Author Topic: [GB] ESPECTRO  (Read 68478 times)

Offline scp

Does this board support ISO (UK QWERTY) layout?
Yes

Awesome, Thanks!

Just joined with a dark grey case  :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 March 2018, 16:43:06 by scp »

Offline JMD

• All we want is happiness.
    • Mech Keys
Re: [GB] ESPECTRO 96 - Order Confirmations - Check your email.
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 16:54:09 »
Will catch up on messages later today folks! :) Thank you all for your participation we're well over 60 orders now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 March 2018, 05:32:13 by JMD »
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline sushisource

Woo, after years of lurking this is the perfect keeb for me. Ordered. I'm also curious about the underglow LEDs, there was a previous question as to whether or not they're included. Particularly, with the assembly option, will they be preinstalled?

Looking forward to it!

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Woo, after years of lurking this is the perfect keeb for me. Ordered. I'm also curious about the underglow LEDs, there was a previous question as to whether or not they're included. Particularly, with the assembly option, will they be preinstalled?

Looking forward to it!
Heya! Thanks for your order.

The underglow rgb is already pre-soldered by machines. The only soldering required by end user is of the switches, and any single color LED's that will be inserted into said switches.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Tordp

The underglow rgb is already pre-soldered by machines. The only soldering required by end user is of the switches, and any single color LED's that will be inserted into said switches.

I've ordered this keyboard and been wondering about LED support. Sorry for my ignorance, but does this means I can solder LEDs to the switches and control them with QMK? How about the RGB underglow, can I also change the color/intensity with QMK or some other way?

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg

I've ordered this keyboard and been wondering about LED support. Sorry for my ignorance, but does this means I can solder LEDs to the switches and control them with QMK? How about the RGB underglow, can I also change the color/intensity with QMK or some other way?
Yep!

Offline wowremy

I cannot decide what color to get... AGHGH  :'(

Offline LostInInaka

Haha me too...narrowed it down to the dark gray and the purple.... then again maybe blue....arghh..

My biggest lean towards the gray is easier to match key sets to (although if Violet Tendencies was to be released soon, I’d go all in on the purple)
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 March 2018, 02:21:41 by LostInInaka »

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys

Haha me too...narrowed it down to the dark gray and the purple.... then again maybe blue....arghh..

My biggest lean towards the gray is easier to match key sets to (although if Violet Tendencies was to be released soon, I’d go all in on the purple)
Not sure on ETA for violet tendencies. The person who put the set together decided the other day to run with another vendor.  As far as espectro colors....dark grey - always a good choice.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
We're about to see 75 Espectros ordered. One thing I've always wanted since I started doing this, was to sell 100 keyboards on a group buy. It's a personal milestone. We're so close to fulfilling this goal of mine, and to push it even further I'm not only giving that Lord of Cinder shishi away - but if we hit 100 orders, I will randomly select one person who ordered an Espectro and I will refund your order, you will get it for free.

Thanks guys. We're super super close, I know we can do this!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline tanvir175

Help this man reach his goals people!

That's very generous btw! Thanks for the giveaway and opportunity for a free espectro :)

Offline LostInInaka

Looking that the pcb’s bottom row, it looks as if you could squeeze and extra key on the right side if you used 3 1u keys while keeping the space bar the same size.

Meaning I could theoretically do a 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Or possibly even a 4th key in the right if I went 1u keys + a 6u space bar

Or am I completely seeing that wrong? It seems fairly obvious, but being new to all this thought I would double check the logic.

Offline long_qt_pie

No, you're right, the three 1u's should fit in between the space and arrow cluster and I believe the PCB supports this as noted above
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline vpr

Thinking about pairing Troubled Minds (R2) keyset with this, struggling with  which color:

• Dark Grey - More compatibility with other colors, will work w/ both the green and purple of TM
  • Purple - Keyset has lots of purple, but a different shade (darker)
  • Green - The shades of green look similar, but would it be too much green close together?
Leaning towards Dark Grey...

Offline MikeTheTiger

No, you're right, the three 1u's should fit in between the space and arrow cluster and I believe the PCB supports this as noted above

I think you're right. That's how I'm doing mine...once I decide on color and plate options...

Offline long_qt_pie

Thinking about pairing Troubled Minds (R2) keyset with this, struggling with  which color:

• Dark Grey - More compatibility with other colors, will work w/ both the green and purple of TM
  • Purple - Keyset has lots of purple, but a different shade (darker)
  • Green - The shades of green look similar, but would it be too much green close together?
Leaning towards Dark Grey...

