Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1624588 times)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Re: GH60 Group Buy (WAITING FOR ???)
« Reply #4750 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 09:44:01 »
can we just have the final PCB design and run a new GB?

I asked komar about that several months ago. I think it would be a good idea.

IN hehe

at this point, i really dont even care about extra bits, i just want my pcbs

and im really not complaining about this gb, **** happens, im down with that, i just want us to sit down, throw it out in the open and work out how we can all get together and make it move forward,  its not about blaming anyone, clearly several factors have led to this, but they are done now, lets work out how to move forward
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline metafour

« Reply #4751 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:09:11 »
Who was / is in charge of the collected funds?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #4752 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:10:27 »

TJ

Offline metafour

« Reply #4753 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 10:49:56 »

TJ

Well that's concerning.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4754 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 11:03:19 »
The original group buy responsibilities were these:

WhiteFireDragon: Take orders, purchase plates, purchase stabilizers, most North American assembly, NA shipping
komar007: Purchase PCBs, Rest of World assembly, RoW shipping
jdcarpe: Purchase switches, a few US assemblies and shipping
tjcaustin: Collect money, pay vendors, send money for assembly and shipping to those responsible

WFD disappears. ApocalypseMaow steps in to purchase plates, and TJ takes over purchasing stabilizers. At TJ's request, he takes over all NA assembly and shipping from WFD (missing) and me. I ship TJ all switches.

TJ presumably now has all components at his location, besides some PCBs which are with komar.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #4755 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 11:19:50 »
The original group buy responsibilities were these:

WhiteFireDragon: Take orders, purchase plates, purchase stabilizers, most North American assembly, NA shipping
komar007: Purchase PCBs, Rest of World assembly, RoW shipping
jdcarpe: Purchase switches, a few US assemblies and shipping
tjcaustin: Collect money, pay vendors, send money for assembly and shipping to those responsible

WFD disappears. ApocalypseMaow steps in to purchase plates, and TJ takes over purchasing stabilizers. At TJ's request, he takes over all NA assembly and shipping from WFD (missing) and me. I ship TJ all switches.

TJ presumably now has all components at his location, besides some PCBs which are with komar.

i was under the impression that komars pcbs were at the factory and not with him, and they were waiting to ship them to komar when the other parts were shipped to him via tj

but that was a while ago it may have changed

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #4756 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 13:08:56 »

I asked komar about that several months ago. I think it would be a good idea.

IN hehe

at this point, i really dont even care about extra bits, i just want my pcbs

and im really not complaining about this gb, **** happens, im down with that, i just want us to sit down, throw it out in the open and work out how we can all get together and make it move forward,  its not about blaming anyone, clearly several factors have led to this, but they are done now, lets work out how to move forward

There's no need for another GB, there are GH60 PCB/Plates everywhere on Taobao. Just get one off there. PCB's are going for about ~20-30 dollars (~120-140 RMB), and plates for a bit more.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2015, 13:15:04 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Prelim

« Reply #4757 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 13:28:09 »
There's no need for another GB, there are GH60 PCB/Plates everywhere on Taobao. Just get one off there. PCB's are going for about ~20-30 dollars (~120-140 RMB), and plates for a bit more.

Satan GH60 pcb isn't the same thing :/

I did found this however: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.118.9upqHX&id=45899840513&ns=1&abbucket=20#detail

2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #4758 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:12:07 »
TJ / komar, whats happening and when is it happening?

Offline limitz

« Reply #4759 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:23:44 »

I did found this however: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.118.9upqHX&id=45899840513&ns=1&abbucket=20#detail

That matte black solder mask looks beautiful.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #4760 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 16:31:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

The AMJ60 actually is pretty nice.

It comes pre-soldered. It has additional SMD LED mounts on the back to light up your Acrylic case. It also has dedicated pinouts for a Bluetooth module (UART) and power pins for a battery pack (5V). A neat addition is the resettable fuse to protect against over-currents from the USB port.

