to the PCB and since you're not trying to get the acrylic as near as possible to the PCB for LEDs, maybe a thin metal insert would work? I still vote we stick with acrylics for now. With the nylon washers likely needed for the Zeal stabs and all that, I'd rather not have another potential way to short out my board. We've left it in there for an option on the form- it you really want metal, check that too and we can see if it's feasible. However, as we started chatting about it, we of course started thinking about other materials... I went all silver on the Viper, so a black onyx acrylic might look tasty. We don't want this to become a big thing or have to many variables (aka opportunities for it to go sideways), but we've added a few questions about interest in other materials. We'll see what y'all have to say and go from there.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSegFXZikG0UzYC-x01-bZ4Yjsvcsd9jbi5aJNwITHwEV3isYg/viewform?usp=sf_link

We've asked for contact email if different from Paypal. We don't want to spam this forum, so once this link is up, we'll move all communication over to a group email to talk more about options and such with those who are interested. Elton, thanks for letting us post this here, you freaking rock.  :-*  (And while onmybikedrunk and I will gladly be paying for our own, I'd suggest everyone rounds up payment to the nearest dollar and we cover whatever Elton wants for always doing such a great job with the Duck buys...)

Let me or onmybikedrunk know if you have any questions/ comments/ suggestions. Have a great weekend!!
Hi what kind of acrylic does the original duck eagle have? Because i dont know what to choose between clear and frosted, can you help me out
Thanks

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #638 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 18:37:32 »
Hello All-

Hi what kind of acrylic does the original duck eagle have? Because i dont know what to choose between clear and frosted, can you help me out
Thanks

Sure- original is frosted and throws diffused LED lighting. With clear, you can see the punctuate light from each LED. Duck send with the frosted, but some people may prefer the clear, perhaps? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #639 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 01:32:45 »
Just thought I'd take a break from boring diffusers to share something I think is special... I built this on a whim and IMO it turned out awesome...

So a little backstory about the switches:  For those of you who don't know, they are Japanese Hirose Cherry MX Orange Switches produced by Hirose under permission from Cherry in the ate eighties...  They are pretty rare (I actually had a harder time finding them than I did finding Nixdorf's or "Nixies").  The are one of the smoothest switches I have ever used -- smoother than the Nixies (that I own at least).  The thing that makes them special are three things:  Hirose was the only company Cherry licensed to produce their switches, stamped with the Cherry name on them, at that time - there is no mention of Hirose anywhere on the switch.  Second, the stems are modified from the standard Cherry MX stem as seen here (credit MouseFan). 

And finally the stems are a different plastic than stock Cherry MX switches.  The modded stem makes them super smooth - like a lubed switch without lube. The body of the switch is nearly identical to vintage blacks and the springs register somewhere around 68-72g (I have sh*%^y equipment for this measurement so don't quote me on that).  They have only been found on two boards: the Yamaha QX3 sequencer and NCR's F020 - which is actually a cool looking board.  They Yamaha has been known to have an identical switch with a white/clear stem - also linear.  I nerd out on rare switches and thought some of you might enjoy this build... Here yah go!

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #640 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 02:59:14 »
Just thought I'd take a break from boring diffusers to share something I think is special... I built this on a whim and IMO it turned out awesome...

So a little backstory about the switches:  For those of you who don't know, they are Japanese Hirose Cherry MX Orange Switches produced by Hirose under permission from Cherry in the ate eighties...  They are pretty rare (I actually had a harder time finding them than I did finding Nixdorf's or "Nixies").  The are one of the smoothest switches I have ever used -- smoother than the Nixies (that I own at least).  The thing that makes them special are three things:  Hirose was the only company Cherry licensed to produce their switches, stamped with the Cherry name on them, at that time - there is no mention of Hirose anywhere on the switch.  Second, the stems are modified from the standard Cherry MX stem as seen here (credit MouseFan). 
Show Image

And finally the stems are a different plastic than stock Cherry MX switches.  The modded stem makes them super smooth - like a lubed switch without lube. The body of the switch is nearly identical to vintage blacks and the springs register somewhere around 68-72g (I have sh*%^y equipment for this measurement so don't quote me on that).  They have only been found on two boards: the Yamaha QX3 sequencer and NCR's F020 - which is actually a cool looking board.  They Yamaha has been known to have an identical switch with a white/clear stem - also linear.  I nerd out on rare switches and thought some of you might enjoy this build... Here yah go!
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Beautiful build! I'd love to see and hear a typing video for this :]

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #641 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 03:02:36 »
Beautiful build! I'd love to see and hear a typing video for this :]
If only I had a decent mic (or camera for that matter).

