Author Topic: [GB] EEPW84 / XD84 Kits - $25 PCBs - CLOSED - Replacing Aluminum Cases  (Read 12325 times)

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
XD84 / EEPW84 75% Keyboard Kit Group Buy, Organized by reconsiderit.

I'm pretty new with GH but have been on r/mechanicalkeyboards for a while now and started a GB on reddit and wanted to expand it to GH. I want to be completely open and transparent with this since this will be the first GB that I will be organizing. I've done a lot of things like this with a couple of friends a few times so have a feel and some background to what kind of timeframe and expenses are associated with running a GB. I also manage logistics at work so I'm pretty familiar with how to handle shipping and collaborations with people overseas. 

Original Reddit GB Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/67kkxp/gb_eepw84_xd84_75_keyboard_kits_and_extras_25_pcbs/
Original Reddit IC Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/65t9g1/ic_25_xd60_update_25_xd84_gb_65_with_left_hand/

GB INSTRUCTIONS
After receiving ample response on the interest check, I’ve decided to go ahead and start the group buy. This will be run for a little more than two weeks and close on Friday, May 12th. I will send out invoices as soon as the form is filled out and you’ll have till the sunday after the close date to pay it and orders will be submitted to the vendor on Monday the 15th.
PRICING If you participated in the IC, you probably have noticed the somewhat heavy price hike on the Aluminum/Acrylic 3 layer case, it was because the shipping weight (2.4kg) floated right over my head and I calculated it based on volumetric weight. I updated the price to reflect the shipping cost. The Final price will be the cost of the selected items plus shipping costs (I’ll be using USPS for most orders) and the 0.30+2.9% paypal fee which is calculated on the order and the shipping cost. Please leave a note if you would like a final quote before the invoice is sent out.

TIMELINE
I’m planning to run everything as quickly as possible so the GB time will be two weeks. I’m leaving three weeks for shipping although SF express tells me 6 working days at the most since their shipping times seem to be around 2 weeks.
Friday May 19th - GB Close
Sunday May 21st - Invoices Due
Friday July 24th - Recieve and Ship Orders

DESCRIPTION
The EEPW84 or the XD84 is a fully programmable, 75% keyboard with the Kimera core. Lots of layout and case options as well as RGB underglow support. You can build it with an ISO enter, split backspace, and a split left shift as well as other combos here and there. Both drop in plates as well as the standalone bent SS plate support switch top removal.

RESOURCES
Primary Layouts - Look at sample builds for other layouts
Translated Version of the Underside Diagram
tkg keymap generator
Feel Free to ask any questions in the comments below or by PMing me.

Pictures for case and plate options:http://imgur.com/a/eC3Yn

UPDATES BELOW:
The invoices will be sent out once the 50 unit MOQ has been reached. Right now we are at 20 units as of Friday the 28th.
I will be getting a second batch of samples in sometime hopefully next week to check QC and get some better pictures as well as some different builds for you guys. If they're not here by Monday, I will postpone the GB deadline till the week after on the 19th of May. It shouldn't cause any issues with the receiving date though so we should have an extra week to buy and I should still be able to get them shipped out as planned.

Because I overlooked the vendor's production times when writing and deciding the timeline, the products will be shipped out July 24th, about a month and a half later than expected. If that is too long of a wait for some, please contact me and I can refund or withdraw your invoice.

So the mobo on my computer died and now I'm without a computer to work on so invoices will be a little delayed since I'll be stuck with my macbook which is the slowest thing ever. I'll try and get things through to everyone this weekend though. The second round of samples will be here on friday so expect some clarification and exact dimensions over the weekend.

Ok, got my computer back up and running and am pc master race again. I'll be getting some more invoices written and sent this week.

Samples came in (and were accidentally delivered to my neighbor down the street) so I'll get some pictures of everything in as I get things built this week. I have [a board built on the steel plate](https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6b2gop/the_simplicity_of_steel/) and it looks pretty neat, just gotta get proper photos when the sun comes up. I'll probably have a "one week left post" up on monday with some of my photos of the samples that I've received.

FURTHER UPDATES CAN BE FOUND ON THE REDDIT PAGE BELOW

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/67kkxp/gb_eepw84_xd84_75_keyboard_kits_and_extras_25_pcbs/
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2017, 03:04:20 by reconsiderit »
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [GB] EEPW84 / XD84 PCBs, Cases, Plates, and extras - MOQ Reached
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 00:13:48 »
We've reached the 50 unit MOQ. This means that I'll start sending out invoices for the first 50 orders tomorrow. We still have a whole two weeks to go so I'm still taking order modifications and such.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Skull_Angel

Re: [GB] EEPW84 / XD84 Kits - $25 PCBs - MOQ Reached
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 05:58:47 »
A few of the pictures show 1.5/1/1.5 left-hand layout, but it's not listed on the primary layouts link. Can you confirm if it's possible?

Edit: I'm trying to look up info on the controler as well; it's a Kimera Core with ATmega32u4, yeah? New to building  :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 May 2017, 08:42:06 by Skull_Angel »

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 19:55:49 »
Just took a look at the PCB and it does support the 1.5/1/1.5 layout left of the spacebar

switchplate.co

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 21:04:32 »
Quick question, I apologise if this is specified/hinted at and it's just gone right over my head but where are the shipping (namely international in my case) prices at? They might be in the latter pages of the order form but I figured I'd ask before I move on from the 1st one.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 02:30:14 »
Just took a look at the PCB and it does support the 1.5/1/1.5 layout left of the spacebar

Sweet, thanks for checking.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 16:56:16 »
Quick question, I apologise if this is specified/hinted at and it's just gone right over my head but where are the shipping (namely international in my case) prices at? They might be in the latter pages of the order form but I figured I'd ask before I move on from the 1st one.

Go ahead and PM me about shipping, but for international orders, if you can keep it within the USPS first class restrictions (two keyboards, under 4 lbs), then it'll keep the costs down. The aluminum case itself is around 3 and a half pounds so if you can stay away from that, it'll keep your shipping costs down.

switchplate.co

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 02:38:10 »
Would it be possible to ship to a different address rather than PayPal? I will be moving soon and would like it sent there instead of my PP billing address

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 02:51:17 »
Would it be possible to ship to a different address rather than PayPal? I will be moving soon and would like it sent there instead of my PP billing address
Sure thing, just shoot me a PM or an email

switchplate.co

Offline ThatsFineThatOne

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 06:15:49 »

I ordered an aluminium case and shipping is $60 to the UK.

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 09:03:10 »

I ordered an aluminium case and shipping is $60 to the UK.

Thats expensive ;(

I think ordering through the taobao vendor's google form might be cheaper overall.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 16:12:29 »
IMPORTANT UPDATE: So because I completely overlooked the production time on the vendor side, I'll receive and start distributing Monday July 24th and not June 2nd. I know that this is quite a longer wait than expected so if anyone thinks that this is too long of a wait, send me a PM or an email and I can cancel your invoice or refund the payment.

Secondly, for those who are outside of the US and ordering an aluminum case, ordering directly though the vendor through taobao might be cheaper. Shipping out of the US restricts first class packages to under 4lbs total and everything above that is shipped through USPS priority mail which starts at $60.55 and goes up due to weight. Shipping is much less (20-30) if the package as a whole comes below 4lbs.

switchplate.co

Offline septha

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 01:09:24 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 May 2017, 01:28:47 by septha »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 16:14:31 »
Anyone know if I can build this kit without using a plate? Can I just screw the PCB onto the case or do the mounting points only exist on the plate?

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 17:40:11 »
Anyone know if I can build this kit without using a plate? Can I just screw the PCB onto the case or do the mounting points only exist on the plate?

Might depend on case but at least with the plastic one you could definitely do it without the plate.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 20:17:30 »

You'll be able to build this plateless with the aluminum and acrylic 3 layer case or the plastic case, but not the bent steel one.

switchplate.co

Offline Narcolepsy

Re: [GB] EEPW84 / XD84 Kits - $25 PCBs - CLOSING 5/19
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 22:13:52 »
Just wanted to let you know to go ahead with my order, just in case you didn't receive my reply to your email.

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [GB] EEPW84 / XD84 Kits - $25 PCBs - CLOSED - INVOICES DUE 5/21/17
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 04:30:44 »
Alright, so GB is closed and all invoices have been sent out. Invoices are due this tomorrow, on sunday the 21st, but if you need an extension for any reason and are for sure going to pay, fee free to ask for some sorta extension. Most people have paid. but there are still a handful that haven't been paid yet that I have sent a reminder for. Just a quick reminder though, orders can't be canceled once we pass monday so keep that in mind.

switchplate.co

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 04:14:20 »
looks well. :thumb:

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 04 June 2017, 22:56:45 »
So what do we use to program this thing? Does it use the winkeyless tool similar to the KBD75?

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 03:34:21 »
So what do we use to program this thing? Does it use the winkeyless tool similar to the KBD75?

Nope uses TMK :)

Offline ThatsFineThatOne

Re: [GB] EEPW84 / XD84 Kits - $25 PCBs - CLOSED - IN PRODUCTION
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 05:00:33 »
Is production running on schedule?

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [GB] EEPW84 / XD84 Kits - $25 PCBs - CLOSED - IN PRODUCTION
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 13:36:53 »
Is production running on schedule?

Just got an email today saying that the vendor miscalculated the shipping costs and it was around 400 bucks more than expected, so it turns out that they haven't shipped it out yet. I had expected for everything to arrive today but that doesn't look like the case so at worse, I'll start sorting and packing a week later than expected. I had promised that everything would be out my door on the 4th of august, but chances are pretty slim unless I can cram all the packing in between work. Might be able to though since I'm on summer vacation.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [GB] EEPW84 / XD84 Kits - $25 PCBs - CLOSED - SORTING AND SHIPPING
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 16:18:40 »
Quick update for those that haven't been checking the reddit page, but there are some issues with the aluminum cases as well as the plastic cases. Check the reddit GB page for more info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/67kkxp/gb_eepw84_xd84_75_keyboard_kits_and_extras_25_pcbs/

switchplate.co

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 21:19:28 »
Got mine in the mail. These will be good practice/temp boards! You shipped me Gateron Browns instead of Blacks, but no biggie, it'll add some variety to resale since I planned on selling them if I didn't end up destroying them learning to solder properly, haha.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 00:04:52 »
I'd be interested in any of the low profile alu cases if any one has a spare =)

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 02:47:53 »
Finally got one put together and screwed with the programming. I just messed with a few binds using the Chrome TGK plug-in; well, all the keys work, but no backlighting anymore. Not concerned about it, but it'd be nice to get it working properly for resale, haha.

This is what I'm working with if anyone has an idea about what's up.

Code: [Select]
[
  {"name": "XD84默认配列","author": "xiudi","notes": "\"0\":[\"ACTION_LAYER_MOMENTARY\",1],\"1\":[\"ACTION_BACKLIGHT_TOGGLE\"],\"2\":[\"ACTION_BACKLIGHT_DECREASE\"],\"3\":[\"ACTION_BACKLIGHT_INCREASE\"],\"4\":[\"ACTION_FUNCTION\",0,3],\"5\":[\"ACTION_FUNCTION\",0,1],\"6\":[\"ACTION_FUNCTION\",0,2],\"7\":[\"ACTION_FUNCTION\",0,4],\"8\":[\"ACTION_FUNCTION\",0,5],\"9\":[\"ACTION_FUNCTION\",0,0]"},
["Esc\n\n\n\nFn9","F1","F2","F3","F4","F5","F6","F7","F8","F9","F10","F11","F12","PrtSc","ScrLk","Pause\nBreak"],
["~\n`","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{"w": 2},"Backspace","Delete\n\n\n\nInsert"],
[{"w": 1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{"w": 1.5},"|\n\\","Page Up"],
[{"w": 1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{"w": 2.25},"Enter","Page Down"],
[{ "w": 2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C\n\n\n\nFn2","V\n\n\n\nFn1","B\n\n\n\nFn3","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{"w": 1.75},"RShift\n\n\n\nFn4","↑\n\n\n\nFn7","End\n\n\n\nHome"],
[{"w": 1.25},"Ctrl",{"w": 1.25},"Win",{"w": 1.25},"Alt",{"w": 6.25},"Space","RAlt","Fn0","RCtrl","←\n\n\n\nFn5","↓\n\n\n\nFn8","→\n\n\n\nFn6"]
]

Some data may have been corrupted it seems; SM Bus Controler, USB Controler, Unknown Device all pop-up with yellow (!) after plugging in the board.