Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1624535 times)

Offline madderoftime

Re: GH60 Group Buy (WAITING FOR ???)
« Reply #5500 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 14:51:09 »
OK, since what has occurred thus far is the equivalent of fraud, has anyone done anything legally yet in the US? Geekhack is protected by their user agreement and this is not Geekhack at fault here. The person that takes money from people in return for work and then doesn't do that work is not protected by that. Especially when you get into thousands of USD. Also, accepting the funds makes this a job. So using the excuse of real life is ridiculous. Taking money makes this as real life a job as any. So thoughts?
GH60 Nevermore

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #5501 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 15:13:37 »
Things are moving and you need to take a deep breath.

Yeah, **** has gone wrong during this GB, but unlike a bunch of other ones, things have actually been created, and will be shipped (to the best of knowledge).

This whole place is run by enthusiasts (besides a couple of notable exceptions), and they're volunteering their time and energy. Yes, **** goes wrong but if you have a problem, there's always volunteering to help.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5502 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 15:18:07 »
OK, since what has occurred thus far is the equivalent of fraud, has anyone done anything legally yet in the US? Geekhack is protected by their user agreement and this is not Geekhack at fault here. The person that takes money from people in return for work and then doesn't do that work is not protected by that. Especially when you get into thousands of USD. Also, accepting the funds makes this a job. So using the excuse of real life is ridiculous. Taking money makes this as real life a job as any. So thoughts?

Captain obvious said so, all would agree with you pal, but it is basically the current state of affairs, unfortunately.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #5503 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 15:18:10 »
Ignorance is bliss.

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #5504 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 15:33:54 »

I'm pretty sure the US Justice department is more concerned with Domestic Terrorism right now.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5505 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 08:46:02 »

Unfortunately, this is one of the risks in participating in a group buy and we've had quite a few fall to pieces over the past couple of years. As others have said, it's moving forward and reliable people are involved so it should only be a matter of time until it's resolved.

However, you can sue anyone for anything these days, so if you want to sue WhiteFireDragon you most certainly can. Taking legal action has been discussed in other group buys and the consensus is that it probably isn't worth it in the long run. You'd be taking action, more-than-likely, across state lines and filing in small claims court for damages.

It is unfortunate that a group buy that started out so elegantly has degraded into such dis-array, but we're slowly climbing out of the hole and at least you're not alone in the process. We all have money tied up in this buy and many of us will not be getting the full amount back.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:52:39 by mashby »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #5506 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:01:16 »
from TJ to someone somewhere

to samwisekoi in California.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5507 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:03:34 »

Ok wasn't sure because the last thing that was mentioned about samwisekoi was he was having some sort of issues.

Offline gimpster

« Reply #5508 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:31:43 »
This whole place is run by enthusiasts (besides a couple of notable exceptions), and they're volunteering their time and energy. Yes, **** goes wrong but if you have a problem, there's always volunteering to help.

Being run by enthusiasts isn't a magic bullet for removing accountability...ESPECIALLY when people have paid real money for things. I'm so sick of people on this board continuing to further the expectation that there's no real responsibility involved when you start a Group Buy, or offer to fulfill some piece of it, and that when things go wrong (either through misfortune or your own negligence) that you don't owe anyone else anything for it. The organizers involved here may not have signed a legal document but the social contract when dealing with other people's property is pretty clear.

You mean the same samwisekoi that hasn't posted on the forum since May 29th or even logged into the forum since October 20th? So, we're effectively pinning all the hopes and dreams of ever receiving our property on a member who, despite being an Admin, is effectively an inactive member? I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but that just gives me all sorts of warm fuzzies down in my special place...  :rolleyes:
-Ryan

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5509 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 13:37:10 »

However, you can sue anyone for anything these days, so if you want to sue WhiteFireDragon you most certainly can. Taking legal action has been discussed in other group buys and the consensus is that it probably isn't worth it in the long run. You'd be taking action, more-than-likely, across state lines and filing in small claims court for damages.

Yeah, if anyone wants to track WFD down and sue him, more power to ya.  Beyond that, we twiddle our thumbs in anticipation.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5510 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 18:10:55 »
Being run by enthusiasts isn't a magic bullet for removing accountability...ESPECIALLY when people have paid real money for things. I'm so sick of people on this board continuing to further the expectation that there's no real responsibility involved when you start a Group Buy, or offer to fulfill some piece of it, and that when things go wrong (either through misfortune or your own negligence) that you don't owe anyone else anything for it. The organizers involved here may not have signed a legal document but the social contract when dealing with other people's property is pretty clear.

Although I agree with you 100% from a technical and ethical perspective, the logistics of actually doing something is fairly limited. Feels like I'm throwing salt in the wound here, which I don't mean to, but reputation is about the only leverage we have. WFD has chosen to leave the community so our leverage is nil in this regard.

You mean the same samwisekoi that hasn't posted on the forum since May 29th or even logged into the forum since October 20th? So, we're effectively pinning all the hopes and dreams of ever receiving our property on a member who, despite being an Admin, is effectively an inactive member? I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but that just gives me all sorts of warm fuzzies down in my special place...  :rolleyes:

Yes and the same samwisekoi that handled the fulfillment for one of the largest group buys to great success, as well as other group buys and has a long standing relationship with the community. He was also a big help in educating me on what to expect in the first group buy I helped ship.

Not seeing progress on the US side of this group buy doesn't add any confidence, I know, but personally, I was excited to learn that samwisekoi was stepping up to help us out. He's not the only one either and there are plenty of others standing in the wings to assist as well.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5511 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 19:50:47 »
I was going to check in and see if I could change my shipping address or if I still have an order, but I see this is going as usual, so I'll just back away.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #5512 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 00:18:52 »

God no it's not any magic bullet. I'm out the materials for 2 GH60s myself not to mention I'm part of the SF40 GB. I'm pissed at WFD, TFR, and Schuyler Towne (he ran a kickstarter that still hasn't delivered) for what they pulled. I'm well aware of exactly what's at stake. There's a lot of responsibility that goes with starting a group buy. It's not something to be taken lightly. Running something this massive isn't simple or easy and one of the biggest reasons I've never tried is because I'm not sure I could finish it in a timely fashion.

But that doesn't make those that fail any less human. Would I trust WFD to ever run another GB? Hell no. Would I caution others against it? I'd flat out tell them getting involved with anything from him is complete idiocy. But, I also understand that very few of us here are "professional GB runners". Even the companies that do this professionally *cough cough MASSDROP cough cough* get NO end of complaints and issues The world isn't perfect, this is a great learning experience for every single one of us on what can happen when you try to create something. Sometimes **** goes south in horrible ways. Sometimes people aren't reliable. Sometimes stuff is way beyond your control and you get to sit there and watch the ship sink and get frustrated because you can't do anything.

Here we've got a chance to get our stuff. yeah, it's late, yeah, stuff got weird, yeah, they'll be outdated, but at least we're not in a situation like sherry where they just stopped fufilling on their orders (and that was a reputable store!) or DrugER who just scammed people out of their money. There are a couple of people who have actually handled group buys and done them well involved.

Bunny has run several group buys and is paying to fix TFR's mistakes out of pocket, not to mention actually got the boards out of china AND got the first boards out to people.
Samwisekoi has also run several group buys sucessfully.

People come here, post a rant of how they're pissed, threatening legal action or whatever, then dissapear. It neither helps find a solution nor makes those who have stepped up to fix it likely to continue doing it (why would you help the people threatening you?), or even make them want to continue helping. And I want my boards and switches and plates just as much as everyone else. So i'll keep offering constructive criticism, and offering to help instead, because I want to see this finished, not just showing up so I can make threats and leave. That doesn't help.

I hold the people who don't get it done responsible and won't do buisness with them again, but I'm not gonna go ape on those who don't have the capacity to follow through.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #5513 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 05:34:49 »
samwisekoi is the most reliable and professional person I know on this forum. I trust him more than any other 10k-posts user here. If he really gets the pcbs and plates it would be the best thing happened to this GB.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #5514 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 05:51:14 »
I can't think of many other members I would rather have trying to sort this mess out than Matt3o, Bunny, and Samwisekoi.

Offline madderoftime

« Reply #5515 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:01:14 »
I am more than willing to help as well. I asked what had been done as I was curious. I live in Michigan, have shipped freight many times through other companies and often take my own tractor trailer to pick up freight. I've shipped thousands of items in the past few years. What can I do to help? My other talents are not anything I can think here would be of use. (welding, masonry, carpentry, HVAC)
I do know the reality is if someone wants to get this done everything to do this shouldn't cost more than $350 USD to ship anywhere in the US. So if the parts are sitting somewhere can a more local person pick them up?
GH60 Nevermore

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5516 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:05:25 »
I am more than willing to help as well. I asked what had been done as I was curious. I live in Michigan, have shipped freight many times through other companies and often take my own tractor trailer to pick up freight. I've shipped thousands of items in the past few years. What can I do to help? My other talents are not anything I can think here would be of use. (welding, masonry, carpentry, HVAC)
I do know the reality is if someone wants to get this done everything to do this shouldn't cost more than $350 USD to ship anywhere in the US. So if the parts are sitting somewhere can a more local person pick them up?

