Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1624577 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: GH60 Group Buy (WAITING FOR STABILIZERS)
« Reply #4150 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:14:56 »
Stabilizers were sent, but the 6.25 have a bend in the wire that causes problems with plate. I'll be getting some without the bend to resolve that issue from GMK in a few more weeks and send some to tj for this order. Perhaps they are waiting to send anything until this is resolved?

Can TJ confirm?

I mean, that's one thing.  I still have to reconfirm orders and there's still a week before I close the mailing changes sheet.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #4151 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:17:40 »
I mean, that's one thing.  I still have to reconfirm orders and there's still a week before I close the mailing changes sheet.

To make your life easier, my order and everything is the same ;)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4152 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 17:19:01 »

To make your life easier, my order and everything is the same ;)

One down!

Offline vorn

« Reply #4153 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 05:19:07 »
One down!

hahahaha  :)) :))
We've all waited this long... if patience wasn't one of our virtues before, it sure is now ;) I can't thank the organisers of this GB enough! Very excited to click and clack away when my GH60 arrives!

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #4154 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 10:19:04 »
good lord. this is approaching a 7-bit group buy time table.

as far as stabs go. costar stabs suck for what its worth. i am a straight cherry man myself.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #4155 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 13:42:18 »
as far as stabs go. costar stabs suck for what its worth. i am a straight cherry man myself.

How do you figure? It's not really black and white like that. Costar stabs have virtually no effect on feel. Cherry stabs require removal and clipping in order to not feel mushy when bottoming out. And in terms of removal, you're going to have a bad time if you try to remove Cherry stabs for lubing/maintenance without desoldering switches. I also can't count the number of times that I've inadvertently unseated a wire on a Cherry stab while trying to remove a key.

I go with Cherry stabs where I can because I have a ton of them, but Costar stabs have some huge advantages.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #4156 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 15:09:02 »
Costar stabs have virtually no effect on feel.

Disagree strongly. Straight cherry man myself, so I agree with Tricheboars on that front.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
« Reply #4157 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 15:31:27 »
Edit: hehe., forgot about the active GB sticky, silly me!

But when will the next run be? I know obviously the first run (this) has to be finished. Maybe a few months after this first run finishes?
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 November 2014, 15:35:47 by geogga »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4158 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 15:42:59 »
But when will the next run be? I know obviously the first run (this) has to be finished. Maybe a few months after this first run finishes?

I highly doubt there would be a second run within the calendar year 2015.  If anything, maybe a year from the end of this run.  But probably never.  After this finishes, I believe the designs will become open source and some vendors will probably stock the PCBs.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4159 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 15:59:39 »
If I didn't order stabilizers can I have mine now?

PWEEEAAAZZZEEE!!! ;)

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #4160 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 19:29:44 »
Costar stabs have virtually no effect on feel.

Disagree strongly. Straight cherry man myself, so I agree with Tricheboars on that front.

I'm genuinely curious to know what you dislike about Costar stabs.

I guess where I'm coming from is that if I take a stabilized key like enter and mount it without a stabilizer, it feels exactly the same to me when I strike it in the center vs. when I have it mounted with a Costar stabilizer. When it's a Cherry stabilizer I feel mushiness when bottoming out unless the feet have been clipped.

Again, I use Cherry stabilizers on virtually all of my builds since they're much more readily available than Costar stabilizers. If I'm building the board from scratch it's a non-issue since I get to clip the feet and apply lube. If it's an OEM board that doesn't have the cutouts, then there's no quick fix unfortunately.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4161 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 23:04:24 »

PWEEEAAAZZZEEE!!! ;)

Last time I spoke with TJ, he told me that his plan is to wait until he has everything in hand (including the replacement stabilizer wires), and go down the list from the top. No exceptions. I don't have my GH60 stuff, either, so I'm playing the waiting game, same as you guys.

TJ is also hoping that anyone who had an address change will update their info via the form he created for that purpose.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4162 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 23:11:06 »

PWEEEAAAZZZEEE!!! ;)

Last time I spoke with TJ, he told me that his plan is to wait until he has everything in hand (including the replacement stabilizer wires), and go down the list from the top. No exceptions. I don't have my GH60 stuff, either, so I'm playing the waiting game, same as you guys.

TJ is also hoping that anyone who had an address change will update their info via the form he created for that purpose.

I'm also hoping to have the order form edited this weekend so everyone can check their orders and fill out that same change form if need be.  It's getting there slowly.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4163 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 01:55:26 »

PWEEEAAAZZZEEE!!! ;)

I'm also hoping to have the order form edited this weekend so everyone can check their orders and fill out that same change form if need be.  It's getting there slowly.

No worries guys....I'm just excited to build my first keyboard. Thanks for making sure everything is completely ready before proceeding! Just in case I submitted a change to my shipping address. I know I've done it on another group buy but can't remember if I've done it here.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #4164 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 03:45:49 »

How do you figure? It's not really black and white like that. Costar stabs have virtually no effect on feel. Cherry stabs require removal and clipping in order to not feel mushy when bottoming out. And in terms of removal, you're going to have a bad time if you try to remove Cherry stabs for lubing/maintenance without desoldering switches. I also can't count the number of times that I've inadvertently unseated a wire on a Cherry stab while trying to remove a key.

I go with Cherry stabs where I can because I have a ton of them, but Costar stabs have some huge advantages.

^ This!

The only advantage of cherry stabs is that it is easier to replace keycaps (or you have severe OCD and you need all your keyboard to be branded from the same company).

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4165 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 04:01:42 »

^ This!

The only advantage of cherry stabs is that it is easier to replace keycaps (or you have severe OCD and you need all your keyboard to be branded from the same company).

.....and pcb mounting.....it shouldn't be a surprise that some of these GH60s to be built will not have a plate :P I know that at least one of mine will not.

I also find that PCB mount cherry spacebars feel really sturdy over costar but that is a personal preference i guess.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #4166 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:03:45 »
Costar stabs have thinner wires compared to cherry stabs (3/64" vs 1/16").  From my experience, it's more prone to make metal noises especially once it gets bent out of shape (even if it's very slightly) and in general tends to rattle more than cherry.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4167 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 18:39:50 »
Costar stabs have thinner wires compared to cherry stabs (3/64" vs 1/16").  From my experience, it's more prone to make metal noises especially once it gets bent out of shape (even if it's very slightly) and in general tends to rattle more than cherry.
A little lube silences them for me. I am happy with both. I find cherry can be a bit more temperamental, but nothing dramatic.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #4168 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 01:48:38 »
cherry stab often doesn't even work with not-OEM keycaps and you have to sand/file/cut to prevent friction.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4169 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 02:29:34 »
cherry stab often doesn't even work with not-OEM keycaps and you have to sand/file/cut to prevent friction.

Are you saying Cherry stabs don't work with Cherry boards? wat?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #4170 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 03:26:36 »

Are you saying Cherry stabs don't work with Cherry boards? wat?

cherry profile keycaps are cherry-OEM keycaps :)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4171 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 04:10:30 »
So what would be non OEM caps for you then?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #4172 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 04:13:32 »
So what would be non OEM caps for you then?

any keycap set that doesn't come with the keyboard.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4173 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 04:20:02 »
But neither GMK nor BSP caps come with keyboards anymore to my knowledge? :P

I've only heard of problems with Cherry stabs with warped spacebars.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #4174 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 19:12:14 »

+1 this! Stopping the metal rattle is what it's all about!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #4175 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 20:14:14 »

EK's Mechlube will stop the Costar stabilizers from rattling completely.  I imagine super thick from Techkeys or CtrlAlt would achieve the same thing.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #4176 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 20:45:16 »

EK's Mechlube will stop the Costar stabilizers from rattling completely.  I imagine super thick from Techkeys or CtrlAlt would achieve the same thing.
Superlube works well for this too, it's cheap and widely available.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #4178 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 07:57:01 »
Mine still looks good.

{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Qipz

« Reply #4179 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 08:06:37 »
tjcaustin, I forgot to add that the request the order made that I took over, for the added green/yellow LED's is not wanted anymore. I'm not into LEDs, but afaik that wasnt even possible to begin with without the addon board.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4180 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 09:13:53 »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-lBJlTdauVcQHwEUY45BxDDy-QEKVCBu0oDNDG_qzRk/edit?usp=sharing

Check your order here.

http://goo.gl/forms/koFeGiUzL1

Notate any errors here.
If we submitted changes previously do we need to do it again?

