Author Topic: Fixing Romer-G ping  (Read 8434 times)

Offline ChiefBigFeather

Fixing Romer-G ping
« on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 18:15:22 »
Dear Geekhack community,

because my setup works best with a wireless keyboard with a wrist rest, I got myself a G613 keyboard. I must say the keyboard is a beauty, it feels excellent and looks nice. The only problem I have with it is it's ping. After doing some research, I think it is actually the Romer-G switch that pings. There have been suggestions to lube all the springs and add dampening foam to get rid of the ping.

But before investing that amount of time and money into a keyboard, I would love to know: Has anyone successfully fixed the Romer-G ping?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: Fixing Romer-G ping
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:20:45 »
I did notice my K840 ping a bit but not to the point where it would bother me.  Though I wouldn't be surprised because Romer G has such large springs.

I haven't try this yet but for something simple and cheap to start with is to try putting things under the keyboard see if it helps.

Back then I used to put towel under the keyboard to absorb desk echo, you could try that or something kind of deskmat or mousepad and see if it helps.

If the above doesn't work back then we also tried putting drawer liner into the keyboard (felt cloth probably works too) to dampen keyboard noise, this wouldn't be too hard to do either but require you to open up the case and which might void your warranty.

Though in general it's not too hard to open up a keyboard.

Lube all the switches will be really annoying to do because it will require you to desolder all the switches so if we can avoid that route I'd avoid it.

Let me know how it goes!  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline ChiefBigFeather

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 10:25:41 »
Thank you for the info!

Do you happen to know if I can get access to the switches' interior without de-soldering every one of them?
I'm fairly sure the ping is generated by the springs vibrating after a key is released. The sound is then amplified by the backplate. So if I could decouple the PCB and the backplate and decouple the springs a little, it should rectify the problem.

Decoupling the PCB and backplate could be done by adding some rubber discs where the PCB is screwed in. I will also add foam in between backplate and PCB to eliminate reverb. For the springs, I thought I'd try gluing some felt under the spaces where the spring is anchored. Maybe rubber discs would be preferable, I'm not sure yet.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 22:16:04 »
https://images.anandtech.com/doci/8766/S7%20-%20Romer%20G.png

The tricky thing is that the part that "clips" to hold the switch together will be under the plate normally.  So in order to reach it you have to take the switch off, which will require desolder unfortunately.

From the pic you can see the blue tab on the left and right side.

I'd try the simpler method first though to be honest, desoldering is a lot of work.  At that point I'd almost suggest you just buy a different keyboard entirely LOL.

Also I'm not sure why type of solder Logitech use I remember when I was soldering the solder just doesn't want to stick to the surface.  Again I'm not expert in this so don't quote me on it, but it was a lot harder to do somehow as oppose to Cherry MX keyboards.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 01:18:52 »
Also I'm not sure why type of solder Logitech use I remember when I was soldering the solder just doesn't want to stick to the surface.  Again I'm not expert in this so don't quote me on it, but it was a lot harder to do somehow as oppose to Cherry MX keyboards.
A little flux helps with this.