I think you can have a lot of purple, ie purple case with TM, but if you apply the same concept to the green I think it might be too much green.  The purple here is pretty awesome :)
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline LostInInaka

Re: [GB] ESPECTRO 96 - 76 Orders - Let's make it 100 - 27 hours to go!
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 04:21:03 »
Well finally pulled the trigger on that purple one...def looking forward to it.

Also sent you a mail JMD from the contact form on the website with some minor requests.

Thanks and can't wait to get it! (now just have to find a good keyset)
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:48:26 by LostInInaka »

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:20:06 »
Pulled the trigger on dark gray with a brass plate. Can't wait!!  :thumb:

Offline LostInInaka

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:32:37 »
Pulled the trigger on dark gray with a brass plate. Can't wait!!  :thumb:

Was really thinking that combo too...only hesitation was not seeing a sample of the dark gray outside of the render.  Hopeful for a gunmetal/space gray type color...but was worried it might be a “lighter” dark gray.

But should look awesome with the brass plate!

Offline kisling91

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 11:46:07 »
Hmm, as far as I understand the Espectro should support split left shift, right?
I'm concerned about the spacing between the keys in the plate (see picture) - should 'A' and 'B' not be equal to have the correct spacing when using split left shift?
I might be wrong as I have absolutely no experience designing plates though  :))
192014-0

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 17:41:40 »
Hey guys will update answers to some questions later today - just going through the orders and updating spread sheets and spending time out with family for my birthday this fine day.

We're so close to 100 orders everyone, so so so so close. I think maybe 10 more?
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 17:48:53 »
Hey guys will update answers to some questions later today - just going through the orders and updating spread sheets and spending time out with family for my birthday this fine day.

We're so close to 100 orders everyone, so so so so close. I think maybe 10 more?

Happy Birthday!!

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 18:50:51 »

Happy birthday! Hope we're able to reach 100. Would be an awesome milestone to reach on such a special day :)

Offline wowremy

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 19:01:44 »
Alright, I'm settled on the dark grey, with cyan plate to match the Tealios switches. I did gud?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
Re: [GB] ESPECTRO - 97/100 Order Goal!! Let's get there, only 3 more!
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 00:23:05 »
Only 3 more orders until we hit 100 everyone! What an exciting and epic day.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 00:37:00 »

Thats amazing does that 97 orders include the proxy orders already? This has been amazing group buy but then again the board is simply amazing! I honestly can't wait to get mine!!!! its going to be one of my endgame coveted boards. It might not be the most expensive board out there.. might not be a Korean custom but in my opinion it rank up there as one of the sexist hands down!

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 00:39:41 »

Thats amazing does that 97 orders include the proxy orders already? This has been amazing group buy but then again the board is simply amazing! I honestly can't wait to get mine!!!! its going to be one of my endgame coveted boards. It might not be the most expensive board out there.. might not be a Korean custom but in my opinion it rank up there as one of the sexist hands down!

I joined primarily because of how sexy the case is and that purple is to die for! Gonna look forward to building this. It's definitely getting GMK Laser but now I need to decide the switch. Maybe Box Royals?

Offline vpr

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 00:47:09 »

I'm planning to join, but still can't decide between Purple and Dark Grey -- what time zone is the buy ending in? :P

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 00:58:46 »

I'm planning to join, but still can't decide between Purple and Dark Grey -- what time zone is the buy ending in? :P
You have time ;)

It will take a day or two to talk to the factory and setup the order. Today was just the official end so I could start preperations.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 01:24:55 »

Both seem to be equally popular in the spreadsheet. I would want more of a Macbook Pro 2016 Space Gray if I was choosing to go gray. This one looks darker than that. Although, to be fair, I was set on purple the second I saw the prototype and it would have been hard to convince me otherwise.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 01:51:21 »

Both seem to be equally popular in the spreadsheet. I would want more of a Macbook Pro 2016 Space Gray if I was choosing to go gray. This one looks darker than that. Although, to be fair, I was set on purple the second I saw the prototype and it would have been hard to convince me otherwise.
One of my good friends just gifted me Hyperfuse GMK for my birthday....you should see the two of them together ;)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 01:54:10 »

One of my good friends just gifted me Hyperfuse GMK for my birthday....you should see the two of them together ;)

That's an awesome gift! Do upload some photos if you're given the chance :)

Offline vpr

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 01:59:42 »

Well I went w/ purple -- I might regret it since purple isn't one of my favorite colors, but ultimately it'll match with TM and I was apprehensive about Dark Grey not having a color sample.