I took over an unpaid order when those were sold but none of those newer changed orders are in the spreadsheet linked.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #4181 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 10:03:39 »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-lBJlTdauVcQHwEUY45BxDDy-QEKVCBu0oDNDG_qzRk/edit?usp=sharing

Check your order here.

Notate any errors here.

my order doesn't show up... should I worry? I took over someone else's order (but I can't really remember who, he didn't pay, so I took his order)

Offline Qipz

« Reply #4182 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 10:11:09 »

Check your order here.

Notate any errors here.

my order doesn't show up... should I worry? I took over someone else's order (but I can't really remember who, he didn't pay, so I took his order)

I'm in the same boat, if you can remember look up what he ordered, lucky for me I remembered a certain unique question he asked + all the components he needed. Think back to what you looked for in the order you took over.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #4183 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 10:28:29 »

Check your order here.

Notate any errors here.

I'm in the same boat, if you can remember look up what he ordered, lucky for me I remembered a certain unique question he asked + all the components he needed. Think back to what you looked for in the order you took over.

the order was super generic (2 pcb + 2 poker plates).

It could be the order by mbreslin WITHOUT assembly, but I could be wrong.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4184 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 10:38:00 »

Check your order here.

Notate any errors here.

Glad to see this finally moving...

My order is under my old username but it looks good.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4185 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 12:02:43 »
If your order is missing, fill out the form.  If you've already filled out the form you're fine.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #4186 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 13:13:20 »
just to be clear, this is to see if your original order is correct, not to ask for any changes, correct?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4187 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 13:19:38 »
just to be clear, this is to see if your original order is correct, not to ask for any changes, correct?

Correct. 

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4188 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 13:20:52 »
I'm all good, haven't moved, send it any time now.

Offline osxoep

« Reply #4189 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 13:56:25 »
I can only see one of my orders, I took over another one.

Do you want me to fill out the form? I can give you the PayPal invoice numbers if you would like.
HHKB Pro JP with hasu's controller (waiting for MX sliders)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4190 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 11:25:42 »
My order is not on the list. I took over an unpaid order and do not know the original owner.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4191 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 12:57:59 »
This is why I have a form.  Komar collated things and missed the post sale order pick up, so now I'm trying to get those ducks in an order to see if I need to get more parts at some point.

Offline JBert

« Reply #4192 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 14:39:16 »
So how's Komar doing? Are his PCBs / plates still available at the manufacturer, and is he ready to ship once he lets those come over?
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #4193 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 14:53:11 »
So how's Komar doing? Are his PCBs / plates still available at the manufacturer, and is he ready to ship once he lets those come over?

Last I talked to him, he's busy with his thesis right now.  I have all the plates for the buy and waiting for a list from him for what he needs.  I have no idea what his plans are for fulfillment at the moment.

Offline JBert

« Reply #4194 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 14:02:10 »

Last I talked to him, he's busy with his thesis right now.  I have all the plates for the buy and waiting for a list from him for what he needs.  I have no idea what his plans are for fulfillment at the moment.
Thanks for the update, even if news is a little scarce. :)
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline chel-

« Reply #4195 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 17:52:29 »
Could I get a confirmation on my address change?

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #4196 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 11:50:25 »
I just submitted what should hopefully be my last shipping address change for this group buy.

Offline gimpster

« Reply #4197 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 23:11:26 »
So what's the current ETA? We've had money tied up in this forever and it's pretty hard to understand why people who don't have any stabilizers on their order need to keep waiting for those to arrive.
-Ryan

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #4198 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 02:30:35 »

I'm fine, don't worry;)
Yes, I'm ready to ship when I get everything I need, like stabs and plates. Then I'll let the manufacturer send me the PCBs, which will take only a couple days.
I will be helped by one other person to make this faster.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline mauri

« Reply #4199 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 04:33:38 »
So what's the current ETA? We've had money tied up in this forever and it's pretty hard to understand why people who don't have any stabilizers on their order need to keep waiting for those to arrive.

I don't think it's at all hard to understand. It's easier for the organizers to do everything in one big patch, less chance of losing things too.

This is volunteer work.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS