Author Topic: [SOLD] Model M 1391401 with air reservation keys, $59.99 shipped  (Read 3020 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[SOLD] Model M 1391401 with air reservation keys, $59.99 shipped
« on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 14:38:46 »
IBM Model M 1391401 Keyboard Jan 31 1989 Parts or Repair G3

$59.99 + free U.S. shipping. "“Some keys are not working, cable not included.”

This seems to be a standard Model M 1391401 with keys from a relatively rare p/n 1393464 (airline reservation) board, with lots of special legends—here's a closeup of another one:

So what you'd get is a set of special keys, plus a parts board, for sixty bucks. Not bad. (Or, being a GH peep, you could probably get the board working and keep the keys on it.)

Before buying, I'd just verify with the seller that this is the actual board for sale, to be sure they're not just using some Model M photos they found somewhere, thinking all M's looked alike.

Cheers. (I've had coffee, BTW.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 19:59:21 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

Re: Model M 1391401 with air reservation keys, $59.99 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 14:45:15 »
I would have pulled the trigger if I knew for sure that I would actually get the one pictured.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 08:38:25 »
Seller says that is the actual picture so I have made my reservation. It probably just needs some cleaning, a bolt mod, and a cable.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 December 2017, 08:57:19 by JP »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 22:24:52 »
Seller says that is the actual picture so I have made my reservation.

Ha, good one—and congrats! I'm lucky enough to have a '3464, and I can tell you, they're really fun caps.

It probably just needs some cleaning, a bolt mod, and a cable.

You're probably right. It's rare to find an M so thrashed it can't be restored as you describe. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Oh, and while it may seem rather sneaky, in a case like this I might be tempted to fabricate my own 1393464 label.  When you get down to it, the caps are the only significant distinction between the two p/n's—so as long as it was done convincingly well, it could be considered a means of making the board more historically authentic.  ;?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 23:56:09 »
Seller says that is the actual picture so I have made my reservation.

Ha, good one—and congrats! I'm lucky enough to have a '3464, and I can tell you, they're really fun caps.

It probably just needs some cleaning, a bolt mod, and a cable.

You're probably right. It's rare to find an M so thrashed it can't be restored as you describe. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Oh, and while it may seem rather sneaky, in a case like this I might be tempted to fabricate my own 1393464 label.  When you get down to it, the caps are the only significant distinction between the two p/n's—so as long as it was done convincingly well, it could be considered a means of making the board more historically authentic.  ;?)

If this keyboard was missing a label altogether we would have all attributed it as a '3464 as the keys are so unique. I am assuming the controller would be identical to a '1401? I am considering this one a '3464 in my collection. A new label would be interesting, but of course the ID number would have to be made up.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 18:00:38 »
INTERESTING FIND THERE. WHAT COMPANY DO YOU THINK THAT KEYBOARD WAS ORIGINALLY USED AT?

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline JP

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 18:22:30 »
INTERESTING FIND THERE. WHAT COMPANY DO YOU THINK THAT KEYBOARD WAS ORIGINALLY USED AT?

(Attachment Link)

IBM sold many customized key Model M's to it's corporate customers. These legends were used with the IBM developed Sabre reservation system that was used by American Airlines.

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/sabre/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre_(computer_system)
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 18:25:24 by JP »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: [SOLD] Model M 1391401 with air reservation keys, $59.99 shipped
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 20:00:35 »
A new label would be interesting, but of course the ID number would have to be made up...

I'm guessing you're single... If you were married, this kind of subterfuge would seem minor.

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 07:21:35 »
A new label would be interesting, but of course the ID number would have to be made up...

I'm guessing you're single... If you were married, this kind of subterfuge would seem minor.

Good to know  :)) Would you say your marriage or marriage in general is akin to a Potemkin village?
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 December 2017, 09:35:01 by JP »

Offline JP

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 16:57:38 »
I just got this keyboard today and was as described. The keys are a complete set as far as I can tell and the legends are top notch. The downside is all the gunk that has collected beneath the keys. It also has a strong smokey beef jerky scent and not in a good way. It will need a bleach / bolt mod for sure.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 23:04:23 »

Good to know  :)) Would you say your marriage or marriage in general is akin to a Potemkin village?
He's not answering because he's afraid the wife could see...(the answer can be YES sometimes--yes, I'm married too, hahaha)