Author Topic: Got a Bonus wanting a new KB  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Doober

Got a Bonus wanting a new KB
« on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 21:43:12 »
So as the title states, I finally got my bonus at work, and I was going to use some of this money on a new KB.

With that stated I currently own and am using my model M, but I also have a Cherry Compaq w/ Browns and an ALPS white. I like the browns and I like the BS in the IBM but at times the BS are just way to loud.

So I am looking at getting either a DAS Silent, but I am confused is the reg model Cherry Blues and the Silent is Browns or they all browns or blues. I am also interested in the XArmor, has back-lighting but blues and is roughly the same price as DAS. I know the DAS is a pretty solid KB but I hate the aweful polished case. I was going to pursue the college discount for either KB and doesn't that put it right around ~100?

My 3rd and 4th option was either a Rosewill or a cheap 10keyless off of Taobao w/ browns ~100-200.

The dilemma I am in is that I like browns and my BS, but have never tried blues. I also wanted to go back to something a little quieter.

Lastly if i go with DAS/Xarmor in the spring i was going to buy a Leopold from EK when/If they get them in stock.

What can yall recommend based off of quality/feel?

-doober
Quote from: ripster;234844
Actually this is what I said.  Taking a factoid and reaching an outrageous conclusion is what I call the Glenn Beck debating style.

Compaq MX11800 (x3), IBM Model M, PLU ML 87, NMB, SIIG Minitouch, Topre Realforce, Filco Majestouch 2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 21:56:01 »
All the boards you mentioned are decent.

If you're fixed on getting a leopold, I'd get either a das or rosewill and wait up for the leopold to drop in the coming year. Many are waiting!

Das Model S (cherry blues)
Das Model S with the silent word in the title (cherry browns)

Quote from: Doober;267034
The dilemma I am in is that I like browns and my BS, but have never tried blues. I also wanted to go back to something a little quieter.

Since I've only tried the blues on a rosewill rk-9000, I can tell you they aren't that quiet. Much quieter than BS though (I use one at work).

Check out the audio clips section if you are unsure on how the boards switches sound. PCB mounted or Plate mounted make a diff too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 December 2010, 22:07:49 by kidchunks »
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 22:19:50 »
Get some plate mounted browns.

May I recommend...

Offline kidchunks

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 22:21:19 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;267052
Get some plate mounted browns.

May I recommend...

Show Image

shhh! not before we create our group!
Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline Broncosoozie

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 22:36:46 »
Are we the Autobots or the Decepticons?  Optimus there looks fairly threatened...

Work: White HHKB Pro 2 w/ lettering
Home: White Filco tenkeyless MX Browns
Laptop: Black Filco tenkeyless MX Blacks

Offline Doober

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 01:23:38 »
Quote from: ripster;267073
If you don't like the shinyness of the Das wait and see what the Leopolds look like.

Or invest in the stock market.  AAPL did well for me despite all the iPad moaning at Geekhack.

well that is what I was thinking get the DAS, then get the Leopold and have 2 good kb's

and my bonus isn't that big I am a college student lol

thanks for the input

-doober
Quote from: ripster;234844
Actually this is what I said.  Taking a factoid and reaching an outrageous conclusion is what I call the Glenn Beck debating style.

Compaq MX11800 (x3), IBM Model M, PLU ML 87, NMB, SIIG Minitouch, Topre Realforce, Filco Majestouch 2

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Nadger

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 02:09:03 »
Quote from: Doober;267103
well that is what I was thinking get the DAS, then get the Leopold and have 2 good kb's

and my bonus isn't that big I am a college student lol

thanks for the input

-doober

Man we need Xzibit to stop by and put mechanical keyboards in our mechanical keyboards so we can type on blues while we type on browns.
● Logitech ♦ G600
● Noppoo ♦ Choc Mini 茶轴
● Plum ♦ 96 White / Red Switch
● Microsoft ♦ Xbox 360 Windows Controller