Author Topic: Dang... peroxide DOES burn  (Read 52191 times)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Dang... peroxide DOES burn
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 12:01:01 »
how much oxyclean did you put into the water?  When I did it, I put *a lot* of it with very little water, very concentrated.  And the keys must be fully submerged in the water, not just floating around on the water surface.

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 01:36:01 »
I tried 1 cup in about 650ml. The second time I tried a 1/2 cup in the same. Then the third time I did the same again, but about 500ml water.  Each time was 6-7 hours.

Today I tried a 3% peroxide bath with 2 heaping teaspoons of oxiclean for 6 hours. Some keys are still yellowed compared to others.  Bah!

Maybe the temp is throwing it off, or the uv level isn't high enough. I'm not sure.
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline Surly73

« Reply #202 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 06:36:03 »
I have removed a set of WYSE caps from a terminal board and it has moderately but noticeable yellowing (24x7 fluorescent tube exposure for ~15 years).  These keys are at the office so I'm first going to see what I can do at the office instead of lugging bags of caps around on my commute.  They've been in a 3% peroxide solution (all I could get in the area of my office) for about 24 hours and I don't believe anything really has happened.  Time to kick it up a notch.  Maybe I'll move to an Oxy solution instead.