Author Topic: Hi Everyone! :D  (Read 3521 times)

Offline jeff747

Hi Everyone! :D
« on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 08:05:59 »
Hey everyone, a new member here from S. Korea.

I've started out keyboards as a hobby of mine only about 6 months ago. Since then, I've gotten myself to buy a Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja in the Italian Red colourway with MX blues, a Xiaomi MK01 (just for fun, has TTC: MX red clone switches), and finally, a Leopold FC980C.

Although I game on exclusively my Filcos, my favourite to type on by far is the Topre switch'd FC980C. Meanwhile, I have found out that I don't enjoy any of the linear switches I've tried so far such as the MX Reds or the Blacks. The next switch type I want to buy is the MX browns.

I also have a similar "collecting" hobby with shoes and audio equipment.
To sum things up, I have been reading up Geek Hack for a while now and I'm just glad I finally got around to sign up :)

Offline raxander

Re: Hi Everyone! :D
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 10:07:37 »
Welcome!  I'm going to guess you won't like the Browns as well as the Topre switches.  Browns are really soft, and the "tactile" bump is not very noticeable.  If you think the browns are too soft your next step might be Clears because they're stiffer with a more pronounced bump.  But there are a bunch of new-ish tactile switches like MOD, Zealios, and the upcoming Halo True switches from Input Club. Have fun!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 19:51:58 »
Welcome :)

MX Browns are basically just scratchy linears IMO :p :))

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline jeff747

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 03:35:40 »
Welcome!  I'm going to guess you won't like the Browns as well as the Topre switches.  Browns are really soft, and the "tactile" bump is not very noticeable.  If you think the browns are too soft your next step might be Clears because they're stiffer with a more pronounced bump.  But there are a bunch of new-ish tactile switches like MOD, Zealios, and the upcoming Halo True switches from Input Club. Have fun!

Yeah I have been looking into the clears or zealios recently because a lot of people seem to feel that way about mx browns. However, just because of the fact that I am living in Korea atm and I am new to the hobby, I'm not really sure where to be able to try those switches out. But then again, it might be worth a shot to get a popular recommendation anyways :p

I'm rather tentative to do so though because I found out that what I read or hear from others don't really apply to me in many cases. When I went to try out different Topres before I got my FC980C, I heard great things about Realforces, 55g switches in general, the FC660C, and more. Turns out my favourite by far happens to be the FC980C which isn't most people's favs and I don't really enjoy any of the Realforces at all... Also, the FC660C's weight was too much for my fingers over long periods of typing and 55g Topres as well in general. Given this, I don't know if I should tackle the various zealios or MODs since they're often quite heavy weight, being over 45g in most cases. I end up feeling that I need to do more research and try them out myself. Since I will be moving back to North America in a year or so, I hope to get to try them out at a meetup or something :D Cheers!

(realizes I've ranted far too much by now)

Offline jeff747

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 03:43:43 »
Welcome :)

MX Browns are basically just scratchy linears IMO :p :))

Thanks! :D
I've come to find that most keyboards have me feeling that way about MX Browns as well but Leopold's just released FC750R PDs felt really nice with Browns and since FC660M's are supposed to release as PD editions as well in the near future, I am patiently waiting for those for now. However, I do have a feeling I will end up with Zealios or Clears or something of that sort on a custom keyboard sooner or later... hue hue hue

Offline raxander

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 08:36:44 »
I don't know if I should tackle the various zealios or MODs since they're often quite heavy weight, being over 45g in most cases.

Bear in mind that some switches are rated for bottom-out force, and others by force at the actuation force.  You can't tell how it's going to feel from one number, but if you look at the whole force curve you might get a better idea.  Here's an interesting graph:
http://www.billybuerger.com/pub/HaloSwitchCompare.png

That's a busy graph, but it shows clearly what the Zealio concept is: basically take the Clear and replace the spring with a lighter one, so the whole force curve is shifted lower but you get the same shape tactile "bump" from the slider design. "Ergo clear" is the same concept.

But you're right, there's no substitute for trying it out.  And that is why this hobby can be darn expensive!