Author Topic: [IC] GMK Pristine (BoW Black on White, L9 runs first, WS1 soon^tm)  (Read 54534 times)

Offline Indiana_Jones

Re: [IC] GMK Pristine (BoW Black on White, L9 runs first, WS1 soon^tm)
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 01:16:29 »
Hello, I am one of the co-founder of zFrontier. We received several emails from our users about this discussion here. So I would like to chime in on this discussion.

First of all, I apologize for not actively participating in discussions here on GH before. Our main market is still in China, and we have a community forum which is only in Chinese. As a result, we are kind of disconnected with the mainstream western community here.

We started our first GMK group buy in late 2016 on our China website, and received a sizable amount of interest from buyers outside China, who contacted us to ask if they can join the GB (as our Chinese fulfillment requires an address in China). We addressed this need by collecting their information on a Google sheet. After a couple of GBs, with an increasing number of buyers out of China, we set up our English site in Feb. 2017.

Group buys of keysets operate in a quite different way in China. Other than our Chinese website, we have several QQ groups (an online instant messenger) of about 2000 people each. And discussions are active almost 24/7. This is something that people out of China, who don’t use QQ, are probably not used to.  We collect information and do our sort of IC in this manner, taking community feedback in real time.

That is why some of you might think our GBs are “abnormal” , showing up seemingly out of the blue with no ICs on GH or Reddit. This is something that we are trying to improve. With the help of some of the members here, we have done several ICs on GH and Reddit for recent key sets from GMK, Maxkey and JTK. Of course, there are still a lot of things we need to improve to better serve buyers out of China, and I really appreciate the feedback and advices from GH.

For international buyers, we ship everything via DHL from China, and the shipping fee is free for orders over $100 (all GMK sets are with free shipping). For order below $100, the shipping fee is only $16.8 flat, which is way lower than the actual cost we pay to DHL.

The reason why we are subsidizing the shipping fee is related to the goal and our understanding of the market. We are trying to lower the threshold (price, lead time, and uncertainty) of buying customized items for enthusiasts so that the aggregate demand will be enlarged and that attracts more suppliers, and this builds a positive feedback loop which will eventually improve the overall efficiency of this niche market (more options, lower prices, decenteralized).

For the Raindrop set. Like all other GBs we run, it started with the request of a group buy leader, and this guy is well-known in community in China. He had contacted SP about this set for several months, and then asked us whether we can host this GB.

Actually the group buy had been listed for no more than 24 hours, when we got feedback about the authorization issue, we took the GB down immediately, and refunded the participants.

We take the full responsibility of not having done due diligence check about the authorization of this set. We took it for granted that the group buy leader had authorization and then got the quotes. We don't mean to blame any single party for this incidence as the fault does lie with us for not verifying the situation with the designer ourselves. Please understand that it is not in line with our interests to conduct any unauthorized group buy. We have redesigned our internal flow of hosting GBs to prevent similar occurrence from happening in the future.

I would like to apologize for the controversy that our past actions have caused. We are striving to improve our services for keyboard communities everywhere, not just in China. It has been a learning process. Feedback on how we’re doing would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to interacting and possibly even collaborating with many of you in the future. Thank you for your time in reading this long-winded post, and I hope it has helped to clear some things up here.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 September 2017, 01:53:26 by Indiana_Jones »

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #201 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 03:01:24 »
Hello, I am one of the co-founder of zFrontier. We received several emails from our users about this discussion here. So I would like to chime in on this discussion.

First of all, I apologize for not actively participating in discussions here on GH before. Our main market is still in China, and we have a community forum which is only in Chinese. As a result, we are kind of disconnected with the mainstream western community here.

We started our first GMK group buy in late 2016 on our China website, and received a sizable amount of interest from buyers outside China, who contacted us to ask if they can join the GB (as our Chinese fulfillment requires an address in China). We addressed this need by collecting their information on a Google sheet. After a couple of GBs, with an increasing number of buyers out of China, we set up our English site in Feb. 2017.

Group buys of keysets operate in a quite different way in China. Other than our Chinese website, we have several QQ groups (an online instant messenger) of about 2000 people each. And discussions are active almost 24/7. This is something that people out of China, who don’t use QQ, are probably not used to.  We collect information and do our sort of IC in this manner, taking community feedback in real time.

That is why some of you might think our GBs are “abnormal” , showing up seemingly out of the blue with no ICs on GH or Reddit. This is something that we are trying to improve. With the help of some of the members here, we have done several ICs on GH and Reddit for recent key sets from GMK, Maxkey and JTK. Of course, there are still a lot of things we need to improve to better serve buyers out of China, and I really appreciate the feedback and advices from GH.

For international buyers, we ship everything via DHL from China, and the shipping fee is free for orders over $100 (all GMK sets are with free shipping). For order below $100, the shipping fee is only $16.8 flat, which is way lower than the actual cost we pay to DHL.

The reason why we are subsidizing the shipping fee is related to the goal and our understanding of the market. We are trying to lower the threshold (price, lead time, and uncertainty) of buying customized items for enthusiasts so that the aggregate demand will be enlarged and that attracts more suppliers, and this builds a positive feedback loop which will eventually improve the overall efficiency of this niche market (more options, lower prices, decenteralized).

For the Raindrop set. Like all other GBs we run, it started with the request of a group buy leader, and this guy is well-known in community in China. He had contacted SP about this set for several months, and then asked us whether we can host this GB.

Actually the group buy had been listed for no more than 24 hours, when we got feedback about the authorization issue, we took the GB down immediately, and refunded the participants.

We take the full responsibility of not having done due diligence check about the authorization of this set. We took it for granted that the group buy leader had authorization and then got the quotes. We don't mean to blame any single party for this incidence as the fault does lie with us for not verifying the situation with the designer ourselves. Please understand that it is not in line with our interests to conduct any unauthorized group buy. We have redesigned our internal flow of hosting GBs to prevent similar occurrence from happening in the future.

I would like to apologize for the controversy that our past actions have caused. We are striving to improve our services for keyboard communities everywhere, not just in China. It has been a learning process. Feedback on how we’re doing would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to interacting and possibly even collaborating with many of you in the future. Thank you for your time in reading this long-winded post, and I hope it has helped to clear some things up here.

For being transparent and honest to the community can you tell us the geekhack username of the designer?

Hiding the plagiarist and cheater does not make any excuses for me, because you can call him designer but in reallity he could belong to zFrontiers.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 September 2017, 03:15:12 by T0mb3ry »

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #202 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 04:26:50 »

For being transparent and honest to the community can you tell us the geekhack username of the designer?

Hiding the plagiarist and cheater does not make any excuses for me, because you can call him designer but in reallity he could belong to zFrontiers.

You assume the designer has any presence on geekhack at all. My assumption is he means the guy is well known in China. I doubt he uses GH much if at all.

I’m not really sure what the issue is here. Let’s not even get into the idea behind owning a colorway to begin with. They started a GB at the request of their much larger Chinese community. They found out the designer didn’t have permission to run the gb so they cancelled it and refunded the money.

Sure they should do a better job vetting before they start, but you cannot possibly think the original intent was malicious. Ignorant sure, but you need to recognize there is a massive divide between the communities. Of the 160 sets that sold of raindrop, only 25% came from countries other than us and sk. There is a perfectly good chance most people in China would have had no clue that there was an issue at all. When they were informed they did what they should.

Saying the designer could belong to zFrontier is like saying you belong to MassDrop.

I’ll totally buy WS1 from zFrontier or wherever sells it. I just don’t care about L9 one bit. I’m kinda curious if L9 isn’t selling as well as hoped since I think there are a lot of people on both sides that want just their specific color and not any of the others (L9, CP, WS1). I bet both colors will have a more difficult time hitting moq. This set is also not helped by 9009 about to run too.

But regardless, raindrop has nothing to do with this thread or this set. Pristine was designed in thread and the designer is working with zFrontier, so there should be no issue. If you blacklist anyone or any business that ever makes a mistake you will end up the richest guy alive with literally nothing to spend money on.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #203 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 04:38:08 »

You assume the designer has any presence on geekhack at all. My assumption is he means the guy is well known in China. I doubt he uses GH much if at all.

I’m not really sure what the issue is here. Let’s not even get into the idea behind owning a colorway to begin with. They started a GB at the request of their much larger Chinese community. They found out the designer didn’t have permission to run the gb so they cancelled it and refunded the money.

Sure they should do a better job vetting before they start, but you cannot possibly think the original intent was malicious. Ignorant sure, but you need to recognize there is a massive divide between the communities. Of the 160 sets that sold of raindrop, only 25% came from countries other than us and sk. There is a perfectly good chance most people in China would have had no clue that there was an issue at all. When they were informed they did what they should.

Saying the designer could belong to zFrontier is like saying you belong to MassDrop.

I’ll totally buy WS1 from zFrontier or wherever sells it. I just don’t care about L9 one bit. I’m kinda curious if L9 isn’t selling as well as hoped since I think there are a lot of people on both sides that want just their specific color and not any of the others (L9, CP, WS1). I bet both colors will have a more difficult time hitting moq. This set is also not helped by 9009 about to run too.

But regardless, raindrop has nothing to do with this thread or this set. Pristine was designed in thread and the designer is working with zFrontier, so there should be no issue. If you blacklist anyone or any business that ever makes a mistake you will end up the richest guy alive with literally nothing to spend money on.

I got reminder that the "designer" was user toxic. He is indeed not here active as far as i know.

But what i know there is a geekhack user who knows about Raindrop and given that he tried to convince SP that he has the permission. I will not call the username yet and probably i will call it never.

The thing is, it was done on purpose and i dont know which relationship does this person has with zFrontier. Since they say they work the same as Massdrop then it is clear the designer permitted the design and the seller has done the negotiation. The whole problem lies in that particular negotiation in which they or that geekhack user tried to convince SP about authorization.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 06:03:06 »

You stole my words lul, i agree on every single word in your comment, the bold part is what we should print on a paper and send physically to everyone making drama out of it.   

The thing is, it was done on purpose and i dont know which relationship does this person has with zFrontier. Since they say they work the same as Massdrop then it is clear the designer permitted the design and the seller has done the negotiation. The whole problem lies in that particular negotiation in which they or that geekhack user tried to convince SP about authorization.

Well T0mb3ry, afaik that dude is not a guy working for zFrontier, zF usually accepts ICs/GBs from people, they usually don't do something on their own, they just accept designs/new GBs from people requests.  You can just design a set, do a IC, show them the IC and they will make it (and you will be what they call "Group Buy Leader"). 

In fact the GB was deleted, this is what matters. Surely they could have made a better job to carefully check before starting the GB but whatever, they tried to fix that and they did.     
I mean, if you really want to blame zF for that, at this point you have to blame SP too because they gived out the pricing/permission without carefully checking it (or they got tricked into it by that user). 

This actually reminds me of when Massdrop did the GB of Sprit products and later when people complained for this cooperation with a not-fully trustworthy person, Massdrop closed the GB and our reaction was to clap-clap at Massdrop, saying they did a good job.   
Wasn't this a similar situation (or even worse)? Did we implied that Sprit  was working directly for Massdrop, we condemned to death Massdrop for that? No, we didn't.     
Basically MD did the same exact mistake, not checking properly before starting a GB, happens, what they did later is what matters. 

Said that, if you want to condemn a seller (zF) for that, you are free to do it, but for the same reasons you shouldn't run your sets via Massdrop.  If we want to judge heavily every single small mistake like you are doing with zF,  we should have burned down Massdrop time ago and we didn't. 

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 September 2017, 06:06:12 by KaosJ »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 06:22:30 »
Well T0mb3ry, afaik that dude is not a guy working for zFrontier, in fact zF is usually accpeting ICs/GBs from people, they usually don't do something on their own, they just accept designs/new GBs from people requests.  You can just design a set, do a IC, show them the IC and they will make it (and you will be what they call "Group Buy Leader"). 

The GB was deleted later when zF found out that. Surely they could have made a better job to carefully check before starting the GB but whatever, they tried to fix that and they did.     
I mean, if you really want to blame zF for that, at this point you have to blame SP too because they gived out the pricing/permission without carefully checking it (or they got tricked into it by that user). 

This actually reminds me of when Massdrop did the GB of Sprit products and later when people complained for this cooperation with a not-fully trustworthy person, Massdrop closed the GB and our reaction was to clap-clap at Massdrop, saying they did a good job.   
Wasn't this a similar situation (or even worse)? Did we implied that Sprit  was working directly for Massdrop, we condemned to death Massdrop for that? No, we didn't.     
Basically MD did the same exact mistake, not checking properly before starting a GB, happens, what they did later is what matters. 

Said that, if you want to condemn a seller (zF) for that, you are free to do it, but for the same reasons you shouldn't run your sets via Massdrop.  If we want to judge heavily every single small mistake like you are doing with zF,  we should have burned down Massdrop time ago and we didn't. 

The question is who is responsible for negotiation with SP. I think its the responsibility of the seller. Or does zFrontier let third persons do the negotiations?

The thing that they stopped the GB immediately was definitely a necessary move. I am not questioning this. As i said previously it was the negotiation with SP which is pretty shady. The person asked for the MOQ and pricing claiming from the start to SP they had the permission from Raindrop designer which was not the case. And the person is pretty active here on GH.

But i guess you know that dude too, which negotiated with SP. So maybe you have more info on that. But the given info moves for me zFrontier in a bad light. Maybe zFrontier can confirm that they have nothing to do with the negotiation part i am talking about.

And reagarding my keysets i do think its solely up to me where to run these.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 07:45:36 »
Well T0mb3ry, afaik that dude is not a guy working for zFrontier, in fact zF is usually accpeting ICs/GBs from people, they usually don't do something on their own, they just accept designs/new GBs from people requests.  You can just design a set, do a IC, show them the IC and they will make it (and you will be what they call "Group Buy Leader"). 

The GB was deleted later when zF found out that. Surely they could have made a better job to carefully check before starting the GB but whatever, they tried to fix that and they did.     

The question is who is responsible for negotiation with SP. I think its the responsibility of the seller. Or does zFrontier let third persons do the negotiations?

The thing that they stopped the GB immediately was definitely a necessary move. I am not questioning this. As i said previously it was the negotiation with SP which is pretty shady. The person asked for the MOQ and pricing claiming from the start to SP they had the permission from Raindrop designer which was not the case. And the person is pretty active here on GH.

But i guess you know that dude too, which negotiated with SP. So maybe you have more info on that. But the given info moves for me zFrontier in a bad light. Maybe zFrontier can confirm that they have nothing to do with the negotiation part i am talking about.

And reagarding my keysets i do think its solely up to me where to run these.

Right now i don't know who is that "dude", i guess i can figure it out if i want, but is not really a matter for me in this moment (feel free to pm it btw). 
Since we don't know exactly who was the first guy "stealing" the design and what he did exactly (toxic or?), i don't feel to blame who asked for the MOQ/Pricing like you are directly implying, since these could be 2 different persons and "the dude" asking the MOQ to SP could have been tricked as well from the original "stealer of the design".   

For example the whole thing might have gone this way:   

• Chinese dude stealing the design
  • Stealer asking another guy familiar with english to ask pricings/MOQs to SP, claiming with that guy that he is the designer
  • Getting back with prices
  • zF unknown of everything just start the GB

... and still this could be just a random guess. 

I just don't feel to blame zF, i don't feel to blame the guy asking for prices, unless you know more about it and how the whole thing happened. 

I think that whoever was involved in this, you still should blame SP more than others, SP was supposed to block this before happening and not providing prices, warning whoever contacted them that they are not going to produce that set. It doesn't make sense to me that anyone can write to SP and say "Hey Melissa, I have the permission of the original Designer". If this is true, it is a big problem on SP part. 

Also my example of your sets wasn't an accusation toward you lol (sorry if you get it this way), it was just an example where we are ready to kill zF for every single stupid mistake, where basically every seller made bigger or smaller mistakes. Even the most popular and biggest shop did mistakes, Massdrop did tons of mistakes and shady things (and mine was just one example, where we even congratulated them when they fixed their mistake). 
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 September 2017, 07:48:13 by KaosJ »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 08:33:54 »
Sharing facts show commitment from the vendor and people should understand that previous group buys do not have to do with this at all. Keep things in-topic.

Color combinations cannot be own or patent. Color combinations are not intelectual property and someone that defines a color combination cannot be called a designer, even less if she creates it with community feedback. People who ask for permission to use a particular color-way do that out of courtesy and etiquette, but such diligence is not legally required. Designers who create icons and art work are of course de-facto owners of them and designs like those are actually intelectual property.

