Author Topic: "ExSel" on Model M?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
"ExSel" on Model M?
« on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 04:09:02 »
Okay, this Model M 1391401 is on eBay:

166580-0

The 1391401 is the typical Model M, and everything about this one is what you'd expect—except this:

166584-2

Excuse me—ExSel instead of Esc? What does it mean? And why is this on a '401, when IBM was so crazy fond of creating new p/n's for even the most minor variations?

I'm thinking maybe this board did originally have an Esc, but the cap got lost and someone substituted ExSel from a terminal M. (I can't say for sure I've seen ExSel on a terminal M, but it seems like one of those terminal-style legends, doesn't it?)

Whaddaya think? I know this is the sort of thing that delights you guys, and I wouldn't want to deny you any excitement, cap-wise.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

Re: "ExSel" on Model M?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 04:14:33 »
ive had some of those caps and i think it was from a model m 122.

My guess would be that you are on the money and someone just ut it on.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 05:25:41 »
ExSel (which I believe comes from "Extended Selection") is a key that you usually see on 3270 terminal emulator boards, and acts as a kind of modifier (see http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/3174/GA23-0332-2_3174_Terminal_Users_Reference_for_Expanded_Functions_May89.pdf)

As to why it's on that keyboard, your theory is the most likely: the original Esc was lost and someone substituted it for a key off an unused terminal keyboard. The fact that it has a label indicating that it was property of a College furthers this idea.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 05:55:40 »
Makes sense—thanks! (And be grateful I didn't say "I tip my cap to you.")
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg