geekhack Marketplace > GMK/UNIQEY

C70 Feedback

<< < (3/6) > >>

Handke:

--- Quote from: woodruff on Mon, 23 September 2019, 04:14:17 ---Hello, I'm sure that your c70 is a super high quality keyboard, nevertheless here are my observations.

This c70 layout is only 2cm smaller than a tkl, so the space gain is so small that it is absolutely neglegible. With a tkl layout you have many more keys, and you have some nice gaps on the case / plate that show the beautiful material that you used for the case.

My suggestion for your next keyboard??? Not an improbable full keyboard, not another new and incompatible layout, but I'd suggest a tkl keyboard. MassDrop.com sold 10 thousands tkl keyboards, it's probably their most successful drop for a keyboard. I'd suggest to make a keyboard which is compatible and interchangeable (case and pcb swap), with the massdrop tkl keyboard. How can it be that hard to have some standardization???? Each and every tkl designer uses his own proprietarcy pcb and case, while all 60% keyboards are interchangable. That is insane.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-ctrl-mechanical-keyboard

Don't you dare ;-) to use again a proprietary firmware. We have tmk, we have qmk, we have a gui for qmk and you should make a keyboard compatible with that. I'm not going to buy a keyboard which uses your firmware. I hate proprietary firmwares that after one year aren't supported anymore. On drop.com there are a lot of negative comments about your firmware, in stability and in compatibility (does it work with mac, and with linux? do I have to be an administrator to install your firmware, really????). We don't deserve that, not after spending 250 bucks for a keyboard. I hope that I don't sound impolite, but how much does a software developer cost? And how does that impact on the sale price of a keyboard that was sold in 200 pieces only? 10 eur each keyboard? 20? That's a big impact.

Your new keyboard should have adjustable feet. People have different preferences, sometimes we have a chair or a table which can't be tailored to our needs, but the keyboard should allow some flexibility.

If you're going to sell again the c70, you should bundle some extra keycaps to make your doubleshot set usable at least on a tkl (given that a 1u keycap cost less than 0.4 usd, the increment is neglegible).

Please make an iso keyboard, and deliver it from europe, not from the usa and expect us to spend 35% of the original price in import taxes.

Still about the c70, on massdrop I've seen a comment that states that ""1. Bigger space between g & h keys." Does it mean that the g and h switches have a non standard spacing??

About the 100% keyboard sold on uniqey, I can live with all the wrong layouts, but having a de layout is not acceptable. If you gave me an extra z and y, and a scooped f and j, that would completely fix it for me. At least the A-Z keys should be correct, I don't ask anything more than that.

Thanks for being here and for listening to us.

Have a nice day!

--- End quote ---

Interesting points, yet I see no answer from gmk uniqey...

Handke:

--- Quote from: Handke on Thu, 07 November 2019, 03:41:39 ---
--- Quote from: woodruff on Mon, 23 September 2019, 04:14:17 ---Hello, I'm sure that your c70 is a super high quality keyboard, nevertheless here are my observations.

This c70 layout is only 2cm smaller than a tkl, so the space gain is so small that it is absolutely neglegible. With a tkl layout you have many more keys, and you have some nice gaps on the case / plate that show the beautiful material that you used for the case.

My suggestion for your next keyboard??? Not an improbable full keyboard, not another new and incompatible layout, but I'd suggest a tkl keyboard. MassDrop.com sold 10 thousands tkl keyboards, it's probably their most successful drop for a keyboard. I'd suggest to make a keyboard which is compatible and interchangeable (case and pcb swap), with the massdrop tkl keyboard. How can it be that hard to have some standardization???? Each and every tkl designer uses his own proprietarcy pcb and case, while all 60% keyboards are interchangable. That is insane.