Offline zslane

« Reply #208 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 10:34:28 »
People who ask for permission to use a particular color-way do that out of courtesy and etiquette, but such diligence is not legally required.

While true, there is a sort of code of conduct expected from prospective designers in this (the western) mech enthusiast community. Courtesy and etiquette is expected if you, as a prospective designer, want to maintain the goodwill and respect of the community. It is the lack of courtesy and respect for previous creative work, even if that work is primarily in the form of an interesting colorway, that gets folks here reaching for their torches and pitchforks. Prospective designers, regardless of their country of origin, would do well to understand this before copying any salient design elements from a previous (especially well-known) keycap set.

tl;dr
The legalities are irrelevant. This is about courtesy, etiquette, and respect, or the lack shown thereof towards the creative work of previous designers. The message isn't, "Stop that, it's illegal," but rather, "Stop that, you're being a disrespectful ****."

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #209 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 11:12:27 »
People who ask for permission to use a particular color-way do that out of courtesy and etiquette, but such diligence is not legally required.

While true, there is a sort of code of conduct expected from prospective designers in this (the western) mech enthusiast community. Courtesy and etiquette is expected if you, as a prospective designer, want to maintain the goodwill and respect of the community. It is the lack of courtesy and respect for previous creative work, even if that work is primarily in the form of an interesting colorway, that gets folks here reaching for their torches and pitchforks. Prospective designers, regardless of their country of origin, would do well to understand this before copying any salient design elements from a previous (especially well-known) keycap set.

tl;dr
The legalities are irrelevant. This is about courtesy, etiquette, and respect, or the lack shown thereof towards the creative work of previous designers. The message isn't, "Stop that, it's illegal," but rather, "Stop that, you're being a disrespectful ****."

Courtesy comes first in our realm, that is true and should be enforced. However, this has to be put in perspective, color combinations, unless they are part of a trademark branding cannot be copyrighted, neither considered intellectual property. These are facts and they are undisputed. Courtesy and respect are also different, courtesy is given out of kindness, respect should be earned. Keep all these elements in harmony, otherwise we can burn the ships for nothing. One more time, keep this in topic.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #210 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 11:14:47 »
One more time, keep this in topic.

^ this  :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 04:13:06 »

For example the whole thing might have gone this way:   

• Chinese dude stealing the design
  • Stealer asking another guy familiar with english to ask pricings/MOQs to SP, claiming with that guy that he is the designer
  • Getting back with prices
  • zF unknown of everything just start the GB

... and still this could be just a random guess. 

The negotiator was shower_king.

Since i know people from chinese community, they told me that shower_king is one of the zFrontier founders. What makes him an official from zFrontier.

So if you review shower kings account he is active here since 2014 and what means he knew already about Raindrop. You cant say he could not knew Raindrop. No he sells Keysets and he is active in interest checks. And for everyone who joined this hobby at that time, its obvious you learn to know about sets like Deep Space, Penumbra and etc. Anyway Raindrop is very well known set here and there is no way shower king could not know about Raindrop.

Giving these infos:
 - shower king is an official from zFrontier
 - shower king must have known about Raindrop
he goes to SP and asks for MOQ and Pricings and claims he has the permission from original designer. Asking for MOQ and Pricing is not a biggy but claiming to have permission is already bad move from him.
Despite him knowing they dont have any permission they rush into GB. And this is the **** move from their side. That fact makes them shady for me. And after zFrontier was accused making a rogue run of Raindrop - They are like "Oh sorry we didn't knew". No they knew and it was done all on purpose.

I just don't feel to blame zF, i don't feel to blame the guy asking for prices, unless you know more about it and how the whole thing happened. 

I think that whoever was involved in this, you still should blame SP more than others, SP was supposed to block this before happening and not providing prices, warning whoever contacted them that they are not going to produce that set. It doesn't make sense to me that anyone can write to SP and say "Hey Melissa, I have the permission of the original Designer". If this is true, it is a big problem on SP part. 

Also my example of your sets wasn't an accusation toward you lol (sorry if you get it this way), it was just an example where we are ready to kill zF for every single stupid mistake, where basically every seller made bigger or smaller mistakes. Even the most popular and biggest shop did mistakes, Massdrop did tons of mistakes and shady things (and mine was just one example, where we even congratulated them when they fixed their mistake).