They are sitting in the DFW, TX area, if TJ still has them.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5517 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:16:41 »
Has anyone besides TJ seen any of this stuff? Do we even know what shape it is in? Realistically what should be expected from PCB's that have been sitting for so long? Just trying to manage expectations.

Has anyone built a GH60 recently? Perhaps some of our EU friends?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #5518 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:24:24 »
Has anyone besides TJ seen any of this stuff? Do we even know what shape it is in? Realistically what should be expected from PCB's that have been sitting for so long? Just trying to manage expectations.

I know Bunny had a GH60 built.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5519 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:45:06 »

The ones shipped in EU are OK, many people already built their boards and there were no problems reported. I just got my hands on one and I can say it looks fine, didn't see anything wrong. As soon as I have some time to build it I will be able to say more.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #5520 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:06:24 »

the pcbs i had were made at the same time and i have 4 built up and working with no issues
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5521 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:08:53 »
There are a lot of feels that we've been batting about in the last few posts and I don't mean to derail the conversation further, but I did find something interesting that might be worth a read.

Kickstarter is hiring an investigative journalist to write a story about the collapse of the Zano drone project on Kickstarter, its largest project ever to have been funded in Europe.

This doesn't apply necessarily to this group buy, since GH didn't take a percentage of the funds collected, but it's a bold and interesting move by Kickstarter -- one that I like a lot.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5522 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 13:40:23 »

I'd be happy with a picture at this point, just to confirm everything is still alive.

Of course, the last time anyone asked for pics, that turned into a mess with people accusing people of "not trusting" people and wanting to start a pitchfork mob. 

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #5523 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 15:34:58 »

I'd be happy with a picture at this point, just to confirm everything is still alive.

Of course, the last time anyone asked for pics, that turned into a mess with people accusing people of "not trusting" people and wanting to start a pitchfork mob. 

The DSA dolch/joker/redline groupbuy ruined the passion I once had for contributing to the keyboard enthusiast community. I am not comparing that group buy to this one. But I will not join any more group buys until I get what I bought from this one. Proof of life would help to at least give us some hope that this will eventually come to an end.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5524 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 15:56:35 »

The DSA dolch/joker/redline groupbuy ruined the passion I once had for contributing to the keyboard enthusiast community. I am not comparing that group buy to this one. But I will not join any more group buys until I get what I bought from this one. Proof of life would help to at least give us some hope that this will eventually come to an end.

Have a seat, or even better a bed.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5525 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:34:17 »
I was just asking for a picture of the goods from TJ, which is a reasonable request based on the circumstances.
The original payment deadline was 06/30/13.
That is 2 and 1/2 years since I gave my money to TJ.
How is it not acceptable to ask for a picture of the goods?

WTF is this even supposed to mean?
I will not "Have a seat, or even better a bed". And I will not go down to your level of publicly, insulting others to try to get my way.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #5526 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:39:35 »

I took it to mean that if you're waiting to receive your goods from this buy before joining another group buy here, you might be waiting a while.

Sorry this buy made you jaded, bro. You gave a lot to this project. I think I will spill the secret next.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5527 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:40:45 »
sir go ahead. I don't even care at this point.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #5528 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:41:57 »
None but a very few people know this, but domo donated a bunch of silver and gold metallic stickers with the GH60 logo, made by Shadovved, to this buy. Everyone's order was supposed to have one of each packed in as a surprise. He paid for them out of his own pocket, out of kindness and excitement for this group buy.

in memoriam

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #5529 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:43:08 »
I was just asking for a picture of the goods from TJ, which is a reasonable request based on the circumstances.

I will not "Have a seat, or even better a bed". And I will not go down to your level of publicly, insulting others to try to get my way.

hey good sir, i dont know what your full order looks like, but back when i was fairly new here you helped me get in to this buy, im not sure what you ordered as i say but i have a spare gh60 pcb on hand, tons of switches, lots of stabs, basically anything you may have ordered aside from a plate, and id be happy to gift it to you, i know that isnt what you are trying to achieve with your posts, but if you are also anxious for the board, perhaps this may help

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5530 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:43:29 »
None but a very few people know this, but domo donated a bunch of silver and gold metallic stickers with the GH60 logo, made by Shadovved to this buy. Everyone's order was supposed to have one of each packed in as a surprise.

what kind of makes this funnier is that I had Shadovved make them before he was deployed in the military and he has already came back after that tour of duty. This has been going on for so long...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #5531 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:45:00 »

hey good sir, i dont know what your full order looks like, but back when i was fairly new here you helped me get in to this buy, im not sure what you ordered as i say but i have a spare gh60 pcb on hand, tons of switches, lots of stabs, basically anything you may have ordered aside from a plate, and id be happy to gift it to you, i know that isnt what you are trying to achieve with your posts, but if you are also anxious for the board, perhaps this may help

I have a spare universal layout plate on hand that I will send, as well.

in memoriam

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5532 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:45:21 »

That's not needed but thanks for the gesture. I just want TJ to post and tell us wtf is going on.

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #5533 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:10:55 »
I can agree there. I'd love to see pictures to just see pictures.

What's a bummer is that I've been in the DFW area twice this year. I totally would have loved to just spend an extra weekend in the area and get stuff shipped.

TJ, if you even come this way anymore, it would be awesome to see pics, just to see them before they ship.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #5534 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 17:28:02 »

Feels. These ones sting a bit.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #5535 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 05:09:18 »
How long did the EU mainland PCB orders usually take to arrive? Supposedly mine is on its way for two weeks now.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #5536 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 05:10:33 »
How long did the EU mainland PCB orders usually take to arrive? Supposedly mine is on its way for two weeks now.

can take anywhere from 4 - 21 business days

normally on the earlier side of that, but what with christmas etc sometimes longer i guess

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5537 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 11:10:20 »
I can tell you from my experience with packages from UK, these are shipped not by DHL but GLS, I never had one delivered by DHL. So if you didn't already done that, check on GLS website and see what's the status. They never hurry with a delivery. It takes around 7-10 days to get delivered, GLS has only some predefined days when they dispatch the parcels. Hope it helps.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #5538 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 14:57:01 »
Hey Bunny,
did you get my PM regarding shipping address change? Didn't receive a reply from you.

Offline Nask

« Reply #5539 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 14:45:12 »
It's a bit difficult to catch recent news, what about batch 6 ? Especially for people like me (EU) order GH60 assembled :x
Keyboards: IBM SSK | Noppoo Choc Mini MX-Blue | PLU ML-87 MX-Brown | CM QFR Mx-Red | CM Novatouch

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5540 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 14:49:19 »
It's a bit difficult to catch recent news, what about batch 6 ? Especially for people like me (EU) order GH60 assembled :x

The plates are still somewhere in the US so no chance of getting an assembled board yet :(
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Glissant

« Reply #5541 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 23:23:30 »
Remember when we thought all we were waiting for were stab wires?

Thanks to the ones that have helped and tried to help this group buy get fulfilled.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #5542 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 18:36:00 »
Remember when we thought all we were waiting for were stab wires was rev.c?

Thanks to the ones that have helped and tried to help this group buy get fulfilled.

Fixed.

But I echo the sentiment regarding the rescue party we now have on board, and those who have aided and abetted throughout the process.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5543 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 11:07:36 »
But I echo the sentiment regarding the rescue party we now have on board, and those who have aided and abetted throughout the process.

Rescue party. I like that.  :thumb:

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #5544 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:37:44 »
I hereby officially declare myself beaten if I can't have the boards moved by January 15th.

I tried all I could and we were able at least to move the boards from China, so this was not a complete disaster at least. I'll try again to get these US boards moving in the coming days, but if that doesn't happen you'll have to find yourself another idiot enthusiast who maybe will be luckier than myself.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 13:01:54 by Matt3o »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5545 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:41:25 »
This is almost the saddest group buy on here.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #5546 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:42:51 »
This is almost the saddest group buy in here.

Almost? Which one(s) has/have been worse?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5547 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:43:23 »

For me personally the smallfry 40% buy.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #5548 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:43:57 »

For me personally the smallfry buy.

I'll have to read up on that.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5549 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:53:52 »
I hereby officially declare myself beaten if I can't have the boards moved by January 15th.

I tried all I could and we were able at least to move the boards from China, so this was not a complete disaster at least. I'll try again to get these US boards moving in the coming days, but if that doesn't happen you'll have to find yourself another idiot enthusiast who maybe will be more lucky than myself.
So is this entire buy hung up on TJ not shipping anything to samwisekoi?