Unfortunately, documentation is a little sparse.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #4761 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:49:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

It comes pre-soldered. It has additional SMD LED mounts on the back to light up your Acrylic case. It also has dedicated pinouts for a Bluetooth module (UART) and power pins for a battery pack (5V). A neat addition is the resettable fuse to protect against over-currents from the USB port.

i think most people are fully aware this pcb is out of date right now

really the pcb and its functionality arent the point

to many people here, this gb and this pcb represents the start of their journey here on gh or in the keyboard enthusiast community

and more so, its a community product and project

i personally am not short of 60 percent boards or even pcbs

but its this particular pcb i want

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #4762 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 05:33:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

to many people here, this gb and this pcb represents the start of their journey here on gh or in the keyboard enthusiast community

I understand. Really sad that this had to end in such a mess. :(

Offline noogel

« Reply #4763 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 08:17:58 »
I'm very like this keyboard. ;D

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4764 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 10:11:58 »

Unfortunately, I think this GB represents the community all too well...Too many people that are incredibly irresponsible...not to mention thieves...which were all "senior" members of the community...

It is the biggest reason I don't join more GBs..they're just poorly run and getting ripped off has become so common here, I think people just forget how often it happens...

There are great senior members that run great GBs..and those are the ones that I either participate in or consider participate in. I hate to say it but out of all the enthusiasts communities I belong to, this one by far is the least responsible and by far has the most thieves....sad to say but true...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4765 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 10:52:33 »
I think you're dramatically overstating the number of people who have ripped others off here.  I can only think of a small handful of buys that did.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4766 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 11:01:56 »
I have participated in a LOT of group buys and there have only been two that derailed like this one. The other was the Phantom v2 group buy and they both launched around the same time. There's probably one-or-two others out there, but most of them come to completion and there is still time for that to happen here.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #4767 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 11:17:46 »
I have participated in a LOT of group buys and there have only been two that derailed like this one. The other was the Phantom v2 group buy and they both launched around the same time. There's probably one-or-two others out there, but most of them come to completion and there is still time for that to happen here.

I'd love to help out with this one as well, but I just don't think I have the time anymore. I'm even less upset about the 11pcb's & plates I'm waiting on, but more so that I've spent hundreds of dollars on 60% cases with nothing to go in them. Hell I ended up buying a poker v2 just to be able to have something.

Offline battletux

« Reply #4768 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 13:45:50 »
So I guess it is safe to say our money/PCBs are long gone.

Yay. Think I'll stick to buying stuff from aliexpress and the like in future, seems they get everything first and even factoring in shipping I'd get the item I paid for sooner.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #4769 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 13:47:00 »

No one is saying that. There is still hope for this GB, but it's an uphill climb.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline battletux

« Reply #4770 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 13:59:54 »

No one is saying that. There is still hope for this GB, but it's an uphill climb.

Come on. How long has this been running for? 700+ days with all we have to show for it is a hole in our pocket where our money used to be and promises.

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #4771 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 16:38:35 »
It should not be an uphill climb it's only the current GB runners making it like this!

Offline nebo

« Reply #4772 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 16:40:15 »
Doesn't matter what it should be, it's what it is. Can only work from where we are. I don't care about the lost money, it's been gone for 2+ years now. I just want either a "this is over" or something from what I paid.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4773 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 00:03:47 »
It should not be an uphill climb it's only the current GB runners making it like this!

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4774 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 03:44:27 »
I think you're dramatically overstating the number of people who have ripped others off here.  I can only think of a small handful of buys that did.

No I'm not...I'm not stating it is a majority of the buys...it is definitely not..but it has happened enough....and generally by senior members..that is the worst part...Not just talking GBs either..

On other enthusiasts boards, you might get a random person that is basically stealing from people once every 4-5 years.....but it isn't one of your senior members (or maybe it is but they at least hide their identity).  Is that the case here?  no..it is far more often than that...and so I'm not overstating what I think...but I will clarify I don't mean it is a majority of the GBS or transactions....it is just a lot more often than it should be...Off the top of my head there are at least 4..and two that had stores here...

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #4775 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 08:29:52 »
"Senior Member" does not mean anything.
It is a title automatically given to members that post over a certain number of valid posts.

oh and if you want a "Exquisite Elder" with a color star you have to ask a admin to assign whatever star you want to you when you reach 1500 posts if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2015, 08:31:57 by domoaligato »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #4776 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 09:25:41 »
oh and if you want a "Exquisite Elder" with a color star you have to ask a admin to assign whatever star you want to you when you reach 1500 posts if I remember correctly.

there's only one robot! :P

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4777 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 11:34:37 »

No I'm not...I'm not stating it is a majority of the buys...it is definitely not..but it has happened enough....and generally by senior members..that is the worst part...Not just talking GBs either..

On other enthusiasts boards, you might get a random person that is basically stealing from people once every 4-5 years.....but it isn't one of your senior members (or maybe it is but they at least hide their identity).  Is that the case here?  no..it is far more often than that...and so I'm not overstating what I think...but I will clarify I don't mean it is a majority of the GBS or transactions....it is just a lot more often than it should be...Off the top of my head there are at least 4..and two that had stores here...

Could you please list what you are talking about?  I'm just asking for my own information, not to prove you wrong or anything.

I've been around a bit, have been part of a fair number of GB's, and not one of them has ever gone south.  Taken a while, maybe, but never just straight up scammed and scrammed.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4778 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 11:45:57 »
Only ones I know of off the top of my head are theprofosist (or however you spell it) with his, WFD, DrugER from LZ, and alixinhzai's aluminum case GB.

Offline limitz

« Reply #4779 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 12:37:19 »
There's also that girl who scammed a bunch of people with Mario caps. She claimed she was making them, took a bunch of money, and disappeared due to "health reasons."

Would be all fine and dandy, except she's super active on Twitter and Twitch, but doesn't respond to anyone from GH.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2015, 12:57:15 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4780 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 12:50:51 »
takaki with his acrylic phantom cases that never materialized.

There's also that girl was scammed a bunch of people with Mario caps. She claimed she was making them, took a bunch of money, and disappeared due to "health reasons."
Would be all fine and dandy, except she's super active on Twitter and Twitch, but doesn't respond to anyone from GH.

cherpalla

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4781 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 12:55:17 »
She was a new person here.  That one is particularly touchy because of the donating to the Smallfry fund element.  It always bugs me when people make money off of someone's death, even if they really do give most of the money to charity.  It's always worse when they use that as an opportunity to walk away with the money.

Offline limitz

« Reply #4782 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 12:59:16 »
She was a new person here.  That one is particularly touchy because of the donating to the Smallfry fund element.  It always bugs me when people make money off of someone's death, even if they really do give most of the money to charity.  It's always worse when they use that as an opportunity to walk away with the money.

Yea that's disgusting, profiting off someone's death like that. I don't advocated brigading and doxxing, but someone really needs to publicize more her scam, b/c it indicates how poor her quality of character is.

I can't imagine she would have twitch viewers anymore if people knew she was such a scummy scammer.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4783 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 13:04:37 »
Well, we don't know if she scammed or if the problems she was facing with getting it done became too much so she just ran away.  No matter what happened, it wasn't handled properly and it was shady.

Overall, the rate of scams to successful buys is pretty damn good here though. 

Offline limitz

« Reply #4784 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 13:08:29 »
Well, we don't know if she scammed or if the problems she was facing with getting it done became too much so she just ran away.  No matter what happened, it wasn't handled properly and it was shady.

Agree with the latter statement. For the most part, GB's are pretty well run here, and the risk is way overblown by Ripster. Every GB that's posted over there, he has to post his stupid "disclaimer".

As for the woman. If you take in other people's money, didn't deliver a product, don't respond, and didn't refund. That's a scammer to me, regardless of personal situation.

