Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1624547 times)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
Re: GH60 Group Buy (CLOSED)
« Reply #1400 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 12:28:31 »
you guys are awesome!
I think that idea someone had a few pages back about making some key caps to say thank you would be really cool.
+1 spock

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1401 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:20:23 »
ok take my money already
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1402 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:28:57 »
We're going through orders right now and finalizing everything right now. Tallying up all the switches and stabilizers will be a *****. Invoicing will be a ***** since every order is different, but that's on tjcaustin :p

I think it'll be a lot easier if we just got all PCB-mounted switches. The PBC has holes for them, and taking advantage of the extra plastic pegs is a really secure and solid way to mount the switches, even with the plate. If you ordered switches for other keyboards that can only use plate-mounted switch, just clip those plastic legs off. It takes 5-10 minutes to do a whole bag of switches:

t=5m3s

Any mass objections to getting only PCB-mounted switches? It'll simplify invoicing, ordering swithches, and sorting the thousands of switches.

I sent a last-minute order modification to WFD via PM yesterday, but I don't think it has been applied.
You PMed me at 4am today. I sleep sometimes  ^-^

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #1403 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:37:18 »
We're going through orders right now and finalizing everything right now. Tallying up all the switches and stabilizers will be a *****. Invoicing will be a ***** since every order is different, but that's on tjcaustin :p

I think it'll be a lot easier if we just got all PCB-mounted switches. The PBC has holes for them, and taking advantage of the extra plastic pegs is a really secure and solid way to mount the switches, even with the plate. If you ordered switches for other keyboards that can only use plate-mounted switch, just clip those plastic legs off. It takes 5-10 minutes to do a whole bag of switches:

t=5m3s

Any mass objections to getting only PCB-mounted switches? It'll simplify invoicing, ordering swithches, and sorting the thousands of switches.

No problem for me. :)  Just means the board will be more solid.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1404 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:45:14 »

No objection.

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #1405 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:49:23 »

I think this is a great idea! Will the switches ordered through 7bit also be PCB mounted? :)
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1406 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:57:01 »
Any mass objections to getting only PCB-mounted switches? It'll simplify invoicing, ordering switches, and sorting the thousands of switches.

I thought that was already the plan. isn't that also cheaper?

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #1407 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 19:27:57 »
I ordered PCB mount because they're better for lining up the plate to the PCB.  Would probably be a ton of PM's to send to people who ordered a load of plate-mounted switches, but might get a better response?
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1408 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:13:49 »
Any mass objections to getting only PCB-mounted switches? It'll simplify invoicing, ordering switches, and sorting the thousands of switches.

I don't know what difference it makes, honestly. If you think it's just as solid, go ahead.

Offline hankz

« Reply #1409 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:37:14 »

I don't know what difference it makes, honestly. If you think it's just as solid, go ahead.

PCB mount

Flickr 上 Hank.ZDSC03377

PLATE mount(first row in pic)

Flickr 上 Hank.ZDSC03370

Offline orlando

« Reply #1410 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:38:26 »

You can use PCB mounted switches without or with a plate. You can only use plate mounted switches with a plate. Hope that helps.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1411 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 21:01:25 »

You can use PCB mounted switches without or with a plate. You can only use plate mounted switches with a plate. Hope that helps.

So you can mount PCB switches into the plate? Well, that's convenient.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #1412 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 21:29:07 »

You have to snip the plastic peg things off.

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #1413 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 21:34:11 »
I don't see any reason why this would be an issue, since we have holes for them.  PCB mount + plate = super stable, right?  :)

Besides I just snipped off the legs of the 80-whatever switches for the phantom I just put together this weekend, because PCB mount was what I had on hand.  Took me less than 10 mins.

You only have to if the board doesn't have holes for them.  They're just not needed if there's a plate.  The GH60 board does have holes for them.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1414 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 21:34:39 »

No you don't have to. If you're just mounting on the plate, they don't need to be snipped off. The only time you'd need to snip them off is when the PCB doesn't have holes for the pegs, like Filco or Phantom. But for all Korean boards, pokers/pure, and GH60, there are holes in the PCB so you should leave them on. Installing a plate and using those two pegs makes a rock solid mount of switches. I would advise to leave them on.

I should have mentioned this little tip earlier.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #1415 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 21:37:47 »

No you don't have to. If you're just mounting on the plate, they don't need to be snipped off. The only time you'd need to snip them off is when the PCB doesn't have holes for the pegs, like Filco or Phantom. But for all Korean boards, pokers/pure, and GH60, there are holes in the PCB so you should leave them on. Installing a plate and using those two pegs makes a rock solid mount of switches. I would advise to leave them on.

