Author Topic: Plz help a total NOOB buy an Xmas Gift  (Read 2336 times)

Offline KrinkBusta

Plz help a total NOOB buy an Xmas Gift
« on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 15:21:37 »
Hi all,

I am hoping I can get some help here.  I am trying to pick up a nice keyboard for my GF for a Xmas present.  I should have started this a few months ago - didn't realize there would be so many options. What lead me to this was her being in the software/coding/testing business and I was wondering what I could get her that she would actually use a lot - boom, nice keyboard popped into my head.  So I started doing some digging and I found out there is basically a cult following on this stuff LOL. I don't know a damn thing about keyboards but ask me about Kalashnikovs (hence the screen name) and I can spit out a lot of info ;)

So I will skip to a few options I am debating, I need to pull the trigger on one of these early this coming week.

1) She's a big fan of pink.  I stumbled upon this which I would have already ordered but I did some research on the various types of Keys and this version comes with the Cherry Blacks which I read can cause fatigue when typing.  From what I've read it sounds like the Browns might be the way to go...

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2918

2) They have the same style in stock but as a full sized keyboard.  Its a Varmilo and not Ducky - I understand they are different boards but thats about the extent I know about that lol.  The problem here is I called and spoke to someone from Mechanical Keyboards, I was advised that these Silver Cherry keys are super super light and she might not like them... Uhhhhh

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2802

3) They have several other options of these keyboards that state preorder for 12/22/17 - I'm not sure if that means they'll be in-stock on the 22nd and shipping out or what, if so I might order one with the browns.

4) This Vortez Vibe looks nice and they have the Brown version in stock:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2934

5) Lastly is one of these WASD Keyboards that I came across.  I can customize the key colors and order it with the Browns or the Clears (which I've read people really like).  The real kicker here is that I can select a layout with both English and Russian Characters - she's from Russian and using the Russian Alphabet at times, I feel like this would be pretty cool.  This one is high on the list.  I just don't really know much about how I should customize it and I am going to have to call reach out to their customer service Monday.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard.html

In relation to the WASD Board, I think I'd try to go for a color scheme like this here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf-iii-ver-a-96-key-custom-keyboard-kit 

If anyone has any input on which to go with I'd love to hear it.  I don't think she's going to go crazy with this thing, just want to get her a nice keyboard to use at work.

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 December 2017, 15:28:34 by KrinkBusta »

Offline Findecanor

Re: Plz help a total NOOB buy an Xmas Gift
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 16:29:23 »
The Ducky Sakura seems to be a rebranded Varmilo. The label on the back has both Varmilo and Ducky logos.
Varmilo also makes a "tenkeyless" version (layout like full-size but with just no numpad section) with floating keys, and a variation of that with Bluetooth - but those don't seen to be compatible with Mac, however.

As to form factor, switches and features: what kind of computer and keyboard does she use now?

BTW, If I were you, I would also install O-rings in it. You can get O-rings from WASD, you can even get it installed from the beginning if you buy the keyboard from them.
The WASD keyboards are known to be a bit loud, however.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 16:33:03 »
What is she using now?

BTW, If I were you, I would also install O-rings in it.

I would definitely not do this.  O-rings reduce the travel distance and make it feel mushy.

Offline KrinkBusta

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 17:13:00 »
So I was trying to keep this a surprise but I am not joking when I say I have no clue about this stuff so I went ahead and asked her... She is a coder. She was working for Apple but now works for a company that makes software for the Gov/Mil/Law Enforcement etc... She has a Macbook Pro at her main desk with a few monitors and types off the laptop keyboard.  She then has a room they test in that has something like 40 different computers.  She wasn't sure if her employer would even allow her to bring in equipment from home and hook it up to their computers.  I think I am going to pass on purchasing one of these for her.  I must admit I think some of the designs I've seen here in your group buy section while researching this stuff are awesome and I will probably pick something up for myself.  Cheers all and thanks for the replies. 

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 02:05:21 »
...but now you've started, why not pick up a new keyboard for yourself?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 11:09:43 »
How about the Ducky Miya? I don’t know what the availability might be, but that thing is as pink as it’s gonna get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sandy1995

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 07:47:17 »
As a girl, really girly girl, I think you should just buy the Ducky MIYA Pro Sakura Mechanical Keyboard (Black Cherry MX)!!! That is really impressive!! I cannot shake it from my head since the day I met her. OMG, I wish someone will buy me one lol.