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #642 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 03:56:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That looks incredibly nice. I've never had the chance to test the Nixie switch before, as they are very rare apparently  :( ;D

Couldn't you just borrow a camera to record a typing video? I'm really curious how they sound.

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #643 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:01:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Are you be able to use zeal stab with the original acrylic?

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #644 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 15:35:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And I thought that liking linears would save me money since I wouldn't have to buy zealios... There is no turning back now lol.

Offline anthorix

• Finally Awake
« Reply #645 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 17:48:53 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Fantastic keeb! Bought 2 Yamaha QX3s for my own Viper V2 and wrote a little about em on reddit. http://imgur.com/a/SsMP4

Offline onmybikedrunk

« Reply #646 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 22:49:54 »
Fantastic keeb! Bought 2 Yamaha QX3s for my own Viper V2 and wrote a little about em on reddit. http://imgur.com/a/SsMP4

Oh this is awesome!  I never knew about that little notch in the stem there... Also for some reason never thought of the nickel thing either.  Did Ripster pressure you to use nickels?  LOL.  "You know, for keyboard science!" or whatever he says...haha love that guy.  Anyway, glad you got a decent measurement.  Did you get your QX3's from Japan or some other outlet?  I have new old stock (yeah that's right, NEVER USED) Nixies for the Viper **insert evil laughter here** . The nostalgic vintage dudes are gonna be crying as I cannibalize this board...  :o

No these are just regular clear snap in stabs.  I will be using Zeal for the Viper tho.

Speaking of which:  Looks like the local dude from beardyboydesign.com is coming through.  I have to source the plastic myself (better that way), but he's offered to do each diffuser cut for $2.50.  This of course doesn't include materials so it seems we might hit a $5 price point for a replacement front diffuser with Zeal-compatibility. Yeah!

Offline BlackInk

• "Manners maketh man"
    • TeamGSB
« Reply #647 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 23:25:33 »

Oh this is awesome!  I never knew about that little notch in the stem there... Also for some reason never thought of the nickel thing either.  Did Ripster pressure you to use nickels?  LOL.  "You know, for keyboard science!" or whatever he says...haha love that guy.  Anyway, glad you got a decent measurement.  Did you get your QX3's from Japan or some other outlet?  I have new old stock (yeah that's right, NEVER USED) Nixies for the Viper **insert evil laughter here** . The nostalgic vintage dudes are gonna be crying as I cannibalize this board...  :o

No these are just regular clear snap in stabs.  I will be using Zeal for the Viper tho.

Speaking of which:  Looks like the local dude from beardyboydesign.com is coming through.  I have to source the plastic myself (better that way), but he's offered to do each diffuser cut for $2.50.  This of course doesn't include materials so it seems we might hit a $5 price point for a replacement front diffuser with Zeal-compatibility. Yeah!
Thanks for your hard work dude, def getting some extra diffuser

Offline anthorix

• Finally Awake
« Reply #648 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 01:20:25 »

ya set an alarm for 6am in the morning just to bid on yamaha QX3s... About the nickels I wanted to know the specs exactly, because they felt strangely similar to my gateron yellows and heavier than my gateron reds. the yamahas had a keycap that says "LOAD" and in ripsters honor i had to do some science. apparently they actuate around 55g.  :thumb: also nice time capsule nixies, def a rare switch, especially new-old stock.

Offline LDobler

« Reply #649 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:50:53 »
Looking for a GB spot of the 2nd batch. Please PM me if you wanna give yours up! Thanks :)