I cannot fathom any circumstance where you can't take 2-3 hours, and just refund everyone if you can't deliver.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #4785 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 13:43:46 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57263.msg1776503#msg1776503

in memoriam

Offline Glissant

« Reply #4786 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 14:00:36 »
'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4787 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 14:08:33 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57263.msg1776503#msg1776503

Thanks for that update JD.  Looks like the latter statement it was.  Good to hear that it's still going on, just facing major setbacks. 

There have been a couple of buys that have been perfect examples of how to handle setbacks and keeping people informed.  I know people wouldn't be so bitter if they had known what happened and were kept in the loop.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #4788 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 14:20:08 »
There have been a couple of buys that have been perfect examples of how to handle setbacks and keeping people informed.  I know people wouldn't be so bitter if they had known what happened and were kept in the loop.

What group buy organizers don't understand is that we participants realize that they are only human. People make mistakes, and sometimes do dumb things. If the organizer will admit their mistake, work to change it, and not repeat the mistake, it goes a long way toward keeping the faith in a group buy. Just keep things moving, even if all you can do is post a 5-second update stating that you are waiting on X, before you can do Y. Then actually deliver on what you say. That is all people expect.

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4789 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 16:05:26 »

What group buy organizers don't understand is that we participants realize that they are only human. People make mistakes, and sometimes do dumb things. If the organizer will admit their mistake, work to change it, and not repeat the mistake, it goes a long way toward keeping the faith in a group buy. Just keep things moving, even if all you can do is post a 5-second update stating that you are waiting on X, before you can do Y. Then actually deliver on what you say. That is all people expect.

Exactly that.  If costs increase, but I'm kept in the loop of the process and why they went up, I'm more than willing to pay a little extra.  If the organizer is moving, going on vacation, or something like that, that's more than acceptable, but it helps us to know so we don't get worried.  If work is super busy, we can wait.  If they're close enough and need help sorting, I'm there for part of the weekend helping out.  People on here are incredibly forgiving (for the most part) when you're honest about delays and/or price increase.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4790 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 17:26:35 »
So any proof that these exist and are in good shape and actually work (a few of the PCBs tested?). I have joked about proof of life photos in the past but given its now hit 2 years its valid. I am glad to hear there is planned movement on this group buy, but until i see these actually in the hands of someone who actually gives a damn, I have very little hope of seeing mine, This would be the 5th group buy i have lost money on at geekhack.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #4791 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 18:06:28 »
Did the hand-off ever happen?

Offline jabar

« Reply #4792 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 23:06:19 »
title should be Waiting for Godot
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4793 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 23:13:14 »
Cherpalla scammed people? Why am I not surprised lmao

Oh going the moz route of unfortunate events lol.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2015, 23:15:23 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4794 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 23:47:18 »

You should have faith in people sometimes ;)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4795 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 00:17:40 »

DTA

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4796 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 00:32:49 »

DTA

*shrug* I think you should a little. Just take enough precautions to cover yourself.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4797 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 00:57:09 »
My precautions is finally getting over the mentality of trying to own everything this place offers.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4798 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 04:01:39 »
"Senior Member" does not mean anything.
It is a title automatically given to members that post over a certain number of valid posts.

Do I really have to explain this?  I guess because this board uses that tag people might think this..

By Senior member..I mean a long standing (or semi long standing) reputation on the board.  They are known by other members because of their participation on the board...Has nothing to do with what the board calls you when you hit a certain level...

And so another one with this girl who was apparently a newish member..but the ones that stick out to me are the ones that were done by long standing members of the community...

I can definitely say..what allows it to happen is the people here seem to forget very quickly...I didn't even know Ripster posted stuff about GBs, my opinion was formed just on the number of scams that happened and I saw unfold....and it might be hard to accept but this community does have a problem with that....I'm not sure I have a solution..maybe some sort of GB Registrar with their personal information..but maybe that's too much...

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #4799 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 05:24:57 »
Did the hand-off ever happen?
negative...
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015