Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 3635 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Stellaris
« on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 16:37:47 »
This game looks kind of interesting, and the Leviathan dlc directly appeals to my interests in impossibly large alien creatures. I can't really tell what type of game it is though, is it single player? Is it anything like EVE, or closer to Civ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Stellaris
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 16:44:25 »
It looks like a very serious spreadsheet sim.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 07:05:23 »
I wouldn't say it looks like EVE, probably more like CIV then between those two.
It's a great game, both single and multiplayer.
It's a 4X game.
From the wiki:
"Stellaris's gameplay revolves around space exploration, managing an empire, and diplomacy and warfare with other spacefaring civilizations."

Offline nugglets

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 07:10:46 »
It's honestly my favorite 4X game of the last few years. I haven't tried any of the DLC, but the base game itself is really cool.

I think the thing I like about it most is that, unlike the last Civ game I played, what you research next is mostly down to RNG. At the end of each research phase in each category, you get a couple of choices that are basically random. So there is no clear path to victory or ability to quickly target an OP build, meaning the game is different every single time. There are still pre-requisites to different tech, obviously, and there are other ways to target them by searching out specific resources and such, but in general you can't just rush to dominance without a ton of luck.

Another interesting feature is the ability to discover primitive civilizations on a planet. You have the option of monitoring them from space, and maybe they eventually become advanced enough to start exploring on their own. Or you can go down and hand them the keys to space travel and see how it goes. Or you can just destroy them iirc, though it's been awhile since I played it tbh. Can make for some interesting scenarios, and politically the options all have ramifications at "home" based on your species / political system.

All in all it's a really well done game that moves away from other 4X enough to be different, but keeps enough of the concepts to be familiar and easy to pick up for anyone who has any experience in the genre.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 September 2017, 07:17:05 by nugglets »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 13:09:12 »
I broke down and grabbed it yesterday. Should I pick up Synthetic Dawn as well, I see it changes some things about the base game.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 14:49:54 »
This game is siiiiiiiiiiiiick. In many ways it's better than CIV. If Civ could take the universal expanse of this and incorporate it to their mechanics it would be the perfect 4x.

For example - you'd have like 3 levels of 'world' - In a regular Civ game you only have the 1 terrestrial world map, but I'm thinking the same base mechanics of a Civ title but with the ability to "zoom out" your level of perception as your technology advances. So the next levels would be Galaxy and Universal.

Stellaris is a bit too wordy and politics-heavy for my personal tastes, and I prefer the action-oriented progression of something like Civ or AoE's gameplay, and the notion of galactic empires fighting for planetary control using an updated Civ 5 engine gives me all sorts of ideas.  :eek:

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 15:06:24 »
I know the soundtrack is great

Offline nugglets

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 15:15:36 »
This game is siiiiiiiiiiiiick. In many ways it's better than CIV. If Civ could take the universal expanse of this and incorporate it to their mechanics it would be the perfect 4x.

For example - you'd have like 3 levels of 'world' - In a regular Civ game you only have the 1 terrestrial world map, but I'm thinking the same base mechanics of a Civ title but with the ability to "zoom out" your level of perception as your technology advances. So the next levels would be Galaxy and Universal.

Stellaris is a bit too wordy and politics-heavy for my personal tastes, and I prefer the action-oriented progression of something like Civ or AoE's gameplay, and the notion of galactic empires fighting for planetary control using an updated Civ 5 engine gives me all sorts of ideas.  :eek:

Glad you're liking it at least. It is by no means perfect, but it is a really great game that I've had a ton of fun with.

Also agree that if Civ adopted some of the ideas from Stellaris it could pretty much break the genre forever.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 14:26:34 »
Played it after civ 5, came home a bit disappointed. It's not that stellaris is a bad game, it's just that civ 5 is soo polished. Like command and conquer vs other RTS games.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g