Experimental color with factory - this can turn out good, or bad. It is your acceptance by purchase, that you will be satisfied by the color that results from this. We will not have color samples to look off of until they've been made and coated.

That statement spooked me away from the grey.

Offline LostInInaka

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 02:06:45 »

That's awesome...would be a great goal for you to hit on your birthday!

And on that note, happy birthday as well!  :thumb:

That statement spooked me away from the grey.

Exactly my sentiments...well that and I have enough space gray-ish type things in my house...time for a new color!

Although I did request my plate in that color so I can see how it turns out (and I think the darker color of the plate will help to highlight the keys)

Offline wowremy

Re: [GB] ESPECTRO - 98/100 Order Goal!! Let's get there, only 2 more!
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 04:35:38 »
Would Cyan look cool with gmk taro? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93732.0

or purple... Think i need to switch from dark grey, already got a dark grey 1800 board :/

Offline LostInInaka

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 06:02:30 »
Would Cyan look cool with gmk taro? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93732.0

or purple... Think i need to switch from dark grey, already got a dark grey 1800 board :/

I think either would be a nice match, but maybe the slight edge to purple.

Nice key set....sorry I missed out on the GB.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 12:44:58 »
For assembly, do we specify stepped/non stepped caps lock?

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 12:57:16 »

Very likely since the stems for each cap are in different locations.

Offline rvrebel

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 13:38:40 »
I didn't think to ask about getting a different color plate from the case. Do you have room for adding one to my order or will there be extras by the end? I don't mind paying the cost for an additional plate if necessary.

Can't wait!
|| Filco Majestouch 2 || Rosewill RK-9000 || WASD Custom Layout ||

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 15:18:38 »
I didn't think to ask about getting a different color plate from the case. Do you have room for adding one to my order or will there be extras by the end? I don't mind paying the cost for an additional plate if necessary.

Can't wait!
Orders are submitted tonight. In about 12 hours. You have plenty of time to submit that request.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:13:55 »

Hmm getting two plates I am thinking one will have a stepped cap's lock cause... I just love the way a stepped cap's lock looks. The only downer is finding keycap sets.. becomes even more limited. Just curious but what color did you go with? I was one of the emerald green's and am so so excited.

Offline wowremy

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:25:05 »
I'm back and forth between grey and purple... I have a metallic grey 1800 board so I'm thinking purple for this.. but purple isn't my favorite color. Buuuut I have 2 purple key sets it could go with. Aghhh

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:04:44 »
I'm back and forth between grey and purple... I have a metallic grey 1800 board so I'm thinking purple for this.. but purple isn't my favorite color. Buuuut I have 2 purple key sets it could go with. Aghhh
better hurry up and make your decision :)
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline wowremy

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:11:32 »
How long till you place the order Dave?

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:14:21 »

This close to the wire I go with the gray set.. the reason I went with green was cause its one of my favorite colors also its just you don't see a lot of keyboard's done in green. It was just a natural choice. I would say since it doesn't sound like your extremely found of the purple just go gray cause purple keysets will most likely match the gray nicely anyway

Offline wowremy

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:16:31 »

This close to the wire I go with the gray set.. the reason I went with green was cause its one of my favorite colors also its just you don't see a lot of keyboard's done in green. It was just a natural choice. I would say since it doesn't sound like your extremely found of the purple just go gray cause purple keysets will most likely match the gray nicely anyway
I think youre right.. If it was darker purple I would have jumped on board without hesitation.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 19:17:56 »

Around 7-8 hours

Offline dravestus

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 04:00:12 »
Did i seriously miss this GB buy 3 days? FML  :(

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 05:34:44 »
Did i seriously miss this GB buy 3 days? FML  :(
Mmhmm but if you still want one shoot me a PM, I'll sneak you in!!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline long_qt_pie

Re: [GB] ESPECTRO - ORDER CONFIRMATIONS - CHECK YOUR EMAIL!!!
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 19:56:52 »
Forgot to ask earlier (doesn't matter now) but does the plate support switch top removal?