I should have mentioned this little tip earlier.
Huh the more you know eh?  Thanks for this tip m8

Offline bear95

« Reply #1416 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 21:47:07 »
uhhh... do you think we can change to pcb mount if we ordered from 7bit?

Offline agor

« Reply #1417 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 03:11:05 »
Hope my order is clear that I want Ergo Clears. It says "Clears/Greys" in the comments, and that I'm about to source the springs myself :)

Just so you know, the $25 assembly fee doesn't include opening every switch to replace springs. That will definitely be extra.

No, I'm doing this myself. Just wanted to be precise that I want tactile switches, as you mentioned that you erred with the greys a few pages back or so. I'm fine waiting for switches from 7bit
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
Re: GH60 Group Buy (12 HOURS LEFT)
« Reply #1418 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 04:41:06 »
Geekhack op price for switch is $0.60 but on 7bit it is $0.71. Would ordering on geekhack be cheaper? Price is not guaranteed but possibly?
In theory it is cheaper, except that nobody answered the question if this will be the final price.

Also, there is still no definite information about which switches are  available and if they are in stock and when they will be delivered ...

It surely does not make sense that people order from me and pay a bit extra to get them later. So, some more definite information from the GB organisers about the switches they can source would be nice.

:-)
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline v4mp1

« Reply #1419 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:22:55 »
I'm new to geekhack, one question, only the right keycaps are double shots rights?

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1420 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:31:12 »
I'm new to geekhack, one question, only the right keycaps are double shots rights?

Show Image

Doesn't look double shot to me, just thicker?

Also, why would you not make a thread for that?

Offline Muffet

• Man of many paths
« Reply #1421 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:32:41 »
Double shots are made by first molding the legend in one color plastic, then molding the rest of the cap around that in a different color plastic. The image you provided shows a thin wall and thick wall only.

Painted QFR    Cherry ML for Work

Offline bear95

« Reply #1422 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 09:16:03 »
Geekhack op price for switch is $0.60 but on 7bit it is $0.71. Would ordering on geekhack be cheaper? Price is not guaranteed but possibly?
In theory it is cheaper, except that nobody answered the question if this will be the final price.

Also, there is still no definite information about which switches are  available and if they are in stock and when they will be delivered ...

It surely does not make sense that people order from me and pay a bit extra to get them later. So, some more definite information from the GB organisers about the switches they can source would be nice.

:-)

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
And to answer my other question, would it be too bothersome/late to change my order from plate-mounted to pcb mounted?

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1423 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 09:29:29 »
Isn't it about time we leave the orders alone, and let the staff tally things up?

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #1424 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:11:42 »
I'm scared to see what my invoice is gonna look like...
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1425 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:15:11 »

It'll be white with black and blue letters. Perhaps some yellow too.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #1426 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:22:53 »

It'll be white with black and blue letters. Perhaps some yellow too.

Mine's got red all over it.  Oh wait... that's my bank statement.   :'(

Offline mickd

« Reply #1427 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 19:40:31 »
Sorry about that, could you change my stabilizers to PCB mount instead? I've got the universal plates, so they'll be necessary anyways :)

Also, could someone explain a bit about the difference between white and dark gray switches as compared to say blues and browns? My favourite switch so far are browns and I generally prefer lighter switches.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1428 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 20:16:56 »
Dark Grey are heavy and Linear. Light grey have a bump similar to clears
SmallFry! <3

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #1429 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 17:53:52 »
I think i'm gonna be sick.

I forgot about this for a while, and just came back today to check on it...

And this is the first time i'm learning the GH60 has entered group buy status... and the deadline is already passed!!!

If anyone wants to give up one spot for a full ansi kit w/ plate...

Or if you guys could possibly (and i realize this is unlikely) add another order, despite the passed deadline (that i've just learned about)...

That would be pretty great.

Meanwhile, i'll be sulking with the force of 1000 facepalms.
Logitech G710+

Offline cobraj

« Reply #1430 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 18:08:23 »

And this is the first time i'm learning the GH60 has entered group buy status... and the deadline is already passed!!!

Or if you guys could possibly (and i realize this is unlikely) add another order, despite the passed deadline (that i've just learned about)...

Aww man. That sucks :(

Hope you get what you need :D

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #1431 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 18:40:01 »
There were only like 700 ordered... I am sure that someone will not be able to pay come next month's deadline
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #1432 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 18:43:44 »
Which type of usb connector has been chosen?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #1433 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 18:48:20 »
Mini B

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1434 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 22:37:25 »
Hmm... if I can find the right kind of female micro usb connector for the ErgoDox, I might use one for this as well.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1435 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 01:37:48 »
Hmm... if I can find the right kind of female micro usb connector for the ErgoDox, I might use one for this as well.

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/mamiusbtofem.html?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKDsuKfc57YCFSHhQgodjzYABQ

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1436 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 03:38:32 »
Question... Does a 1.25x Enter key currently exist for a GH60 plate layout?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1437 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 03:52:45 »

Mini B. The solder pads are completely in different locations between the SMD micro and mini connectors, so they're not interchangeable even if you sourced your own. Your best bet for going micro USB is with an adapter similar to what domoaligator linked.

Question... Does a 1.25x Enter key currently exist for a GH60 plate layout?

Yes

Offline mauri

« Reply #1438 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 06:57:44 »
When shud one get an invoice?
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #1439 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 08:16:08 »
I'd imagine it'll be a little while yet as the organisers need to sort through ~400 orders including PCBs, plates, switches, stabilizers, assembly requests and checking that people haven't ordered totally the wrong things...
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1440 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:39:30 »

I'm sure there will be a lot of pokers coming on the market soon. They won't be as versatile as the Gh60, but they're still a damn nice keyboard
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1441 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:12:25 »
Massdrop has a pure gb atm
SmallFry! <3

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1442 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:36:43 »
Massdrop has a pure gb atm

Pure pro, with a weird layout.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1443 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:41:31 »
I like weird layouts. That's why I like GH60 :D
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: GH60 Group Buy (CLOSED)
« Reply #1444 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:54:19 »
I like weird layouts. That's why I like GH60 :D
GH60 FTW

Btw thanks for including it as i though i was the only one that wanted it or, at least I was when we started the proto boards

Offline Trueno86

« Reply #1445 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:39:31 »
I haven't received an invoice.. should I be concerned???

Offline mauri

« Reply #1446 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:43:58 »
I'd imagine it'll be a little while yet as the organisers need to sort through ~400 orders including PCBs, plates, switches, stabilizers, assembly requests and checking that people haven't ordered totally the wrong things...

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #1447 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:45:48 »

I'm sure there will be a lot of pokers coming on the market soon. They won't be as versatile as the Gh60, but they're still a damn nice keyboard

And that versatility was key (oh that's a pun isn't it). There is a (are some) reason(s) i waited for the GH60, instead of getting a poker or pure. A GH60 can be anything from a poker to the GH60-Max. And it's special! And, it would take the GH60 (or something very close) to justify dropping/replacing my g710+. I know the g710+ got plenty of hate and jeers, but the only thing i really dislike about it is the size. I love the muted browns, the white led's, the volume roller, and have found at least a few uses for the g-keys... i even like the way it looks (orange thingy notwithstanding, though also not an issue; i'm rather neutral on it). It's just too wide (i say that as it rests upon a razer goliath deskpad...), and i spent a lot of time looking/waiting for the perfect smaller solution. I like that the GH60 is something not everyone will have, is small and "easy" to mod/alter... and i get all "breezy" thinking about programmable function layers. Had the GH60 been available before the g710+, i'd have opted for that instead. But it wasn't, so i got the g710+ and waited... ever so patiently. :P

In the last month, i've spent 2 weeks blowing over a year worth of dust out of my case and radiator, having a water loop maintenance accident, killing my pair of gtx 275's, dropping a chunk of change on a used 590, reconfiguring my loop, and have been trying to "catch up" ever since. Before that, i was, as many often do, having life-complicating personal (and interpersonal) problems (still am), and hadn't even thought about keyboards since sometime in Jan/Feb.

When i came to check on the GH60 status, seeing it in testing/prototyping phase last i checked... my spirit was crushed upon finding that not only had the GB already started over a month ago, but the deadline had only just passed, this week.

I was like:

"...and now this..."

And here we are.

However, my hopes are not entirely crushed, just yet... :)
Logitech G710+

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
GH60 Group Buy (CLOSED)
« Reply #1448 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:50:18 »
Also, much of this is being sourced/manufactured in China, as you might imagine. We are still in the process of getting prices locked in for everything. The good news for you guys is that we are trying out best to save everyone money where we can. Invoicing can't happen until we know for certain what all the prices are. We had no way of knowing when this GB began that we would be placing an order for over 700 PCBs. But it's a nice surprise, to be sure. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mauri

« Reply #1449 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:54:39 »
This is a one small step for man, one giant leap for geekkind