Author Topic: Laptop keyboard & touchpad converted by Teensy ++2.0 to USB for Pi laptop  (Read 5105 times)

Offline thedalles77

I converted a Sony Vaio PCG-K25 to a Raspberry Pi 3 laptop with a Teensy ++2.0 as the controller for the keyboard, Touchpad, and Video Card.
I know this kind of project has been done lots of times but I thought I'd share it just in case it might help someone.
Features
•   Eagle designed circuit board connects the Teensy to a 24 pin 1mm pitch FPC connector and breaks out all other I/O to header pins.
•   Scans a KFRMBA151B Sony Vaio keyboard every 30msec and sends keypresses over USB.
•   Polls the Sony Vaio touchpad over PS/2 and sends movement and button data over USB (can be disabled when using a mouse).
•   Replaces the M.NT68676 video board key pad with the multimedia keys to control mute, volume, and brightness.
•   Receives commands over I2C to shut down power, reset the laptop, or report firmware version & release date

The project description, Eagle files, and Teensyduino code are at my github repo:  https://github.com/thedalles77/Pi_Teensy_Laptop
Here is a short YouTube video:

Cheers

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Laptop keyboard & touchpad converted by Teensy ++2.0 to USB for Pi laptop
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 03:25:28 »
Amazing, simply amazing.
How long did it take?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline thedalles77

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 16:44:03 »
It took about 5 months to put together the entire laptop because I had to spread out my purchases so my wife didn't notice (she still did).
I ohm'ed out the keyboard matrix in a couple evenings and finished the Eagle layout in a week. The Teensy keyboard code took about 2 weeks to write and debug.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 16:53:57 »
Well, congrats for achieving that. It's stunning.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline meanagray

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 06:29:45 »
Very nice, will need some lessons from you sir !

Offline thedalles77

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 03:52:25 »
I have added battery operation to this laptop so I'm not tethered to a power cord anymore.
The Pi can read the registers in the battery over a crude bit-bang SMBus that I coded in C.
The Teensy reads the battery voltage and blinks the video card off for a second to warn if the voltage is getting low. Eventually the Teensy shuts down the laptop power latch if the charger is not plugged in.
I updated the PDF documentation and the code at my Github repo.
Cheers