geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Split and ortholinear did nothing for my RSI

<< < (3/3)

vvp:

--- Quote from: Stupidface on Wed, 02 February 2022, 08:33:53 ---
--- Quote from: Scarab on Mon, 31 January 2022, 17:36:46 ---I find I apply pressure on it when resting my wrists on my macbook.

--- End quote ---
...alarmed me somewhat.  It has long been my understanding that resting your wrists on anything whilst you are typing is ill-advised.

--- End quote ---
Especially when the wrists are rested instead of palms!

staticxblaze:
I think while the keyboard is important, some other factors to consider are desk height, chair height, and the chair arm wrest height.

I developed a mild case of CTS in both hands (also a developer) despite already having an Aeron and an adjustable desk. I switched to a Kinesis Advantage and while the split/concavity did alleviate the issues a bit, I found things to be even further improved when I switched to a Steelcase Gesture. The flagship Steelcase chairs are known to have armwrests with the greatest range of adjustability, and while I do miss the build quality of the Aeron, I am overall encountering less pain during work. For context, my armwrests are adjusted all the way up such that my arms are perpendicular when typing.

anawilliam850:
Thank you for sharing your experience with RSI and keyboard options. It's important to remember that everyone's experience with RSI is unique and what works for one person may not work for another. It sounds like finding the right posture, taking breaks, and using a vertical mouse were key factors in relieving your symptoms.

It's also worth noting that there is limited scientific evidence to support the use of ergonomic keyboards in preventing or treating RSI. While some people may find relief with these keyboards, others may not. It's important to explore a variety of options and work with a professional to determine the best approach for your specific needs.

Ultimately, prioritizing your health and well-being should always be the top priority, even if it means sacrificing productivity in the short-term. Taking breaks, practicing good posture, and using ergonomic tools can help prevent RSI and other work-related injuries in the long run.

LogLab:
Something also to make sure you focus on is the angle of your wrists. I second the point about the chair and desk height, you want to make sure you are at a good height where your wrists do not have to bend. The increased height of some ergo boards is not inherently bad, but putting them on a desk where you previously comfortably used a normal keyboard could create bend in your wrists that isn't good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version