We do all mistakes what lies in our human nature. Big companies do mistakes too and **** happens. However we should devide between things which do happen unintentional and things which are done on purpose. In this case it was done on purpose which is a rogue move.

Anyway i dont want to discuss this drama here further and i want to apologize by TS. If i would knew this would escalate in such drama i wouldn't have said nothing. Sometimes its wise to say nothing. However since it started here, i had to bring it to the point and let you know that happened at that time.

I like this set. But i cant support zFrontier at this point. Sorry.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 October 2017, 04:15:33 by T0mb3ry »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 05:16:41 »
I will not call the username yet and probably i will call it never.

> and you just called it

I don't honestly know if your info are correct but i give you the benefit of the doubt. I do believe you might be right about him working for zF seeing his post history. 
However i would let you notice a thing and later i will stop because really there is no point to run in other people defense like the devil's advocate since this set has nothing to do with them. 

So not defending shower_king or anything, but you might be wrong on something, by checking their history.

You cant say he could not knew Raindrop.

Knowing it doesn't mean to know who was the designer, see this:

Raindrop GB starts:  Thu, 21 February 2013, 01:28:03
Raindrop post LAST BUMP:  Thu, 19 December 2013, 00:27:01 
shower_king Date Registered:  Thu, 05 June 2014, 00:49:43   
shower_king first comment: Thu, 30 October 2014, 01:35:01 
shower_king starting to be active: Later in 2015... 

Now, as you can see, 19 December 2013 was literally the last post on the Raindrop GB, the day when this post started to shift down and disappear, not bumping anymore.  Having this date in mind:

shower_king registered 6 months later. 
shower_king did his first comment 9 months later.   
shower_king started to be active like you say more than 1 yeah later. 

Now i just saw there was a GB from China in 31 July 2015 for Raindrop in DSA. Here is the link. Not sure who is that OP (can't confirm that) but as you can see shower_king is one of the people that joined the GB (or that wanted to join the GB). 

Given these dates, can't you just assume that shower_king saw that post on that chinese site from that OP and not here on geekhack?   

Again, you stil didn't commented on the why SP gived the quotes and the initial OK, why aren't you blaming SP as well? 

EDIT: also this comment in the GB of the Raindrop could be relevant to you: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89723.msg2444764#msg2444764
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 October 2017, 05:22:45 by KaosJ »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 05:33:44 »

> and you just called it
Note the probably word.

I don't honestly know if your info are correct but i give you the benefit of the doubt. I do believe you might be right about him working for zF seeing his post history. 
However i would let you notice a thing and later i will stop because really there is no point to run in other people defense like the devil's advocate since this set has nothing to do with them. 

So not defending shower_king or anything, but you might be wrong on something, by checking their history.

Now, as you can see, 19 December 2013 was literally the last post on the Raindrop GB, the day when this post started to shift down and disappear, not bumping anymore.  Having this date in mind:

Now i just saw there was a GB from China in 31 July 2015 for Raindrop in DSA. Here is the link. Not sure who is that OP (can't confirm that) but as you can see shower_king is one of the people that joined the GB (or that wanted to join the GB). 

Given these dates, can't you just assume that shower_king saw that post on that chinese site from that OP and not here on geekhack?   

Again, you stil didn't commented on the why SP gived the quotes and the initial OK, why aren't you blaming SP as well? 

EDIT: also this comment in the GB of the Raindrop could be relevant to you: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89723.msg2444764#msg2444764

Look i joined GH in 2015 and since i work with keysets i know almost every major set done here. Deep Space, Penumbra, Raindrop etc. many of these sets were done before i joined this community. I know them all. Many people here know these sets because these are the community classics. Since he sells keysets he must have known Raindrop. Even by hearing. Raindrop is really well known. Just saying. Its impossible joining GH being active this long, working on keysets and not knowing about Raindrop.

By the way DSA Raidnrop was also a rogue run.

This is my last response here in this regard. Everyone can read the discussion and make his own conclusion. People can argue around the given info as they like.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 October 2017, 05:35:20 by T0mb3ry »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 05:51:07 »
Look i joined GH in 2015 and since i work with keysets i know almost every major set done here. Deep Space, Penumbra, Raindrop etc. many of these sets were done before i joined this community. I know them all. Many people here know these sets because these are the community classics. Since he sells keysets he must have known Raindrop. Even by hearing. Raindrop is really well known. Just saying. Its impossible joining GH being active this long, working on keysets and not knowing about Raindrop.