Don't you dare ;-) to use again a proprietary firmware. We have tmk, we have qmk, we have a gui for qmk and you should make a keyboard compatible with that. I'm not going to buy a keyboard which uses your firmware. I hate proprietary firmwares that after one year aren't supported anymore. On drop.com there are a lot of negative comments about your firmware, in stability and in compatibility (does it work with mac, and with linux? do I have to be an administrator to install your firmware, really????). We don't deserve that, not after spending 250 bucks for a keyboard. I hope that I don't sound impolite, but how much does a software developer cost? And how does that impact on the sale price of a keyboard that was sold in 200 pieces only? 10 eur each keyboard? 20? That's a big impact.

Your new keyboard should have adjustable feet. People have different preferences, sometimes we have a chair or a table which can't be tailored to our needs, but the keyboard should allow some flexibility.

If you're going to sell again the c70, you should bundle some extra keycaps to make your doubleshot set usable at least on a tkl (given that a 1u keycap cost less than 0.4 usd, the increment is neglegible).

Please make an iso keyboard, and deliver it from europe, not from the usa and expect us to spend 35% of the original price in import taxes.

Still about the c70, on massdrop I've seen a comment that states that ""1. Bigger space between g & h keys." Does it mean that the g and h switches have a non standard spacing??

About the 100% keyboard sold on uniqey, I can live with all the wrong layouts, but having a de layout is not acceptable. If you gave me an extra z and y, and a scooped f and j, that would completely fix it for me. At least the A-Z keys should be correct, I don't ask anything more than that.

Have a nice day!

--- End quote ---

Interesting points, yet I see no answer from gmk uniqey...

--- End quote ---

yep

GMK_Andy:

Have a nice day!

--- End quote ---

Hey! Sorry for the slow response.

Lots of insights here, some may be possible, some probably not.

As far as keyboards, we are already well indevelopment on the next one. They take roughly ~2 years to produce from idea to a prototype ready to mass produce for us. Lots of little details and lots of discussions back and forth with a think tank of community members and internally betwen the DE and US divisions. I know how many TKLs Massdrop (and others like WASD, Filco, etc.) have sold, and we are certainly interested in doing a TKL, but we are not really interested in making a "run of the mill" TKL. As you stated, there are A LOT of TKL options out there, and due to our manufacturing standards we will never be the budget option that sells tons and tons of keyboards. We like making interesting, higher end keyboards for sure and that has been our concentration to this point, and will remain that way. Cant say we really have any interest at all in making a TKL like the CTL or CTL Hi Profile.

With milled cases adjustable feet can be difficult. There are enough super creative people doing small run customs that boards with adjustable feet shouldnt be too hard to find! I'm just not sure they will be from us (the Q100 does in fact have them though!)The next board we are working on features a similar design to the C70 case.

I know what the price increase of adding our caps to our keyboard costs. I know people mainly know us for caps, but when we sell keyboards we are selling it as a complete product. Perhaps adding extra caps that match the C70 set (or other standard sets included with keyboards in the future) in the form of a "completionist kit" could be considered though (a kit that would add support for TKL, Tsangan, etc). This would be fairly cheap to cover many boards as users would already have the keys included with the board. I certainly will make note of this. I just don't think inlucing TKL keys in a board like the C70, for example, really would be the best option in this case.

We will be shipping future boards, accessories, and in house designed sets from both US and Germany.

Im not sure if the pictures are odd, or something was not seated correctly with the switches in the picture, but I can assure you there is a perfectly even space between the keys on the C70. I have seen the CAD files.

Thank you for the input. I will point this post out to others in the company to read over as well. I will also look into the layout of keys included with the Q100 and see what options are available there.

Handke:
Thank you!

Looking forward for any news from you. And please please stop developing your own firmware or at least make the keyboards compatible with open source tools. We all know that your firmware it won't be developed anymore in a few years, so please make your keyboards compatible witk tmk/qmk.

GMK_Andy:

--- Quote from: Handke on Fri, 21 February 2020, 03:20:37 ---Thank you!

Looking forward for any news from you. And please please stop developing your own firmware or at least make the keyboards compatible with open source tools. We all know that your firmware it won't be developed anymore in a few years, so please make your keyboards compatible witk tmk/qmk.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the feedback! We know the firmware is our weak spot and will/have been working very hard in that area on our firmware and looking at other possibilities!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version