By the way DSA Raidnrop was also a rogue run.

This is my last response here in this regard. Everyone can read the discussion and make his own conclusion. People can argue around the given info as they like.

I agree even if you can't assume this for everyone, what i wanted to show you is that knowing a keyset doesn't mean knowing the original designer, for this I showed all the timestamps, especially because i do believe he saw that set for the first time on that china shady GB, not here on Geekhack, so he might have thought initially that this set was designed in China, or that the other guy of DSA Raindrop could do that set with no problem. 

Peace T0mb3ry  ;D   

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 05:52:03 »

> and you just called it

Didn't the raindrop ic thread say the set had been designed by "Toxic in China"? To me it seems like whoever Toxic is went to zFrontier to have them run his GB and told them he had permission to run or had designed raindrop. zFrontier in turn went to SP and requested a quote which they were in turn provided. Perhaps at some point SP even asked "do you have permission from the designer" but its totally possible they genuinely thought that they did if they were told Toxic was the designer. Regardless, SP then provided a quote back to zFrontier, which gave them the impression they were good to go.

I totally understand why people are frustrated by this, but to me it seems like vetting who can run what colorways is the responsibility of the people who are actually making them (SP), not the various different GB runners. You can't expect zFrontier or MassDrop or Originative or any other vendor to keep track of every single group buy everyone else is running.

Also, let's not ignore the fact that while the concept was identical, the design WAS NOT. The SA raindrop set they were trying to run had new icons that while similar to the original GB were not the same. Even if the original designer had an actual full fledged copyright on his raindrop design, the SA raindrop set would meet the requirements to be classified as a derivative work (the same rules that allow youtube to be full of music covers).

@T0mb3ry, do you have ANY actual evidence that zFrontier acted maliciously? Do you have ANY evidence that there is any risk of this GB not being fulfilled? Or is this just rampant speculation based on gossip and rumor? If there is evidence, it might make sense to discuss it, if however there is not, I feel like you are being extremely disrespectful to the set designer by attacking his group buy because you don't like the runner he chose. If you wanna PM him and complain, that makes sense, but no one ****s on you for working with massdrop.

At this point your feelings on what runner to choose don't matter, the GB has already started. So the question then becomes do you believe that zFrontier can and will fulfill any orders they receive? I fully believe that they will, if you believe otherwise, then please share and explain why you feel as such, if however your only objections are ideological then please try and find a more appropriate avenue to voice your concerns.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #216 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 06:08:26 »
Didn't the raindrop ic thread say the set had been designed by "Toxic in China"? To me it seems like whoever Toxic is went to zFrontier to have them run his GB and told them he had permission to run or had designed raindrop. zFrontier in turn went to SP and requested a quote which they were in turn provided. Perhaps at some point SP even asked "do you have permission from the designer" but its totally possible they genuinely thought that they did if they were told Toxic was the designer. Regardless, SP then provided a quote back to zFrontier, which gave them the impression they were good to go

This is what i think as well, you got the point.  I mean there are tons of ways this whole thing could have gone behind the scene and i don't really like to assume speculations as facts like T0mb3ry does. 

If we want to assume that:   
- shower_king knew about Raindrop but not who was the real original designer
- shower_king works for zF 
- zF is a group of persons  and when i say zF i mean any of the people in charge deciding for GBs 

Things could have gone in this way (..or not): 

Toxic to zF> zF to shower_king for pricing>shower_king to SP (*)> SP pricing to shower_king> GB 

The (*) is the problem, where actually could have been a huge misunderstandings due the previous events and we are heavily judging it for no reason. 

I totally understand why people are frustrated by this, but to me it seems like vetting who can run what colorways is the responsibility of the people who are actually making them (SP), not the various different GB runners. You can't expect zFrontier or MassDrop or Originative or any other vendor to keep track of every single group buy everyone else is running.

This is what i don't get from all the previous complains, if we want to blame anyone, SP should be in the top of that list.   

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 October 2017, 06:22:03 by KaosJ »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 09:51:07 »
GB Thread is live.  Please continue discussion there:

GMK Pristine (Black on White)
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91796.0

GLWGB! :thumb: